Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Remove RAW images when both RAW and JPEG format images of the same photo occur

Hello everyone

I have just downloaded 1600 photos from my daughter in law's camera to my iMac.

After completing the download I found that every image had been taken in both RAW and JPEG format.

In the iPhoto library, every image appears twice, with the same file name on each of the two. However, the RAW "image" does not actually appear as an image, but as a black space the same size as the JPEG image.

I understand this is because some versions of iPhoto cannot read RAW images.

My setup: Mid 2011 quad core 2.5 GHz iMac; OS X 10.8.5; iPhoto 11(v. 9.4.2). The camera was a Canon EOS 1000D

I'm asking for advice on how to get rid of the RAW images. I could delete them manually of course but that would involve deleting 800 images - a very tedious task.

An Internet search for solutions came up with two possible solutions.

One suggestion is to use a program such as iPhoto library manager to remove duplicates. I am not sure whether the same image in different formats with the same file number actually meets the definition of duplicates. If it does not, then this suggestion will not solve the problem; if they do, in fact, count as duplicates, the question is whether the RAW image or the JPEG image will be deleted.

A second suggestion was to create a smart album which will include all the RAW files, and then to delete the album. The problem with this is that while it will remove the album, it will not delete the RAW images from the library.

I would be very grateful for any other suggestions members of the forum could make.

Best wishes

audax2

The easiest way that immediately comes to mind would be to delete them all and import them from the camera again; just not straight into iPhoto. ImageCapture.app (built in) will import the pictures if you don't have anything else, but Canon make decent software for importing images from their cameras.

If you import them so they're all in the same folder, you could just sort by file type in a list view and delete all the ones you don't want, which will all be together in the folder. Then import them into iPhoto.

However, deleting raw files if you have them is not prudent in my opinion. JPEGs have a vast amount of information already discarded from what was in the raw file and that information is worth having for those 5 or 10 awesome shots, or maybe just the one you want to get printed at 16" X 20". In this time of cheap storage, throwing away good data just doesn't make sense.

I would be doing what I have to do to get iPhoto to recognise the raw files - probably just a Camera RAW update - and then import them into iPhoto. You could keep the JPEGs if you want and use them as required.

Another thought would be to - once you get the raw files recognised in iPhoto - just use albums so that you're not viewing the doubles all the time, but still have the raw files when you need them. To me there is nothing to gain from deleting the raw files, but potentially something to lose.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Can't you search by file format in iPhoto? I don't have it on my machine as I am on lightroom.
    http://twitter.com/TheMissionMan / Photo Page
    MacBook Air 13" 2.0GHz i7/8GB/512GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad Mini LTE 64GB, Nikon D700, MB-D10, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x, SB700, SB600, Benro C3580T, Benro GH-1, Benro C48T

Thank you for your helpful comments Soulman and Missionman.

Taking into account your remarks about the value of raw images, Soulman, I have decided to retain the RAW images.

Missionman, I could not find any way to search by file format in iPhoto. I did try exporting a few of the films to a desktop folder and found that although the Get Info command in iPhoto described them as RAW images, in the folder to which they were exported they were described as JPEG files. However I could tell which was which, because of the file size. The ones which were JPEG images in iPhoto appeared in the desktop folder as 38 KB images, whereas those which were shown as RAW images in iPhoto showed up as 7 KB images in the desktop folder.

Had I decided to go ahead with deletion of all the raw images, I could have sorted them by file size in the desktop folder, and then deleted all the 7KB images.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

7KB or 7MB? KB seems ridiculously small for a raw image
    http://twitter.com/TheMissionMan / Photo Page
    MacBook Air 13" 2.0GHz i7/8GB/512GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad Mini LTE 64GB, Nikon D700, MB-D10, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x, SB700, SB600, Benro C3580T, Benro GH-1, Benro C48T

I agree: it's very odd. Here's the situation. In iPhoto, using "Info" on the visible images indicates that they are JPEG files with a size of about 4.1 MB. Using "Info" on the files with the same image numbers which are simply dark black indicates that they are RAW files with the size of about 3.9 MB.

On the other hand, if I look at the images which I exported to a desktop folder, both the real images and the blank images with the same file number are described as JPEG images. The real images size in the folder is recorded as around 4 MB, and the blank images are recorded as around 7 KB. if I use "Get info", the real images are recorded as around 41 KB, and the and the blank images are recorded as 7 KB, as reported previously. I have no explanation for these bizarre inconsistencies.

Well, that's all a bit confusing. Hard to know what to make of it.

One thing that does seem likely is that you're not exporting the images as they were imported, but rather reprocessed by iPhoto. This is hard to avoid with iPhoto; in the version I have, the export options are all about making new images - hence the ability to set JPG compression & size - not actually to make a copy of what's there as you would do in Finder. To get an idea of the characteristics of the actual images, while in iPhoto, go to the File menu and select Reveal in Finder -> Original File. That shows you the actual imported image. Don't try to move images out of or into these folders directly though as you'll freak iPhoto out. Copying files to another location is fine, but just don't modify the iPhoto folders.

It's also odd that the JPEGs would be larger than the RAW images, though I think iPhoto might be exporting them as nothing because it's not actually reading them, because it doesn't recognise the format. I'd be trying to update the Camera RAW definitions so iPhoto can recognise the RAW files before I went too much further.

I would do as soulman suggested and re-import. However I would suggest using imagecapture.app and import to a separate unrelated folder. If image capture only gives you black then get rid of them, they will do nothing except take up space, albeit 7k. 7k x800 is still significant enough to be an annoyance. After you've done that, delete the entire imported bunch from iphoto, then re-import from the folder you just downloaded to.

Seems to me its not an issue of losing the RAW files. For some reason they have not recorded properly anyway. If they were unable to be read by iphoto, you'd get a message saying so (voice of experience here, and its bloody annoying).

Thank you for your helpful comments Soulman and Kyte. Sorry to have taken so long to reply.

I did what you suggested Soulman, using the File> Reveal in Finder> Original File. This showed a Finder folder with the images (together with tiny thumbnails), described as Canon Camera Raw files. When I tried to open one of them from the Finder folder, nothing happened with iPhoto, but an old version of Photoshop Elements opened. It could not open the folders either.

You were quite right: iPhoto is exporting the actual placeholders for the photos ( which is why they are only 7KB), but not exporting the contents.

As far as updating Camera RAW definitions is concerned, according to the Apple support website, Camera RAW definitions for a Canon 1000D are fully supported by the versions of Mountain Lion and iPhoto which I am using.

Kyte, unfortunately I cannot reimport the photos, because the camera belongs to my daughter-in-law who is moving overseas in a few days.

I may have to put this project aside temporarily as I cannot spend any more time on it the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by audax2 View Post
    Thank you for your helpful comments Soulman and Kyte. Sorry to have taken so long to reply.

I did what you suggested Soulman, using the File> Reveal in Finder> Original File. This showed a Finder folder with the images (together with tiny thumbnails), described as Canon Camera Raw files. When I tried to open one of them from the Finder folder, nothing happened with iPhoto, but an old version of Photoshop Elements opened. It could not open the folders either.

You were quite right: iPhoto is exporting the actual placeholders for the photos ( which is why they are only 7KB), but not exporting the contents.

As far as updating Camera RAW definitions is concerned, according to the Apple support website, Camera RAW definitions for a Canon 1000D are fully supported by the versions of Mountain Lion and iPhoto which I am using.

Kyte, unfortunately I cannot reimport the photos, because the camera belongs to my daughter-in-law who is moving overseas in a few days.

I may have to put this project aside temporarily as I cannot spend any more time on it the moment.
    I don't quite understand what your DIL moving with the camera has to do with it. Or, have you been using the camera with a card in it to download to the computer. In which case, stop. If you have a card reader in the computer use that, and if you don't, then get one.
    Are the photos still on the card? If so, it may actually be the camera which is at fault in all of this. And, if the photos are still on the card which is in the camera, then you need to get that card, and buy a new one for her to take with her.

Thank you for the comment Kyte. I won't bore you with the details, but my daughter-in-law is in PNG, and I no longer have access to the card.

I'm leaving the problem for the time being. I don't have any more time to spend on it.

Allan

OK, the idea was to do it before she went. Swap out the card, give her a new one. Too late now, everything will be overwritten.