Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default To Sell or Not to Sell - iPod Classic

I've been thinking about this lately and wanted to see what everyone else thought. I have an Apple refurbished 160GB iPod Classic here, that is replacement units for a defective iPod that was returned to Apple under warranty. While it isn't a boxed unit (refurbished replacements aren't), it's still contained in its protective plastic. The closest it has come to being removed from the plastic is when the lower portion was gently peeled back to connect a dock connector cable and condition the battery.

As we're aware, the iPod Classic was officially discontinued earlier this year. It resulted in a rush to purchase remaining inventory from Apple Stores and authorised retailers because it seems likely that these click-wheel based iPods will become much harder to find in the coming years.

I have another iPod already - a 30GB Video 5G. I would keep the 160GB as a backup unit for the event that the 30GB Video fails, but it doesn't seem worth it to leave an otherwise perfectly functioning and never used unit on a shelf to deteriorate over time. I also can't see myself using the full capacity of the 160GB iPod. I could still easily contain my entire music library on a 30GB iPod at this stage and still have 15GB to spare.

I'm almost certain that selling the unit is the right decision, but I still have to ask whether it sounds like I'm making the right decision. I haven't been able to think of a use for it at the present time, nor do I see such a scenario coming up in the future, but if I sell this one now, there's little chance of me finding another one again. It's a bit of a difficult call.

There's also the question of "how much would an iPod Classic like the one pictured above (with case + accessories) sell for?". If someone has an idea here then I'd certainly be interested to know, otherwise I may need to consider submitting the same question in the Price Check area. At the moment I'll keep this to one thread though.

Cheers,

iMic.

I have two Classics, one lives in the glovebox of my car, connected to the car's multimedia interface and acts as my jukebox with my entire music collection (which is still growing), the second lives on my LifeFitness exercise bike which has the 30 pin connector interface and I use that Classic to store motivational (distraction) videos (which are displayed on the bike's large screen) for when I hit the pedals.
    I think they are still great units, mainly due to the capacity, and I will be keeping both of mine.
    Though Apple has dropped the Classic from their site if you use Google you will find several other outlets are still selling them.

Though I'm only irregularly on here anymore due to other pursuits, I specifically checked tonight as my 30gb iPod Colour just died due to me connecting it to something with too much current (oops) so I'm after a new one. Pm me if you indeed do sell, it's exactly the model I'm after.
    The DC3 : "I was the guy in TISM". And an album (soon to be two). Out now. http://thedc3.com.au/

I've got two, a 120GB unit and a 160GB unit. Each of our cars has an iPod for it's music so both unit have rarely ever been out of the car let alone their cases so are in great nic. As time goes by I realise that one of them never get used (since I use bluetooth from my phone for music or podcast streaming), the other is still used alot by my wife, but not being wireless it's rarely synced so she's more and more often using her phone too. Sadly though I think have tossed the boxes for both (and recently too ) which would have had all their original accessories unused.

Of course I still love them for their entire library holding capability, so will probably hold onto them anyway!
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

I have two iPod Classic, one older white one and one of the last ones in silver. One I use in my car for connection to the Audi Music Interface and the other one for general use in my apartment. I intend to keep them both as I love them for what they represent. Unless you need the money badly, I would say keep them. They are an important Apple product!

I've come across a few more units in storage - 2 30GB (5G) and 1 80GB Classic (6G). I'm thinking of selling the 160GB, then using some of the proceeds from that to replace the batteries in the other three.