Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default What's a good film camera?

Hey Guys, looking at getting into alittle photography using a film based camera. Any suggestions?

Pentax MZ-10 was suggested by the uncle who had one.

Thoughts?
     Space Grey 64Gb iPhone 6  Space Grey 64GB Retina Cellular iPad Mini  Apple TV Gen 2  Apple TV Gen 2 
    www.kleggy.com ~ www.trailstat.io

The Pentax MZ-10 was a good budget SLR at the time. My wife had one. However, even full on top of the range film cameras are going for relative peanuts these days. Shop around...

Expensive but this is good. The big lens is a super wide, hence the extra viewfinder. Too bad they don't make them any more (the camera that is)...

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A3532ODWj8ZbZ

Thanks for the replies guys. Got myself a Canon FTb QL camera like this bad boy.

Can't wait to give it a go.
     Space Grey 64Gb iPhone 6  Space Grey 64GB Retina Cellular iPad Mini  Apple TV Gen 2  Apple TV Gen 2 
    www.kleggy.com ~ www.trailstat.io

Looks good!

It's not hard to get a cheap film camera and most will do the job well enough. If you have a digital camera with an interchangeable lens mount getting the same mount is obviously highly recommended. I wouldn't advise spending a lot on a film camera until you're sure you want to do film. It's just so expensive compared to digital. Scanning prices can be just outrageous if you don't go to the right places. I've even had supposedly reputable camera shops try to rip me off on scanning, so make sure you ask all the right questions.

Film is of course still much admired in the way vinyl is for music fans. It also forces you to learn and get better pretty quickly in the way that digital cameras don't. With the cost of film and processing there's a pretty big financial incentive to do so! With digital it's just too easy to shoot-review-adjust-shoot again.