Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best pre-paid plan for son's iPhone?

Hi,
    Looking at giving our 12 year old son my old 5S iPhone for x-mas.
    All other phones are on Telstra, looking for best value suggestions for pre-paid plan.
    Frankly I'm bloody confused with all the various offers that are around.

My favourite prepaid is Virgin's 'simple' plan. I usually buy $19 for 2 months which gives $19 of credit with 15 cent texts and 15 cents per minute calls + 100Mb of data.

Telstra may offer a similar thing?
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Best offer is this: Telstra longlife (gets you 365 days expiry for $70 or more) then a switch to Simplicity which gets you the cheaper rates (no flagfall, 12c text, 15c/min calls) and buy data from credit every month to cover that aspect. I do a lot of iMessage, a bit of web and email, and use around 200mb a month, so it costs me around $140 a year to cover everything. When you switch to Simplicity, you retain the expiry of the Longlife. You just have to remember to recharge at the right time.

In all seriousness... a 12 year old and a 5S? I wouldn't, but its up to you. If he hasn't had a phone before, he's going to go nuts with it. Be aware that he will likely use all his credit in a couple of weeks, whichever way you go. I guess the good thing is that once its gone, there's no more usage until you decide. Might be worth doing just Simplicity at first, until he gets over the novelty. Remember to buy data from credit (Browse Plus).. you don't want to be paying the casual rate for it. Freedom and Beyond Talk are also OK, but monthly, and the call rates are more expensive. You get a data allowance and talk allowance on Freedom but expiry is 28 days. Beyond Talk you get a smaller allowance and expiry is 30 days. You just need to try to estimate what the boy is likely to do, and thats all guesstimation right now.

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-ph...fers-and-rates
    Last edited by kyte; 19th December 2014 at 04:02 PM.

Thanks guys,
    Firstly I'm still toying with the idea - have a 5S lying around doing nothing.
    He is responsible enough to understand any limitations we place - his friends are starting to get phones, so would be good for him to have the ability to chat with them and organise sleep overs, etc.
    We are huge on responsible behaviour across all aspects of life and enforce a balanced amount of discipline which (as far as I'm concerned) places his attitude to life far above older kids who have no bounds set and basically act like self indulgent brats.

Once again, thanks for the input - we are looking at using this as an extra responsibility for our son.

Trying to work out the Long Life and Simplicity plans:
    If I pick the $70 365 day Long Life plan - how long do I have to wait before switching to Simplicity?

Looks like after switching to Simplicity we recharge talk time when the original 100 minute talk time is close to expiring. I could also do the $50/100 minute talk time for 6 months as well (saves $20).

Also, can't see where the data plans are for Simplicity? Do I need to purchase a Browse Plus Pack as well?

Will he be using more on calls/text or data?

I personally use Amaysim Flexi plan ($19.90 per month). It comes with 500MB data. Then i use the $19.90 credit to purchase additional data pack - 1GB for $9.90. Unused credits will rollover to the next month. I rarely make any calls via my mobile as i have a voip account.

What about Aldi?

https://www.aldimobile.com.au/plans/payg
    Successful trades : iphonedev, palais, JNRidgway15, macmine, NeoRicen, Erwin, MissionMan, goodbye, decryption, joh, asgr8, davemc, alicia1, tezz27000

I still think the Virgin Mobile one is still worth looking, unless for some reason you need to be with Telstra…
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffP View Post
    Trying to work out the Long Life and Simplicity plans:
    If I pick the $70 365 day Long Life plan - how long do I have to wait before switching to Simplicity?

Looks like after switching to Simplicity we recharge talk time when the original 100 minute talk time is close to expiring. I could also do the $50/100 minute talk time for 6 months as well (saves $20).

Also, can't see where the data plans are for Simplicity? Do I need to purchase a Browse Plus Pack as well?
    There are no data plans on Simplicity. Thats why thats the one with cheap calls and texts. You buy browse plus.
    I switch to Simplicity the next day. I made the mistake this last time of trying to use up the minutes on Longlife only to discover that those minutes are to Telstra only. I lost $95 talking with a friend in Tasmania who *was* on Telstra but who switched to some other mob without telling a person. Something to be aware of.

Here's my usual (excepting the last time) pattern. I buy a 365 day expiry Longlife. I switch to Simplicity the next day. They say you have to recharge on Simplicity to get the rates. If you do this (I never have) your expiry remains at 365 days. I switch back to longlife, and I recharge before I run out of credit so as to roll over the leftovers. Rinse and repeat. it suits me, because I mostly do iMessage now all bar one of my friends has iPhone (and she is getting one within weeks, possibly even for Christmas). I do ring once in a great while but I always make short calls, (except that one massive mistake with my Tassie friend) so it doesnt take a huge whack out of the balance. Not having a flagfall helps a lot. I spend $10 every month on 200MB of data. It doesnt seem like enough to most people but it depends on what you do with it. For me its iMessage and a bit of email and maybe the odd shot posted to facebook, so its enough.

If you thought data would be a big thing, you'd simply buy more. If data was a big thing for me, I would go with simplicity straight up, and spend $50 a month (it lasts 60days but I'm looking at it as if it were monthly) and buy $39 of data (1GB) and have $11 left for the calls and texts I would likely never use up. But, I'm not.

Its all a matter of working out what will work for you, and for him

Some people choose to go with Beyond Talk, and spend almost the entire credit amount on browse plus. since you get no data for (eg) $30, youd have 200 minutes, 200 texts, and $30 to spend on browse plus which gets you 700mb ($20) and $19 left over for the calls and text over and above the allowance. Be aware, though, that the calls cost more, and theres a flagfall. It all looks good on the surface but in reality is not that great (mind you Telstra prepaid of any kind is better than most of the postpaids)

The Freedom offer aint so free. Looks good on the surface but call costs are high, recharges only last 28 days, and you cant buy more data from credit like on the other plans. You have to buy it as a separate thing with more money,

Looking at the other options... Aldi is "difficult" over data, do some reading in whirlpool.net.au. Virgins plan looks good but it will depend on your access to Optus network. Amaysim is good, too, but again, another Optus reseller, and you pay extra, for extra data. In spite of those all *looking* better, remember this: On Virgin the benefit is in virgin to virgin. only 100MB of data and I think if you want more, you may not be able to get it on the simple plan. I find Virgin and Optus plans (and the resellers) confusing in the extreme and they do not give you as much as they appear to. Swings and roundabouts.

Good luck!!
    Last edited by kyte; 23rd December 2014 at 10:19 AM.

Just a little clarification on the Virgin one - You also get a benefit if you have poor Telstra reception like I do in many places I regularly go. Also not having to deal with Telstra who would have to have the worst customer service I've ever dealt with was a benefit in my mind :P

You also can add extra data ( 50 MB for $5 and 300 MB for $10) and the extra data lasts for 30 days I think.

As you can see Im pretty biased towards virgin... but I guess I've just had good experiences with them.

LOL! As I am biased toward Telstra, which I think gives better value. As far as I know, none of the others (Virgin included) actually let you buy your data out of your credit. Voda might but I havent really looked at them.

Telstra's CS really is no worse than any other. Its more about expectation, I find. The people who complain loudest about CSRs in *any* company are usually those who approach with aggression and perceived entitlement, and you can tell, by the manner in which they complain in various forums, whether they are of that kind.

Not sure what your budget is, but I'm with Boost prepaid (uses Telstra's 3G network - the whole thing, not a subset of it like Aldi) and it costs $40 per month with unlimited calls/texts and 2.5GB of data. Service is identical to Telstra NextG.
    Trades: nez, step_andy, montfort, mikinoz, decryption, malfunction99, amstrad_mac, ZirconiumZephyr, Trabb, natakim, thatfilthyspringbok, skip73, SoVeReIgN, akshunhiro, jeremy warnock, alastair, NathR32, krasivy, everunman, areal, takamine

Quote Originally Posted by kyte View Post
    LOL! As I am biased toward Telstra, which I think gives better value. As far as I know, none of the others (Virgin included) actually let you buy your data out of your credit. Voda might but I havent really looked at them.

Telstra's CS really is no worse than any other. Its more about expectation, I find. The people who complain loudest about CSRs in *any* company are usually those who approach with aggression and perceived entitlement, and you can tell, by the manner in which they complain in various forums, whether they are of that kind.
    Lol :P Am I that kind?

I think it really does depend on your situation as when I switched to Virign (A long with numerous family members) we all found it cheaper than Telstra. Besides Apple and Optus I've rarely had customer service issues. I know so many people who got sick of Telstra customer service. I'm still with Bigpond for home internet and Telstra for landline and their customer service is basically to treat customers as dirt.

Some companies definitely have worse customer service than others!

Also I'm curious about this buying data out of credit? Is there actually any point to this?

The Amaysim deal talked about earlier sounds better than the Telstra or the Virgin option..

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmacs View Post
    Lol :P Am I that kind?
    No, and I didnt say you were.

Also I'm curious about this buying data out of credit? Is there actually any point to this?
    Not having to pay out even more money to get extra data? Of course theres a point.

Quote Originally Posted by kyte View Post
    No, and I didnt say you were.

Not having to pay out even more money to get extra data? Of course theres a point.
    But don't you loose some of the money you put onto the prepaid??

Isn't the money you then loose from prepaid money you're going to have to pay when you run out of credit later?

I hope you meant "lose". "Loose" is what your pants are when they fall down

Its isnt a loss, as far as I am concerned. You pay for data from your credit. For example, I buy $120 longlife which lasts 365 days. I then switch to Simplicity (which is 12c texts and 15c calls and no flagfall) for those rare occasions when I may use calls or regular SMS.

Most of the time I am doing iMessage, and calls I make with the mobile are only whilst out and about and only if I must. I dont use it for long chats. That happens with my landline, on which I have VoIP at 10c a throw for nationwide calls. I have zero real need for included calls or texts with my mobile. I do need small amounts of data, and I need to be contactable. Switching to Simplicity changes nothing except the costs of calls. The expiry remains the longer of the existing expiry or your most recent recharge. So, for a year at a time I get dead cheap texts and calls, and $10 a month on 200Mb data, which is all I need. I don't always buy the new data exactly at the month. If I am having extended periods at home and am not out and about, I have no need. However, it goes something like this.
    Recharge $120. buy $10 data and have $100 left for calls and text. Repeat next month. maybe make a couple of two minute calls for the princely sum of 60c for the month. Buy more data for $10 at the end of the month (Telstra sends reminders 4 days before your data expires so you have plenty of time not to get caught in the casual rate which is horrendous) and so on. My next expiry is in May. But, I only have $59 left, so I will be needing to recharge before then. Its all good as far as I am concerned, its effortless (and if you buy your vouchers from coles instead of doing it with a CC in your telstra account, you also get flybuys) and it suits my usage patterns. Its not going to suit everyone, and people who arent on pensions may not care that much that it costs three times as much to make a call on one of the plans which includes calls and data, and they may not care that their data might be counted differently, either. But, they are paying $30+ for that every month, and thats a $360 a year cost for something they might not even use. Thats where I found myself years back. Spending $40 a month and not using the inclusions. It made no sense to keep on.

As far as running out of credit is concerned... well... doesn't *everyone* run out of credit sooner or later? Of course you must recharge. The way I currently do it, I often must recharge before the 365 days are up, but that's OK. My average annual cost is around $140. It seems quite reasonable to me and I don't have to worry about recharging every month.

It should be noted here that one is not restricted in how much one can recharge. I could, for example, recharge $240, but it doesnt last twice as long, its still only 365 days. And it doesn't get more free to Telstra minutes, either. One is also not restricted except by credit available, how many times one can buy a browse plus pack. There are also packs available to get texts and calls at cheaper rates but when on simplicity, that's not really of much benefit.

I am a very LOW VOLUME user. Telstra makes money from me but not as much as it makes from people who buy plans with many included calls and texts. I looked at call costs and data inclusions and how data is counted before I made my decision to switch from Virgin's Bean Counter years ago (they didnt have Simple back then). I've been with Amaysim, and Vodafone as well - but not since its "NoPlans" days. There have been many changes to plans over the years, and even though Telstra is seen as the one which rips people off... it actually isnt. Optus took that crown at least 10 years ago... them, I wont touch with a bargepole.
    Last edited by kyte; 24th December 2014 at 05:01 AM.

Wow- thanks for all the info guys - seems to have started a bit of a debate along the way
    I did a check with parents of friends he will be making the majority of calls & txt's to - they are all on Telstra bar one.
    I prefer Telstra for better coverage (had other suppliers in the past - Telstra's coverage [for me] seems superior).
    Doing a Freedom $30 plan at the moment (based on unlimited calls & txt's to other Telstra numbers) seemed a good route at the moment - will monitor as see how that goes.
    Really appreciate all the info (special thanks to Kyte for masses of info) - nice to know I have a range of options I can switch between.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffP View Post
    Really appreciate all the info (special thanks to Kyte for masses of info) - nice to know I have a range of options I can switch between.
    Good that you made a decision. And, you can switch between quite easily. Hope it all works for him and for you (since you're bearing the costs)

Do remember that on the Freedom plan, you cannot buy more data from credit. Its extra.

Funny I just saw this thread as I've just switched to the Freedom Prepaid plan with Telstra. I think I'll change over to Simplicity. I'm about to finish with work and wanted to get off post paid and try to spend a whole lot less money on my phone. Anyway thanks for the insights...
    ----------------------------------------
    A Dog's Breakfast

Quote Originally Posted by glenmorrow View Post
    Funny I just saw this thread as I've just switched to the Freedom Prepaid plan with Telstra. I think I'll change over to Simplicity. I'm about to finish with work and wanted to get off post paid and try to spend a whole lot less money on my phone. Anyway thanks for the insights...
    Just be aware, Glen, that if you are a big caller, Freedom or Beyond Talk might still be better for you.

Merry Christmas all.

Such a timely thread for us too. My eldest off to high school as well next year( how the heck that happened so quick is beyond me). He was happy with one of Telstra's $50 phones(yay) so now it's plan time?

Sue, thanks for the amazing info and also the time you spent delivering it at such a busy time of year.

Be safe whilst traveling today.

Drifting dry's down current lanes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast