Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Colourising b&w videos?

G'day,

For a while I've been thinking about trying my hand at adding colour to an old b&w tv show... Of course, purely for my own waste of time/enjoyment.

I know recently a 25min episode of such a show was "restored" to colour by painting frame by frame - in this case, the colour print was lost, but b&w remained, and basically 1 guy spent about 1 year painting the colour back on!

25 frames per second
    60 seconds per minute
    37,500 frames...

I know there are very expensive software/hardware devices to do this process, but I was wondering if there was anything remotely "non professional" (and non expensive) that could achieve even basic results?

Failing that.... Using Final Cut or Adobe, is there a way to at least generate key frames and reduce the individual frames that require colouring?

Just curious...

Thanks

cosmic
    Last edited by cosmichobo; 13th December 2014 at 01:17 AM.
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

You have a lot of time on your hands. Not sure what you mean by reduce individual frames that require colouring. Are you meaning a couple of seconds footage at a time? Will think about the rest as you have made me curios.

Well, basically I was wondering if there was either software that tracked objects, so you tell it once, and then the colour follows that object... Or, even using keyframes or something...
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

That's how Ted Turner and his people colourised a lot of movies - using software - colour a particular area once and the software tracks it through multiple frames. I'm not sure what software they used.

The results were almost universally panned though. I think I saw Key Largo in colour and it looked ok to me, but I always thought "why?"

An interesting exercise though.

I have to admit to being a heathen who didn't see Casablanca until about 2006 when I went to Uni... If I'd known then about Ted's colourised version, I think I'd have wanted to see it, rather than the original But after seeing the original, I don't have any desire now to see the B&W.

However... after seeing Babelcolour's efforts on YouTube, and Mind of Evil 1, I'd love to see some B&W Doctor Who in colour... Apparently they considered colourising the first ever story - An Unearthly Child - for the 50th Anniversary last year, but didn't have time/money.

After recently deciding I am a masochist in need of a project, I thought I could try and add some colour to one of my favourite 2nd Doctor stories - The Mind Robber. One bonus in choosing that story is that some of the story is set in a b&w void (though I'd still want to treat it in some way - somehow I don't think simply desaturated colour footage is the same as black & white footage... In addition, basically the entire world/characters are fictional, and as such I feel that whilst skin tones may still need to look like skin tones, there is a wide scope for the rest of the colour palette...