Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default How Is Your iMac 5k Retina Stacking Up

I would particularly like to hear from any one who got a CTO. Have mine on order, probably about a week or so away.

I am getting the 4ghz, 4gb video, 24gb ram and 3tb disk iMac Retina. Any lagging issues, particularly in video and images, any other problems.

I have only played with the low end model in the Apple Store.

BTW, that screen is awesome.
    "Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not." - George Bernard Shaw

I have the same CTO on order, will let you know
    visit my blog.......
    Follow my twitter at http://twitter.com/normandy_sr2
    Follow my PING @ Normandy SR2

Thanks Normandy.
    "Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
    I would particularly like to hear from any one who got a CTO. Have mine on order, probably about a week or so away.

I am getting the 4ghz, 4gb video, 24gb ram and 3tb disk iMac Retina. Any lagging issues, particularly in video and images, any other problems.

I have only played with the low end model in the Apple Store.

BTW, that screen is awesome.
    I've had mine for a week or so. 4 GHz, 4 GB Video, 16 GB Ram, 3 TB Fusion. No problems to date... the display blows you away

I am still migrating my media libraries from my Mac Pro (2010) but I've so far been impressed with the overall performance. My end goal is to use the 5K iMac for 4K video production. I haven't decided whether to keep using iMovie/Final Cut Pro yet, or whether I'll need to move to Adobe solutions for best results.

Well that at least, is starting to sound promising.

Congrats to 5k iMac owners!

ok, for us 5K mac owners, can some one post a link of a place where we can get 5K wallpaper??
    visit my blog.......

I've got the same CTO too. Arrived last Friday. Oh my gosh the screen is amazing. I upgraded from a base model 2008 iMac, so this new one is a huge improvement. Running Windows through Parallels and it boots into Windows in less than 10 secs. Using Autodesk Revit and no lag at all. I installed an extra 16gb RAM on top of the 8gb it came with. The difference is noticeable. Bought the extra 16gb from Amazon for $170. I figured I could pay Apple $220 for 16gb or Amazon $170 to add to the 8gb for a total of 24gb.

ME TOO! Had it almost a fortnight now. The CTO is maxed everything including 32GB of memory. I selected the 1TB SSD for speed and added a Thunderbolt RAID. Love the Retina to bits.

My first impression was that it was gunna run far too hot with that GPU working so very hard but really the ventilation seems to cope nicely. Silently too. I spend a good part of each day in an amazing new MMORPG called Elder Scrolls Online. On me old 27" iMac I considered this game's graphics amazing but on the 5k, ESO's graphics just blow me away. Shockingly realistic pictures with that game's graphics settings all maxed out.

Absolutely no noticeable lag or smearing in action motion scenes. Colour uniformity and lighting contrast do not appear to be issues.

I didn't know it on that Late 2013 iMac that the armour my heroine crafted for herself was so detailed and metallic shiny. It didn't shine at all on the 2013 iMac. On the 5k her armour gleams with light reflecting detail. Oh thank you thank you thank you Apple for the most brilliant gaming desktop computer ever! Oh and of course our photos are absolutely amazing too.
    Last edited by Thingme; 4th November 2014 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NORMANDY View Post
    ok, for us 5K mac owners, can some one post a link of a place where we can get 5K wallpaper??
    Use Google image search and set the search parameters to be either the specific resolution of the iMac or one of the "Larger than" categories, like "Larger than 20 megapickles".
    Last edited by simonm; 4th November 2014 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by simonm View Post
    "Larger than 20 megapickles"
    Sorry...
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" (Mid-2014) iPhone 6 iPad mini 2

leafnight.wordpress.com | Twitter

well I have now my 5k iMac. impressed at how fast everything is, the screen is amazing.

One thing I noticed, push this under handbrake or max out res and frame rates on games and CPU temp goes to 99C and GPU 87 C, apparently its designed to go to 105c before it throttles..

seems very hot to me, but according to support people at APPLE, its all fine, and normal. the fan ramps to 2700RPM, but its not what I would call noisy. most of the time you can't hear anything.

I just worry about high temps and longevity. ???
    visit my blog.......

I'm eating my words now, from 3/11 post. Five weeks now, and still nothing.

Hopefully you received it by now Warthog. I ordered one last week and it just arrived today. Having a blast playing around with it! Thought this thread could use a bump for any other new 5k iMac owners out there.
    Check out my podcast of all things technology, MacMen
    Or if you are interested in movies and/or video games, check out
    "Lachlan & The Colonel"

Muggins is a very early adopter ordered my 5k iMac the day Apple began taking online orders. It's fully loaded with all options.

It's used for many hours every day mostly online MMO gaming and the 5k screen looks terrific in games that take advantage. (AA is off and images are sharp without it.)

It's never had a hiccup, never seems to struggle with overheating. You'd think running 3D games on such a screen and on this graphics card would have poor fps. Nope. My main game which fully exploits the high resolution never falls below 45 frames per second.

The astonishing pictures are a great reason for taking hundreds of ingame screenshots I'll run out of SSD space soon.

My main battle has been about mice finding a mouse that has a Yosemite-compatible driver. That's fixed now with a Logitech G602 which is really rather good. Apple's Magic Mouse is of course a terrible insult to gamers. (There's one frequently used combat function that's impossible on the Magic Mouse holding down the right button while mashing the left.)

The 5k iMac is definitely the best Mac ever. The year before last I bought a dustbin Mac Pro which can't run a 4k/5k screen. It sits never used since the 5k iMac arrived, although it's probably the best machine for X-Plane, using multiple displays.

Peter
    A working Quadra 840AV (best ever 680x0 Mac IMHO); redundant PCs; obligatory iOS devices. Currently using: 5k iMac + previous model 27" iMac + 15" MBP-R + Mac mini as media centre + iPhone 5s + iPad Air 2 + iPod touch. Microsoft brand totally absent.

Quote Originally Posted by lach View Post
    Hopefully you received it by now Warthog. I ordered one last week and it just arrived today. Having a blast playing around with it! Thought this thread could use a bump for any other new 5k iMac owners out there.
    Yeah, I did eventually receive it. I think it was around 2 weeks after my post that you commented on.
    Sweet machine, fast, and loving it. My wife has an older 2010 model, and the difference in the screen is amazing.