Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Thread: "Hey Siri"

Default "Hey Siri"

Thinking of downloading and playing with the latest iOS, but the only feature I'm really interested in is the "Hey Siri" option, except for the fact you have to actually say "Hey Siri".

I can't find online anywhere if there is an option to change the invocation to something else.

I dont believe there is. I somehow activated Hey Siri in my asleep and woke up to the sound it makes when it thinks you have finished speaking.

This is a very handy tool in the car though.

Yes, interested in trying it in the car - but I don't don't go "Hey!" when I want someones attention, and my phone is not called Siri.

What's it called?

it be funny if you could rename it...
    I still find it does not understand me a lot of the time, although the wife says the same
    Mac Mini's 2006 and early 2009, 2011 Server, White Macbook 2007,ipad3 32gb, iPad Air 32gb, iPhone4 , iPhone 5: Kids now Powerbook 15" G4 1.5Ghz, iBook 14" G3 900mhz, Powermac G4/400, iPad 64 3G, iPad Mini, iPhone3G , ipod touch 3G 32gb, iPad2 32gb

i find that it activates when the tele is on or when music is playing

in the car it's quite handy but sometimes road noise can get in the way of Siri finishing what it "hears" so could be waiting a long time before it registers as you've said something and stopped speaking.

otherwise it's good! would be better if it worked without having to be on charge too
    Let food be thy medicine

www.sustenanceandstrength.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by ianpgonzaga View Post
    i find that it activates when the tele is on or when music is playing

in the car it's quite handy but sometimes road noise can get in the way of Siri finishing what it "hears" so could be waiting a long time before it registers as you've said something and stopped speaking.

otherwise it's good! would be better if it worked without having to be on charge too
    It would be a nightmare if it was activated without needing to be on charge.

Have decided to disable Hey Siri from my partner's iDevices. I had an emergency call from work the other morning at 4am and when i picked up the phone, the first thing i said was "Are you serious?!" .. It activated Siri on all his devices for some reason and scared the F out of me.. Funny but, no thank you
    Successful trades : iphonedev, palais, JNRidgway15, macmine, NeoRicen, Erwin, MissionMan, goodbye, decryption, joh, asgr8, davemc, alicia1, tezz27000

I don't understand why this is limited to only when your iPhone is plugged into a power source. Sure, the feature drains power, but why hamstring users who know this and want to use it anyway? Be handy in the kitchen while cooking and want to control music/google a recipe, etc, without touching my iPhone with dirty hands.
    twitter :|: mwot MT profile :|: mwot

Quote Originally Posted by mwot View Post
    I don't understand why this is limited to only when your iPhone is plugged into a power source. Sure, the feature drains power, but why hamstring users who know this and want to use it anyway? Be handy in the kitchen while cooking and want to control music/google a recipe, etc, without touching my iPhone with dirty hands.
    Just plug it in whilst in the kitchen. I think it would become the most annoying smart phone feature of all time if it was enabled without needing a charging cable. Plus, if many people had this enabled and someone decides to be ridiculous and says 'Hey Siri' on the train or more innocently says something sounding like that, it could trigger Siri in many phones.

Wise decision to keep this as it is.

haha. Yes, ok. Fair point.
    twitter :|: mwot MT profile :|: mwot

i need to walk around work while everyone has their phones plugged in.."hey Siri" "Hey Siri"
    Mac Mini's 2006 and early 2009, 2011 Server, White Macbook 2007,ipad3 32gb, iPad Air 32gb, iPhone4 , iPhone 5: Kids now Powerbook 15" G4 1.5Ghz, iBook 14" G3 900mhz, Powermac G4/400, iPad 64 3G, iPad Mini, iPhone3G , ipod touch 3G 32gb, iPad2 32gb

Can't be *that* much of an issue, the Motorola X (I think) phone has "OK Google" enabled at all times. It has some kind of ultra low power audio processor that enables this. Don't hear online chatter about it getting enabled on the train etc...?

Who would have thought that human evolution has come so far that even pressing a button is too much effort. I love hey Siri when I'm in bed and I can tell her to turn on/off my alarm and ask her what the time is etc, but I can't see it being that much use outside of that environment or in the car.

Sorry if this is a bit OT, but "Hey Siri" on my iPhone 6 on iOS 8.0.0 went from being surprisingly accurate to almost unusable with 8.1.0 (haven't upgraded to 8.1.1 to see if there is an improvement). Siri will randomly activate during parts of day-to-day conversation (annoyingly, this is when it seems to be the most accurate and can generate some hilarious searches) and then will completely misunderstand me when I clearly speak a simple request... Anyone else experienced this? Otherwise, I really love the feature, and used it frequently.

It would actually be a great feature if you could use it whilst on battery-only; I know the battery drain would be noticeable, although it could only activate in a quiet environment, only when the iPhone detects a voice. Sometimes I just want to see if I have any notifications, and say "Hey Siri, do I have any notifications?".
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" (Mid-2014) iPhone 6 iPad mini 2

leafnight.wordpress.com | Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by lawrencium View Post
    It would actually be a great feature if you could use it whilst on battery-only; I know the battery drain would be noticeable, although it could only activate in a quiet environment, only when the iPhone detects a voice. Sometimes I just want to see if I have any notifications, and say "Hey Siri, do I have any notifications?".
    But the microphone would have to be on all the time to know if it's quiet or to know if you're talking.