Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default I miss my Mac :(

Hopefully this is the right forum for this post. I was going to post this over at OCAU but feel they're too anti-Apple for it. Then I remembered there was another Aussie forum for computer geekery and so made an account here.

About a year ago now my 2009 iMac started developing GPU issues. I tried to resolve it through numerous ways and posted on OCAU for advice. One kind OCAU'er offered to trade me a PC with similar specs for my dying iMac. Since I didn't have the cash at the time to replace the GPU and fearing that I'd end up with no computer at all and no means to get another one, I took the deal.

And I've been miserable ever since

I hate Windows with a passion. Everything about it irks me every time I use it, which is most of the day, every day. And even after a year, I find myself annoyed by the small things that I can't do, like PDF and image editing that has native apps for it whereas to get the same functionality, I have to spend money for programs on Windows. Or constantly having to click in a window in order to scroll it. Or any of the thousand other little differences that make the MacOS my preferred OS.

If I had the decision to make all over again, I would've waited until I could afford a replacement GPU on the iMac. I miss it terribly

Welcome ThankDog, there are quite a few OCAUers on here

One answer: Hackintosh.

Or maybe a linux distro will please you.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    Welcome ThankDog, there are quite a few OCAUers on here

One answer: Hackintosh.
    I would try Hackintosh or Linux but I just don't have the brain for it. I'm not technically illiterate but at the same time I struggle with a lot of computing concepts, especially with software. One of the primary reasons why I prefer the MacOS is because I don't have to think about these things. I customise and tweak very little on MacOS not because I don't know how but simply because there's very little about it that I have a problem with and it just works the way I like things to work.

I've tried numerous times to do things like Hackintosh and Linux and always ended up throwing my hands in the air thinking that the stress of it all simply wasn't worth it. I just want stuff to work. Maybe that's greedy or lazy of me, I don't know. All I know is that I'd kill for a Mac. If everything works out like I plan, then in the next few months I might have an opportunity to get one. Too many variables to say for sure and I wouldn't be able to afford anything brand new, but gosh, even if it was just similar to my 2009 iMac, I'd be happy.

I swear I posted an answer to this thread. Weird.

Anyway, Linux and me don't get along and I don't have the brain for Hackintosh stuff. I like Macs because I don't have to bother with fiddly stuff like that.