Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

View Poll Results: What's the verdict on Vodafone?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm with Voda and they're awesome now

6 31.58%
  • I'm with Voda and they're better but there's still problems

2 10.53%
  • I'm with Voda and they're still crap

0 0%
  • I'm not with Voda and I like Tacos

11 57.89%

Default Switching from Telstra to Vodafone?

Hey all, Like a lot of people my contract with Telstra is almost up (iPhone 6 yay!) and I'm thinking of giving them the flick and going back to Vodafone. My main reasons are down to price and data allowances. my plan (including phone) costs me almost $80 per month and I get 1Gb of data (which I always go through and end up spending more). For $10 less I can get 3Gb on Voda. Call and texts are pretty much irrelevant as I don't do much of either.

However there's no point in having 3Gb of data if the network is so crap that you can never get connected which is why I originally switched from Voda. I've heard though that they've got their act together and are a lot better now so I wanted to get the thoughts of the collected MacTalk community, so to those of you who are currently with Vodafone, have they cleaned up their act or are you still having problems with them?
    Successful Trades: Lots

I'm with Vodafone for 2 years now and I've never had any issues. I live in central Adelaide. I'm on a sim-only plan for $45 a month I get $700 of calls and 3GB data. It's great because all my family live overseas and I can use my entire $700 credit calling my family.
    iMac 24" 2.8 GHz (2008), Macbook Air (1st Gen), iPhone 3g, iPod Shuffle 2g (Product Red), Apple TV, Airport Express (N).

Successful Trades : grfxninja, Boddiz, Phaze, iMarty, f1_Power, Jimdrum, Clockwork, iSlayer, Brentnal, Atomic, Danno74,
    Darbgod, Loc04t, Swoffam & Itsanobscured

I voted for the 'they're awesome now' option although i'd put some caveats with that.

I'm in a similar boat to you. I was with them for years. loved their customer service and their structure, but, their service became shit, and so i decided I'd move to Telstra.

After 3yrs with telstra my plan finished about 2.5 months ago and I switched to voda on a month to month. By doing that I was able to try them out without having to take the risk of a lock-in contract going in blind.

My results have been 99% positive. I'm paying almost half what I was paying with telstra which is a huge plus and for me offsets the minor down bits like sometimes being on 3g instead of 4g in city areas that should be 4g. that said, i've found the 3g network to run almost as well anyway....so yeah. small things you loose from telstra that for me are worth the savings

Isn't everything better than Telstra?

I've found Telstra to be overpriced and the reception is overhyped.

I have friends on Vodaphone and apparently its improved a lot? I'm with Virgin who are through Optus and I'm very happy.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

I've been a Vodafone customer for 6 years now. Like carlow1, I live in the central Adelaide area and can say that Vodafone's performance has improved a lot since their round of issues a few years back. 3G network performance and coverage is fairly stable across the board, with the exception of one network blackspot I discovered around Hope Valley, but it seemed to be linked to interference more than a lack of coverage. I haven't been able to test their 4G network since I'm still using an iPhone 4S.

Customer service wise, in recent years they've been rather decent. The few times I've contacted them I normally reach an overseas call centre, but they seem to be up to speed in terms of handling issues and getting them resolved. They've helped me out a couple of times when I exceeded my call credit or data allowance, which was a brilliant gesture on their part. Perhaps once a year I receive a call from them asking if I would like to upgrade my phone, but they've always been extremely friendly and never pushy. If I want a new phone it's easy done, if I don't then that's that.

So I don't intend to switch away any time soon. There was definitely a rough patch there for a while, but I'm voting for the "they're awesome now" option.

Depends whether most of your use is one place or not. I tend to travel within Australia at least weekly, and have simply given up on Vodafone due to coverage gaps, Optus is little better. It doesn't matter how much data you have, or how little you pay for it, if you can't get coverage. That said, Telstra has plenty of room to improve.

We went the other way for work and at home when 3 merged with Voda, the dropouts and slow internet compared to 3 were awful so we couldn't get away fast enough. 3 was fine as it roamed onto Telstra in rural areas, but Voda is so crap in places like Tassie and most rural towns no matter how big. An ex workmate is on Voda and he will drop out 3 times in Sydney in a 10min call with me.
    Successful trade with: Clockwork.....(and what a trade!)

Just done the exact opposite and switched from vodafone to telstra.

entropy's Avatar entropy is offline It's the heat death of the universe, my friends

Spend too much time in rural and outback areas where Telstra is the only option.
    but I am seriously considering it for mrs Entropy. Maybe ALDI which uses telstra 3G it seems.
    27 inch imac i7 3.4Ghz 2011 12,2 OSX 10.8

Thanks everyone, I'm mainly Sydney Metro so I should be ok on Voda, saying that I'm going to give Telstra a chance to offer me a better deal, if not I think I'll be moving to Voda!

It's really somewhere between "Awesome" and "...still problems" however you could say that about all Telcos.

I'm in Sydney Metro, I switched from Telstra to Vodafone. Saved a ton of cash and got more data for it. Things to get a little wobbly outside of metro areas, but never enough for me to really get that annoyed.

Unless Telstra can match, I'd jump.
    iMac 21.5 i3 3.2 12GB RAM
    iPhone 6 64GB Gold
    iPad Air 2 64GB Wi-Fi + Cellular Gold

I'm ready to switch too, Telstra signal is terrible at my workplace. Their 3G is unusable in inner-Melbourne, from my experience.

I left Vodafone before the issues, but I'm looking at giving them another shot. Maybe month to month, especially as I'm keeping my iPhone 5.

Honestly Telstra's been that bad at my workplace I've considered giving them the flick early and paying the termination fees. Kinda hasty with only three weeks to go though
    MBP 15" late-2008 2.53GHz/8GB RAM/128GB SSD | iPhone 5 64GB white | iPad (3rd gen) 64GB | A few other bits and bobs

So, I made the switch, I've been with Voda now for about a month. I got 5Gb on the $80 Red plan with an extra $8 for the iPhone 6 126Gb version.

Overall I've been happy, customer service was great, I had a problem and they gave me a free month. Service definitely isn't as good at Telstras but hte only place I've had no service at all is the toilets in my office (no more facebook on the loo!). I live and work in metro so good service is to be expected, I'm sure if I go rural I might have issues but that happens once in a blue moon. I've done a speedtest and get similar speeds to Telstra.

The biggest issue I've spotted is with maps, the GPS never gets me even remotely in the right spot unless I have wifi switched on.

I get 42Mbps down and 44Mbps up in Perth Much faster and more reliable than Telstra !
    Last edited by Mullo; 29th October 2014 at 05:44 PM.
    27" iMac | iPad Air 2 128GB | ATV | iPhone5S 64GB | AirPort Extreme | iPod Classic | Apple Watch ;-)