Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple Watch

Default Apple Watch

Well it has a nice shiny new page Apple - Apple Watch and we got a few details from the event last night.

So what do you all think?

I liked the look and the ability to change faces and straps to suit your mood or environment.

Needless to say given my article the other day, bit staggered at the sheer number of choices with it. Two Sizes, 3 styles and then combinations within those styles.

Interface looked quite good and very well thought out.

Lack of battery details or entry level price stuck out. Suggests they are still refining it before launch I suspect.

Thought the mag safe charging was very nice, though still another cord to have plugged in and depending on battery life maybe a spare for work.
    An Aussie Online Sports Book store http://www.lockerroombooks.com.au

Very interested in the Apple Watch. Love the look of it, and from initial reports and pictures looks to be a very polished item. After having a go play Samsungs alternatives I'm pretty much sold on this.

Can't wait for the release. More excited about this than the iPhone 6. Haha
     Space Grey 64Gb iPhone 6  Space Grey 64GB Retina Cellular iPad Mini  Apple TV Gen 2  Apple TV Gen 2 
    www.kleggy.com ~ www.trailstat.io

Given the apparently poor battery life, I would've loved the Digital Crown on the Apple Watch to be designed to wind up an internal generator to charge its battery. Too many negatives, I guess. But the retro-ness would have been cool.

Quote Originally Posted by hangdog View Post
    Given the apparently poor battery life
    which has been reported where?
    Late 2015 - 4.7" iPhone 6s (Silver), 1.8 GHz 16nm TSMC A9, 128GB, iOS 9.2
    Late 2013 - 13" rMBP 2.6GHz Intel 4th-gen i5, 22nm Haswell, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, OS X 10.11.2

I still wear a watch on occasion and smart watches are something I've been looking at for a while but most of them are difficult to use and lack functionality and any sort of style.

Apple seem to have produced a good looking smart swatch but I want to have a hands on before I commit to buying one.

Tentatively interested...
    iPad Mini 4 128Gb 4G | iPhone 6 64GB | MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz Retina | Mac Mini i5 | Apple TV 3 |

Quote Originally Posted by kerr View Post
    It's only speculation at this stage, but if battery life was more than a few days, Apple surely would have said something about it. I'd be satisfied with a week.

Apple Watch's battery life is a mystery and that's a problem | The Verge

Guess it's by educated deduction.

When it can detect activities from standing to cardiac, it should have all metrics needed for sleep analysis. But if you were using it at night then you're probably out of charge the morning after.

Don't you think if the battery lasts days that Apple wouldn't mention this function and mock its' superior battery life than competitors?

Did anyone notice if the watch face is always illuminated?
    Sometimes it looked like it turned off and had a sensor to gauge when you were looking at it.
    That would save power but sacrifice the functionality of it being a quick glance at your wrist, like an analogue wristwatch.
    Given how easy it looks to charge and the fact that I have to charge my iPhone in the early evening each day, I'd say charging it while you sleep isn't a big inconvenience. I don't wear a watch when I sleep anyway.
     iMac 27" i7  iPhone 5 64GB.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverJ View Post
    Did anyone notice if the watch face is always illuminated?
    Sometimes it looked like it turned off and had a sensor to gauge when you were looking at it.
    That would save power but sacrifice the functionality of it being a quick glance at your wrist, like an analogue wristwatch.
    Given how easy it looks to charge and the fact that I have to charge my iPhone in the early evening each day, I'd say charging it while you sleep isn't a big inconvenience. I don't wear a watch when I sleep anyway.
    I thought it illuminated when you raised your wrist?
     Space Grey 64Gb iPhone 6  Space Grey 64GB Retina Cellular iPad Mini  Apple TV Gen 2  Apple TV Gen 2 
    www.kleggy.com ~ www.trailstat.io

Quote Originally Posted by kurisu View Post
    Guess it's by educated deduction.
    I don't think battery life will be markedly different to that of competitors.

The beauty of Pebble was the longer battery life. I still find there are days where I look at mine and its dead flat. The unique charger cable they use are a pain if you don't carry it with you. Charging every night for an iWatch would get annoying and is what killed the previous watches. Really at the end of the day, a bigger phone or better res screen wouldn't be as attractive as better battery life on everything, iPhone included. I'm over nightly charging and when on work trips my phone will more often than not be flat by 5pm so when flying home I've had a dead phone a lot lately at the airport.

I've always worn a watch as I have a lot of meetings. The Pebble has been great this year keeping me on track when going from one meeting to another as it discreetly lets me know. I really want a metal watch again and didn't want to fork out for the metal Pebble with the iwatch looming on the horizon.
    Successful trade with: Clockwork.....(and what a trade!)

The watch looks interesting, but I doubt I would have any use for it, for the things I do (or don't do). Battery life wasn't mentioned during the presentation, that I noticed... perhaps it hasn't been truly sorted out yet.

Not keen on having a wireless device against my skin at all times, till they prove that there is no cancer risk.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmacs View Post
    Not keen on having a wireless device against my skin at all times, till they prove that there is no cancer risk.
    One could say the same thing about having a iPhone to your ear or eating food from a microwave.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmacs View Post
    I'm getting a sense that you're a bit of a worrywart

Quote Originally Posted by grorr76 View Post
    One could say the same thing about having a iPhone to your ear or eating food from a microwave.
    WHO hasn't been able to determine if phones are causing cancer or not, thus i avoid using my iPhone holding it to my ear - i use earbuds. I doubt that mobile phone usage will/has led to massive increases in cancers, even if there is a mild risk, I'd rather not risk it.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Default Apple Watch

Who has proven that God exists?

We are all free to believe what we want to believe, worry about what we want to worry about.
    Late 2013 - 13" rMBP 2.6GHz Intel 4th-gen i5, 22nm Haswell, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, OS X 10.11.2

Who has proven that God exists?

We are all free to believe what we want to believe, worry about what we want to worry about.
    I think everyone is probably laughing at me now... I just don't like the risk here, and there is science to back me up :/

About God?

About God?
    No about Cancer :P

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast