Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin View Post
    I got the Click. Because the campaign was so successful, I got 3 adaptors for the price of 1, and 2 free bands - a silver metal one and a black leather one. Great! ETA is June.
    Just ordered a Click adaptor - delivery sometime in June.
    Not sure on bands though...
    Updated ETA for my Apple Watch - delivery is now sooner by a couple of weeks - new expected timing is 16-June/23-June

I ordered mine on the 10th April, it arrived on the 25th May.

Interestingly, my "Activity" app shows it was alive on the 10th and 11th May, then off again until I received it. Wonder if that was the day it was born? I guess so (kindof cool).

Quote Originally Posted by macman142 View Post
    I ordered mine on the 10th April, it arrived on the 25th May.

Interestingly, my "Activity" app shows it was alive on the 10th and 11th May, then off again until I received it. Wonder if that was the day it was born? I guess so (kindof cool).
    What is the Activity app??

Its an app included which you key your height/weight/age and activity level into and it will measure when it thinks you're still, walking, running, standing etc and represent the data for you with a funky little graph.

Shows you on a daily basis but also can go back in time. Has been active since I unboxed the watch and first turned it on. Previous to that it is completely blank, except for a blip on the 10th of May, and again on the 11th May, before it was obviously turned off again.

Interesting thing: I'm currently in the US, and now in the DC area. I've been into two Apple Stores over the last week, and noticed very, very few people checking out, trying on the Apple Watch, or even looking at the display cases.

Interesting and I must admit that I got a few questions at launch but since then I don't hear it mentioned anywhere. I really think not having stock in store for them and the new MacBook is proving to be an issue.

Whilst many of us (I didn't) might buy one online unseen, most people I think at that price want to be able n the store look at it buy it and have the staff on hand they have issues setting it up.

Also I am not convinced that many people really see a need for Smart Watch be it from Apple or anyone else. That may change down the track when some must have feature is added but as it is I don't think they a strong reason to own one.
    An Aussie Online Sports Book store http://www.lockerroombooks.com.au

Default Apple Watch

I wrote something on this a month or so ago. What are the Apple Stores for, if not to sell their key products?
    http://www.mactalk.com.au/showpost.php?p=1219080
    And no, I was told at the 5th Ave store I couldn't purchase a watch there...not even the gold one! Meanwhile, nearby at the Rolex store....😕

The watch screen is just too small. I suppose it might come in handy if you forget to take your phone somewhere but.... I'm usually the first to jump on new Apple stuff but not this watch. I've gotten very used to not having to wear a watch and like it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by mtmember View Post
    I suppose it might come in handy if you forget to take your phone somewhere but....
    The watch won't work properly if you leave the phone at home... it relies on the phone's SIM and internet connection.
    Quad Core Mac Mini Server, 15' rMBP, 12' MacBook, Thunderbolt Display, iPad Pro/4/2/Mini, iPhone 6S/6S+, AppleWatch 38/42mm, iPod Touch/Nano, ATV 4, AirPort Extreme, Promise Pegasus R4
    36 Trades

Just had another update - they must be catching up on production..

Processing Items Available to ship: 5-7 business days
    Delivers: 16/06/2015 by Standard Shipping

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin View Post
    The watch won't work properly if you leave the phone at home... it relies on the phone's SIM and internet connection.
    Interesting! I read somewhere the watch can maintain some capability if used somewhere there's a known wireless network -- even if the phone is switched off. Still limited, though.

On this, I just arrived back from the US this morning. As we were starting to descend, I pulled my iPhone 6 out, which was switched to flight mode, but I noticed it was showing the correct date and time. Previously, I had to switch from flight mode for this to happen, which suggests the IP6 is pulling this data from somewhere despite apparently having its wireless turned off.

Was expecting delivery of my watch on Monday, but it dropped on my desk this morning (pleasant surprise).
    The packaging and presentation when first opening everything is typical Apple coolness. I was expecting a small squarish box you typically get from a jeweller, but noooo, Apple is insane with quality and presentation.
    Now have a couple of days to get used to it - I am wearing out the watch tilt mechanism already today - lol.

How's everyone enjoying their apple watch?

Wearing mine almost daily. Have found the activity rings to be very 'sticky'.

Twice the weather hasn't updated on the watch face. Had to remove it from glances then put it back and that seemed to work. 3rd party apps are a novelty at best at the moment, simply too slow in the loading. However the other conveniences make up for it for me. I have also been pleasantly surprised at how useful notifications have proven to be. Delegating them from the phone has worked well for me and means that I'm checking the phone much less.

I have been mostly wearing the white sports band and really love the design. I'm surprised that over a month on and it's still very white. ..Except when I read the newspaper and then a few wipes and it's back to being clean. I was expecting the white band to discolour, but yet to happen.
    --------------------
    macbook pro, mirror door g4, ipod shuffle, ipod 5g
    passion: music

Quote Originally Posted by TimboC View Post
    Interesting! I read somewhere the watch can maintain some capability if used somewhere there's a known wireless network -- even if the phone is switched off. Still limited, though.

On this, I just arrived back from the US this morning. As we were starting to descend, I pulled my iPhone 6 out, which was switched to flight mode, but I noticed it was showing the correct date and time. Previously, I had to switch from flight mode for this to happen, which suggests the IP6 is pulling this data from somewhere despite apparently having its wireless turned off.
    Interesting report today that the next version of Apple Watch o/s will obtain data from known wi-if networks, without the need for being synced to an iPhone

http://www.businessfinancenews.com/2...s-with-iphone/

I note that my Apple Watch has a wireless ID separate to Bluetooth, so there's lots going on in that little case.

I ordered one for my wife Yesterday and the shipping was listed as 5-7 days. After reading this thread and others about slippages I thought I should go check what it actually said... to my surprise it says "shipped".

The track item button doesn't appear to give any results yet, but will keep a keen eye on all that!
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

Where is it shipping from? Direct from the Shenzhen factory?

My tracking now says:
    Pick up date 16 Jun 2015
    Destination Melbourne
    Estimated due date 23 Jun 2015

Edit: Where are they made anyway? Today's update says it's at "Pudong International Airport".
    Last edited by The_Hawk; 17th June 2015 at 10:44 AM.
    Drive a VW?

Yeah looks like they are shipping them direct from the factory. I received mine last week and was watching the tracking order - after Pudong it went to Sydney and then up to Brisbane.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    Where is it shipping from? Direct from the Shenzhen factory?

My tracking now says:
    Pick up date 16 Jun 2015
    Destination Melbourne
    Estimated due date 23 Jun 2015

Edit: Where are they made anyway? Today's update says it's at "Pudong International Airport".

I got an SMS this morning saying this was going to be delivered! That was a nice surprise, a new toy to play with over the weekend!! except that this was a surprise for my wife (who still doesn't know it's coming )) and I organised to have it delivered to the house because she's normally home...

...except today...

... where she got home about 15 minutes *after* the delivery notice was left

Sadly I'm not able to pick it up from the Depot today either (otherwise I would) so I've had to have it re-delivered to my work address on Monday (since I don't want to play the game of missing a driver again). It's still before the original estimated date, but I'm all excited (moreso about how excited/surprised she will be that about the watch) and would do a long way out of my way to see it happen sooner... stupid weekend :P

I offered to drive anywhere to a depot or to meet a driver, but sadly that didn't get me anywhere. I wonder if the TNT drivers read MacTalk between drop offs ). Oh well, I suppose I will have to contain myself until Monday now.

EDIT: I may just have to hunt down and kiss the TNT man. He decided that since he had to drive back past our street on his way back to the depot/home that he would drive past and see if anyone was home. She was. She is excited. +10 Karma for the TNT man for going the extra mile. Brilliant!
    Last edited by The_Hawk; 19th June 2015 at 05:01 PM.
    Drive a VW?

Great story! Big kudos to TNT.

Meanwhile, my Kickstarter Pebble Time arrived on Wednesday. I like the new design and the timeline metaphor, but it underscored to me what a nice piece of kit the Apple Watch is, so it's off the eBay for the new Pebble.

Has everyone who ordered the apple watch band adaptor from Click SevenSixteen received theirs yet?
    After a couple of emails from them saying it was shipping back in September, plus follow up emails to them from myself, I have heard nothing and received nada.................

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast