Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Is FileMaker still suitable for these smaller databases?

For my bookstore I need to keep track of individual books, the publisher and the distributor. In the past I would likely have used Bento and it seems that FileMaker may be overkill. Is FileMaker still suitable for these smaller databases?
    An Aussie Online Sports Book store http://www.lockerroombooks.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    For my bookstore I need to keep track of individual books, the publisher and the distributor. In the past I would likely have used Bento and it seems that FileMaker may be overkill. Is FileMaker still suitable for these smaller databases?

Hi SRG,

From a technical perspective, I would say FileMaker is not overkill for smaller databases. I have plenty of FM databases with just one or two tables and maybe just a few hundred records.

From a price point of view, that depends. FM costs significantly more than what Bento did, so you'd need to crunch the numbers. Of course the benefit of FM is it can *do* significantly more than what Bento can, and you would have the flexibility of expanding and enriching your book database, and maybe creating others. Container fields, for instance, especially in the latest version of FM, lend themselves nicely to cataloging.

Cheers,
    Brad

Quote Originally Posted by BradTaylor View Post
    From a technical perspective, I would say FileMaker is not overkill for smaller databases. I have plenty of FM databases with just one or two tables and maybe just a few hundred records.

From a price point of view, that depends. FM costs significantly more than what Bento did, so you'd need to crunch the numbers.
    And therein lies the problem. What application cost-effectively services the smaller (and non-commercial) database market?

And while I'm here, does FM have a Table View similar to what Bento 4 for iPad did?

Quote Originally Posted by kerr View Post
    And therein lies the problem. What application cost-effectively services the smaller (and non-commercial) database market?

And while I'm here, does FM have a Table View similar to what Bento 4 for iPad did?
    Hi Kerr: yes, FM does have table view, in both FM Pro and FM Go. Attached is a screenshot from an iPhone 5 of table view in FM Go.

Not sure I know enough about cheaper alternatives to FM to be able to recommend any, I'm afraid.

Attachment 3262
    Last edited by MacTalk; 29th August 2014 at 09:17 AM.

Thanks. Did you forget the screenshot?

Hi Kerr,

We had a few issues with the uploader. I have added the image now.

Regards,
    Jonathan

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator