Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Ľ Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default rMBP Updated 29/7/14 - nVidia GPU Worth it Over Intel Iris?

Hi all,

the Retina MacBookPro models have been given a modest update/Speed Bump Only but 16 gig RAM comes standard now on 15" models and a modest 200Mhz speed up: MacBook Pro - 15" & 13" MacBook Pro Retina - Apple Store (Australia). But my question is this: is the nVidia GPU worth the extra money? I'm currently using a 4+ year old 2010 model MBP and I got the best GPU available at the time, thinking I'd have time for games...which I never end up having time for. Getting a new rMBP would be work horse machine for predominantly print based graphic design work, but would the nVidia GPU help with Photoshop or After Effects AT ALL? I'm thinking of also getting the 1TB SSD upgrade as well. A little bit overkill, but I'd like more than my current 500gig for convenience. Looking forward to some SSD action after using a 7200rpm hard drive these past few years.

What are peoples' impressions from the last models?

Also, I had to get a motherboard replacement for my 2010 MBP last year and look at the history of MBPs with GPUs in them, they've all seemed to require motherboard replacements due to heat issues. The replacement was free, so great, but I'm kinda more interested in a machine's that's going to last longer?

- Alex

Well the GPU is certainly faster than the one in your 2010 machine (though that's a given: even Iris graphics is faster and it's integrated): GeForce GT 750M vs 320M

But if you can hold off till mid-next year then the upgrade to Broadwell would be a more significant jump in all areas technically (with even a newer form factor than the existing retinas).
    I believe Adobe doesnít push the GPU very hard (if youíre talking games, thatís a different story) so from the GPU department your 2010 Mac wonít feel that much faster. It would be the SSD and 4th gen Intel i7 CPU that would do more of the heavy lifting with greater results. On that note, give your 2010 MBP a boost by getting a 512GB SSD, and wait it out till 2015 rMBPs finally arrive.
    2005 15" PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz (1st Mac purchased on the day iTunes AU opened!); 2014 15" Retina MacBook Pro (16GB RAM; Nvidia 750M); iPad 3rd Gen 64GB w/ cellular

The new MBP's look good.

Given the 'un-upgradability' of them though, I would be tempted to go for the top model with the dedicated graphics.

While today the difference between the nVidia and IRIS graphics on your workload may not be much, integrated graphics cards rarely age as gracefully as dedicated offerings.

Just my two cents :-)
    ** iMac 3.4ghz QCi7, 16GB RAM, 4TB SSHD, 500GB SSD, 6970 2GB **
    ** MacBook Pro. C2D 2.2ghz, 4gb RAM, 480gb SSD, 8600M GT 128mb **
    ** G5 Dual 2ghz, 4gb RAM, 750gb HD, 6800 Ultra DDL 256mb & XServe RAID 7TB**

It is a sad day

I knew it was just a matter of time when my 1st MBP would no longer remain the most current MBP
    Late 2015 - 4.7" iPhone 6s (Silver), 1.8 GHz 16nm TSMC A9, 128GB, iOS 9.2
    Late 2013 - 13" rMBP 2.6GHz Intel 4th-gen i5, 22nm Haswell, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, OS X 10.11.2

I've just upgraded the RAM and HDD (to SSD) in my mid-2009 MBP. It's given it another lease on life, and will get me through to next year's hopefull Broadwell upgrade.

There's not much point in upgrading until at least Broadwell is released If you've got a MacBook Pro released in the last 3 years purely in terms of CPU. There have been no CPU advances as such by Intel in the last 4 years and Broadwell will only be a minor tick, in the tick tock cycle of Intel CPUs with nothing MAJOR being released until well into 2015 or beyond.

On the other hand, if you need a faster GPU for whatever reason then it's a step up, it just is a matter of what you do. Do you play games frequently, or do a lot of GPU rendering/folding tasks? If your answer is no, then you do not NEED this upgrade as much as you may WANT it.
    Last edited by Orestes; 30th July 2014 at 08:26 PM.
    "It's more fun to be a pirate than to join the navy" -Steve Jobs.
    PPC:Early 2005 Xserve G5 2.3ghz Intel:Early 2011 MacBook Pro 13" 2.3ghz iOS: ATV3, iPhone 4.