Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Wireless without landline?

I'm moving to a rental place for a few months that doesn't have a fixed phoneline. I currently use PAYG on my iPhone. But I'm wondering how I can set up a wireless network in my new rental place, so I can use my macbook pro, Apple TV (new!), iPad etc ... Should I be getting one of those 'dongle' things for the mbp? Can I set up a wireless network incorporating that? Any suggestions?

How about a mobile 4G modem? For example, Telstra: http://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/...-starter-kits/
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" (Mid-2014) iPhone 6 iPad mini 2

leafnight.wordpress.com | Twitter

The general answer is going to be using NextG/4G/3G wireless - i.e. Internet connectivity using the mobile phone network. This tends to be relatively expensive for relatively small download limits (shop around, there's lots of variation and it depends on which telco's have coverage where you live).

If you're really lucky, you may have commercial Wi-Fi providers within range. These providers use standard Wi-Fi technology to provide Internet connectivity - think of it as being a little like one huge commercial-grade AirPort Extreme. These aren't anything like as common but they're around and if you're lucky to be in a coverage area may be a better deal than NextG.

If the place you're moving into has pay TV there may also be cable Internet options associated with that.

David

I did the same thing last year by using a 3G usb dongle that I already had, and plugging it into a TP-Link MR3020 router which I bought for about $30. (I had it in bridge mode so I could still use my Time Capsule for backups).

Main thing is to check which mobile networks run at acceptable speed in your area (since we were near a private school and Optus/Voda was pretty much useless from 3pm-6:30pm).

have a lokk and see if vivid wireless is available, they are cheap and offer good packages
    27" iMac | iPad Air 2 128GB | ATV | iPhone5S 64GB | AirPort Extreme | iPod Classic | Apple Watch ;-)

As people have hinted at, 3G/4G can get very expensive very quickly depending on your usage patterns. If you're a very light user it might be just fine.

If you are even a moderate user Mobile Broadband can get either very expensive or limiting as a primary/only internet connection. (especially if you don't have friends/work that you can attempt to sponge off... I've got friends who try to go to Maccas to do their iOS updates since they need WiFi and they rely on sharing their mobile broadband from the phone to their computer)

Define "a few months"? If it's 6 months or so then carriers like TPG will do a six month contract.

Another option which is worth looking at is Belong:
    https://www.belong.com.au/

From what I have seen it's a Telstra initiative, they do a bundle with a basic phone line, but if you don't want to use the hard line just don't plug in a phone. No contracts so could be good a for a short term stay (just be very aware of any cancellation requirements/notification periods).

Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    From what I have seen it's a Telstra initiative, they do a bundle with a basic phone line, but if you don't want to use the hard line just don't plug in a phone. No contracts so could be good a for a short term stay (just be very aware of any cancellation requirements/notification periods).

I'm under the impression that the OP doesn't have access to a fixed telephone line, so wireless/cable are among the only options.

Unless I'm mistaken?

Is that "doesn't physically have" or "currently doesn't have it connected"?
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

Quote Originally Posted by susiegb View Post
    I'm moving to a rental place for a few months that doesn't have a fixed phoneline.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    Is that "doesn't physically have" or "currently doesn't have it connected"?
    The original statement seems to suggest there is a "fixed phone line" - however if the premises is just disconnected, that would be different altogether.