Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What about CF cards? I put one into my TAM and it took about a minute to install. Do they work on other machines as well.
    Boxed: Original 128K, SE, LC, Quadra 700, PM5500 DE, PM6100, G4 Cube, AppleCD 300e, Newtons *** Unboxed: //e, //c, IIGS, 128K, 512K, Beige ED, Platinum ED, Plus, SE FDHD, SE/30, Portable, II, IIx, IIfx, Performa 250, LC575, 2 x TAM, 2 x TechStep

In machines with IDE they work fine with a cheap CF -> IDE adapter. SCSI only machines can take a CF card with the use of an CF Aztecmonster CF 3 5" Scsi Converter Card FOR MAC Akai Sampler NEW Condition | eBayAztecMonster. Never used one, but from what I hear they're awesome. There's also a version for PowerBooks, the PowerMonster.
    Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two...

I use CF on my pre G3 Laptop Macs with PCMIA slots... My 190, 1400 and 5300 use them
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Well this LC475 project is complete!
    First major issue was getting the video output to work - solved by purchasing PRAM battery. I couldn't get it to work without it.
    Second issue was the dead hard drive, originally a Quantum ProDrive ELS. I found a youtube video showing how you can take the top off, and at the right moment, flick the head over to the right (as it's stuck) and it will boot fine. 68KMLA also features a thread with people saying this works, however I after multiple attempts the drive refused to boot.

I decided to yank a 40MB SCSI hard drive out of my Mac Classic II (CRT is faulty) and install that into the LC475. It refused to boot becuase the LC475 requires System 7.1, so the next problem of restoring SSW with no media. A local collector lent me some 1.4MB floppy disks and I set to work recreating the correct restore disks based off my LC630 restore CD.

Apple were forward thinking with this CD - not only can you restore the LC630 with everything it needs, but they give you 'plain' disk images of SSW 7.5 and the software to reproduce them! Very helpful. Disk by disk I created the restore set and started feeding them into the LC475. On the last disk a vague error message popped up and said 'No changes have been saved' and thats it. Ugh!

Back to booting from my fresh disk tools floppy, I initialised the old Mac Classic drive (I didn't before because I was trying to upgrade and keep the old files) and started the process again. At disk 5 it failed, again with a simple error message. So I booted the LC630 back up, and reimaged disk 5 thinking the floppy was corrupt some how.

Third times a charm - with a fresh PRAM battery, initialised hard drive and new restore floppies - SSW 7.5 went on like it should. Phew.

I've since located the matching high rez monochrome monitor which sit atop the LC475 perfectly - the curves of the front bezel match the case and on the sides the snow white lines match too. This system will be given to the collector who helped with with the blank floppies. Saving the world - one mac at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmacs View Post
    I use CF on my pre G3 Laptop Macs with PCMIA slots... My 190, 1400 and 5300 use them
    You can also get IDE -> CF adapters that connect to your HDD connector, saving your PC card slots for something else I have one in my 1400.
    Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two...

That is a good point

I think I chose the PC sloe option, so I can also keep a 20 GB hard drive inside (I have a lot of spare ice 2.5 inch Laptop HDs) :P
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Hi all!

I am new to these parts, but am in the midst of some restoration projects. Think I have enough to keep me going for 6 months, but here is what's currently underway:

* Motorola Starmax 4000/200 - bought this for novelty value - turns out that it suffered a leaked battery. I've cleaned up the board a bit, but not sure if it works yet - have paid for a Rayovac battery, but still need some 2K EDO to try to boot it (bought 4K EDO which likely won't work )
    * IIsi - seems to have a dead PSU. Bit dirty outside, but nearly spotless inside. No leaked caps visible. Just makes a little cough from the speaker when power is applied but won't respond to the power button.
    * IIci & cx - have washed the cases, but need to retrobright them. The boards look OK, although the ci seems to have leaked caps. The cx had 8 banks of RAM full but sadly the RAM holders are a bit broken.
    * IIx - need to solder PRAM batteries on, or find a useful battery holder for them. Probably something that won't get done in the next 6 months ...

On top of that there's a WGS8550 hiding around needing restoration, and I am on the lookout for more! I tend to smuggle them into the house when the wife's not looking ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2