Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

For JS and Macman...

Picasso box

And some more crap...

This was after I got around to pulling stuff out today to look for something, before I gave up.

If it makes JS feel any better, I found out a couple weeks ago that one of the kids used the foam inserts from my 128 for a school project last year... Grrr
    iMac i5 retina 24GB, Macbook Air i7, iPad Air 2 128GB, iPad Air 2 64GB, iPhone 6s and lots of old stuff.

Tim! So sorry to hear about the foam!

Is that your Picasso box, and is it perchance for sale? Tantalizingly close to a complete set...

Yes but sorry, no sale. Need it to keep my mac company.

They do show up on fleabay if you keep an eye out.

I thought I sorted this out after the last episode with my HP calculator box but apparently not.

Why don't my family value the junk I collect?
    iMac i5 retina 24GB, Macbook Air i7, iPad Air 2 128GB, iPad Air 2 64GB, iPhone 6s and lots of old stuff.

No problem, if you change your mind, you know where I am. I must have OCD to care about some stickers and a power cord box!
    Boxed: Original 128K, SE, LC, Quadra 700, PM5500 DE, PM6100, G4 Cube, AppleCD 300e, Newtons *** Unboxed: //e, //c, IIGS, 128K, 512K, Beige ED, Platinum ED, Plus, SE FDHD, SE/30, Portable, II, IIx, IIfx, Performa 250, LC575, 2 x TAM, 2 x TechStep

Nice Mac room tim - I could camp out in that for a few days and keep entertained

^^ I could spend some quality time in there
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Can be fun to have a dig through. At least the room stays dry, dark and cool so longer term storage is ok.

Would be nice to confine everything to one room eventually.

There are a few around here that have a lot more stuff though!

Well, if you ever think about offloading a Lisa/XL or an Apple ][, hook a brother up
    Boxed: Original 128K, SE, LC, Quadra 700, PM5500 DE, PM6100, G4 Cube, AppleCD 300e, Newtons *** Unboxed: //e, //c, IIGS, 128K, 512K, Beige ED, Platinum ED, Plus, SE FDHD, SE/30, Portable, II, IIx, IIfx, Performa 250, LC575, 2 x TAM, 2 x TechStep

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    Can be fun to have a dig through. At least the room stays dry, dark and cool so longer term storage is ok.
    Out of interest, what makes the room so good - what sort of room is it? I'm currently building a garage to house cars + Macs, and concerned about long-term storage. It'll be dark and dry but uninsulated - in comparison under my house it's dark/dry/and warm. Not sure where the best place will be for my haul.

Byrd, I'd be inclined to spend a bit extra to get it insulated and finished properly. Well worth it in the long run.

The position from the builder is that it's not worth insulating this garage - considering the brick walls are not insulated, it will be a waste of money. I'm going to see how it goes without, and if not I can always put some in myself. It's in direct sun most of the day too.

I'll post pics up soon once it looks a little more complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    Out of interest, what makes the room so good - what sort of room is it? I'm currently building a garage to house cars + Macs, and concerned about long-term storage. It'll be dark and dry but uninsulated - in comparison under my house it's dark/dry/and warm. Not sure where the best place will be for my haul.
    The room is well insulated as it's downstairs inside the house. Seems to stay same temp all the time too with little humidity as the door is almost always shut.

I saw a collection that was kept in a storage area with no insulation and not well sealed in Sydney a while ago and everything was corroding.

I like the photo of the storage area. Lots of treasure to drool over. Looks like an emphasis on Apple (early stuff) over Macintosh stuff? Certainly a good line-up of Apple ]['s and Lisa's.

Nice to have a storage area dedicated like that, and indoors too. I have very little in the shed in the way of machines (mainly parts and broken stuff). Dusty insides are spoilt by a bit of moisture, dry is important as well as keeping things from getting cooked in the heat of a shed...

Quote Originally Posted by macman142 View Post
    I like the photo of the storage area. Lots of treasure to drool over. Looks like an emphasis on Apple (early stuff) over Macintosh stuff?
    Still plenty of Macintosh stuff in there...

No wonder you are not worried about selling them off! I like the differing shades of yellow...

I had 41 compacts, and by swapping parts back and forth, I was able to get 22 out of 41 fully operational. I am thinking this could be 23, just need to have a go at my 2 Colour Classics. These were stored rough in a barracks exposed to the elements, so I'm sure you'll have a much better success rate.

I'm just thinking about the amount of re-capping you have ahead on those Classics - blech!

Quote Originally Posted by jsarchibald View Post
    No wonder you are not worried about selling them off! I like the differing shades of yellow...
    I'm just thinking about the amount of re-capping you have ahead on those Classics - blech!
    Actually recapping is just all good fun! As for the yellowing- auto white balance doesn't always work- they aren't that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    Still plenty of Macintosh stuff in there...

So this is why I've had a hard time finding an affordable classic or SE.... they're all at your place :P
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Planning on the ol Retrobrite to smarten up my collection, will be very interested to see what they look like.

js - 41 compacts into 22 - that's pretty good, and you must have the patience of a saint! Compacts are so annoying to work on and test - I once bought about ten SEs from a bloke in the bush - they were stored in a shipping container outdoors - and got so fed up with taking the (rusty) machines apart, testing them, rebuliding them - for not much coin in the end.

I'm wary of Retrobrite - it works well, but it appears the plastic yellows at a much quicker rate (goes back in ~ 2 - 3 years). Then if you repeat the process again and again - surely it will degrade the plastic over time?

JB

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    I'm wary of Retrobrite - it works well, but it appears the plastic yellows at a much quicker rate (goes back in ~ 2 - 3 years). Then if you repeat the process again and again - surely it will degrade the plastic over time?
    I agree- I think retrobrite can be good in smaller items (keyboard surrounds and mice) but I would not attempt it again for larger ones in a hurry. From what I have read, the yellowing seems to return after a couple years, no matter how the item is stored.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast