Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Mavericks for 3 Macs... 3 downloads?

G'day,

Clearly, Apple cares naught for download limits...

I've just downloaded Mavericks for my new iMac... I'd also like to instal it on my MacBookPro... Am I able to use the 5GB file/s that were downloaded for the iMac, to upgrade the MBP? Or has it downloaded a Mac-specific version only?

Cheers,

cosmic
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Yup - stick the installer on a USB stick before you start the installer on the iMac...
    13" MacBook Pro retina: i5 2.5GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD; Mac mini: i5 2.3GHz 8GB RAM Fused 240GB SSD and 500GB HDD; iMac: G4 17" 1.25GHz 2GB RAM 160GB HDD; iPhone 5 64GB; iPad mini 64GB LTE; Apple TV 3

Or even better create a USB based installer using Diskmaker X

Oh... not after doing the instal?
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

No - because OSX nukes the installer after a successful install...
    13" MacBook Pro retina: i5 2.5GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD; Mac mini: i5 2.3GHz 8GB RAM Fused 240GB SSD and 500GB HDD; iMac: G4 17" 1.25GHz 2GB RAM 160GB HDD; iPhone 5 64GB; iPad mini 64GB LTE; Apple TV 3

Now that is annoying!!!

Yep, already ran the installer on the iMac... Doh.

Thanks for the prompt answers, guys - appreciate it.

If you had of moved the installer out of the Applications folder to say, the desktop, or duplicated it before performing the install, it would not have been nuked.

My favourite method is of course to make a bootable USB memstick installer first. I've been doing this since Lion.

Personally found this easier but again must be run prior to Installer. You can download another copy.

How To Create An OS X Mavericks USB Installation Drive | Lifehacker Australia

Ahh, see that's the problem with not updating since 10.6...

Lucky I'm on a 100GB plan I guess.

That Terminal command works a treat. It takes a while so don't sit there watching the moving >>>>
    Last edited by simonm; 30th January 2014 at 08:49 AM.