Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Importing random songs from iTunes to iPod 4th gen

Hi all,

With my 4th gen iPod with previous versions of iTunes I used to be able to import random songs at from iTunes.

NB: the 4th gen iPod is 2Gb and I have more than 2Gb of songs in iTunes.

Now with the latest version of iTunes it simply imports the first songs until the iPod is full. I know I can import playlists but I want it to simply randomly pick songs until the iPod is full.

I can still do it with my earlier 1Gb iPod with current version of iTunes, and as I said I could previously do it with the newer 2Gb iPod with earlier versions of iTunes but now it won't do it.

Any suggestions?

TIA.
    Grahame

Default Importing random songs from iTunes to iPod 4th gen

Hi Grahame,

When your iPod is connected to iTunes, there should be a tab bar near the top of the window which has 'Summary', 'Music', etc.,

Clicking on 'Music' should give you options as to whether you want to sync your 'Entire music library', or 'Selected' songs only. If you choose 'Selected' songs only, you will be presented with a list just below with the further options as to which artists, albums, etc. you would like.

The only other way I can think of is to drag-and-drop your preferred songs onto your iPod listed on the side bar of iTunes, or into a new playlist and choose to sync that playlist only with your iPod.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by lawrencium; 26th December 2013 at 03:37 PM.
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" (Mid-2014) iPhone 6 iPad mini 2

leafnight.wordpress.com | Twitter

Yes thanks for that - I know I can import a playlist (or artist or genre etc) but previously I have been able to get random songs into the iPod - until full. (And still can do that with the older 1Gb iPod - but the older iPod doesn't have Voice Over so I prefer the newer one.)

Thanks anyway.
    G.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahameR View Post
    previously I have been able to get random songs into the iPod - until full
    Could you specify the method of how you were/are able to import "random songs" onto your iPod via iTunes?

Sorry, I just need to be clear as to exactly what you're trying to do.
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" (Mid-2014) iPhone 6 iPad mini 2

leafnight.wordpress.com | Twitter

Definitely there for me. Sync just one playlist with one song and try?

Hi and thanks.

Let's be clear - I have two iPods a 1Gb and a 2Gb. I currently have iTunes 11.1.3 (8) - which is the latest.

I wish to download random tracks from iTunes to my iPods and then use the shuffle to play them randomly.

With the 1Gb this is simply achieved by hitting Autofill. It loads random songs (as per the option under Settings) until the iPod is full (when it brings up a box telling you it can't load the whole lot but will keep loading until full). Simple and excellent!

With the 2Gb, the interface with iTunes is different - yes I don't know why but it is. So it doesn't have the 'Choose items randomly' or 'Replace all items when Autofilling' that are available with the 1Gb.
    I have - as bennyling shows - an option to 'Automatically fill free space with songs'. But as I noted the amount of free space (2Gb) is less than the number of songs in iTunes (and once the iPod is full it has no free space anyway). That is it does not the option to 'Replace all items when Autofilling'. Therefore it tells me that the 'go to list' (be that playlists, artists, albums or genres) is bigger than 2Gb and it will not attempt to load such lists.

And if it starts (and it did once or twice) it simply selects all the songs starting at the top i.e. it will not select songs randomly.

Now I understand perfectly that I can manually create a random playlist that is less than or equal to 2Gb. But that is time consuming and is a step that I don't need to take with the 'more primitive' 1Gb iPod. That is what I am trying to overcome.

To pre-empt another question - why not just use the 1Gb iPod?. Well the 2Gb has the Voiceover meaning I can find out what (new) music I am listening to - something the 1Gb does not have.

There are other questions I would like to ask but so as not to complicate things I will just - for now - stick to this issue.

Thanks,
    Grahame

Firmware differences between the two models explains why you can fill one with random songs but not the other.

(Also explains why you have Voiceover on one and not the other.)

Unfortunately, firmware differences also mean you'll have to investigate other means if you want to sync random songs onto the newer iPod.

Thanks bennyling.

The frustrating thing about is that I could previously do the random tracks thing with the 2Gb iPod. At some point Apple have 'improved' things and that option appears to have been lost.

For that reason I am now seeking advice on this forum i.e. investigating 'other means'.

Thanks.
    G.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahameR View Post
    For that reason I am now seeking advice on this forum i.e. investigating 'other means'.

Toggle the "Random" part every time you want new songs. (Switch it to something else, hit OK, edit the Smart Playlist again, switch it back to Random, hit OK.)

Smart Playlists are awesome. I sync my own play lists but have an auto one that picks random songs I haven't listened to in a while. When I pick this one I get some old songs I haven't heard in a while and next time I sync they all change (if I have listened to them).

Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

Thank you so much guys - as you may have guessed I was getting a bit frustrated!! My faith in Apple has been restored as I couldn't believe they would 'improve' it and yet seemingly go backwards. I figured it simply had to be my ignorance.

So again thanks.

Regards, G