Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Which Macbook to buy? Need your advice!

Dear Mac lovers,

I’m looking to upgrade my 2010 Macbook Pro (MBP) to another MBP.

I was initially only considering just the new 13” models, but it seems the 15” models offer quite an increase in processing power for the money, so I’m now considering these. Even the early 2013 15” models seem to be a decent buy these days.

My requirements are:

-minimum 500GB SSD
    -minimum 8GB RAM
    -Retina screen

The majority of the work I’ll be doing is web browsing, word processing, Excel spreadies and occasional 1080p video editing (recently purchased a GoPro).

Questions:
    -Is 8 GB RAM enough?
    -Is there any compelling reason NOT to buy an early 2013 model 15” MBP?
    -Where are the best MBP deals? (I know apple is doing a very average special for black the Friday sale)
    -Which is the best buy of the following 3 options:

Option 1: Early 2013 15” MBP - $2599
    -2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    -Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
    -16GB 1600MHz memory
    -512GB flash storage (SATA)
    -Intel Iris Graphics (integrated)
    -NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
    -Built-in battery (7 hours)

Option 2: Late 2013 13” MBP - $2199
    -2.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    -Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
    -8GB 1600MHz memory
    -512GB flash storage (PCIe)
    -Intel HD Graphics 4000
    -Built-in battery (9 hours)

Option 3: Late 2013 13” MBP - $2439
    -2.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    -Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
    -16GB 1600MHz memory
    -512GB flash storage (PCIe)
    -Intel HD Graphics 4000
    -Built-in battery (9 hours)

Many thanks for your help!

Cheers
    Reece

I'm sure a lot of other people will say this as well, but you should consider whether you actually need to spend as much as you are.
    Consider the reasons why you want to upgrade from your current laptop? Is it too slow? not enough battery?
    I personally 'downgraded' from a 2010 15" MBP to a 2011 13" MBA and would have to say that I prefer it a whole lot more. It is way lighter and more portable, making it less of a hassle to take everywhere with me, it runs cooler and quieter, and it has a longer battery life. It is more than capable of web browsing, mail, web development and even windows 7 virtualization. All this on a 1.7Ghz core i5 with 4gb ram.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't get on the laptops mentioned above, but I am saying that something like a current gen air would be more that capable of you needs and would also rival the other laptops in (IMHO) the more important specs such as weight and battery life.
    Killing two birds with one stone just wastes an opportunity to throw stones!

Hi Jacko30,

Thanks for your reply.

The reasons I'm upgrading are because my current MBP (which has a 2.4 ghz core 2 duo chip and upgraded to 8GB corsair RAM and 1TB 5400rpm Western Digital HDD):

-can be a bit laggy and slow (i suspect due to the HDD)
    -stutters on 1080p playback of gopro videos
    -screen resolution is poor
    -battery life is poor (even after new battery)

Given that this is occuring with 8GB of aftermarket RAM, I've set that as a bare minimum for the upgrade. Having said that, I don't know how much of the performance issues I'm experiencing should be attributed to the HDD (most I assume) and the RAM (less so).

Thoughts?

Cheers
    Reece

To add to my last sentence above, I also should have mentioned how much the processor may impact on the performance issues i am experiencing. I would imagine that the HDD and the old intel core 2 duo processor are the main culprits, hence why I am attracted by the SSD and quad core of the 15". But perhaps the 13" Haswell i5 dual core will do the job?

I am currently looking to get a late 2013 retina MBP and it basically comes down to screen size/portability. and if you want/need the dedicated graphics card.

from the 1000 reviews and forum threads I have read on it,
    if you are happy with a 13" screen, just buy the best 13" you can afford.
    if you want the bigger screen then get the best 15" you can afford.

In your predicament probably option 3 as you can never have enough ram as it is not upgradable in the late 2013 models