I have an early 2013 15" MacBook Pro Retina which of course uses a MagSafe2 power adaptor.

I have a Thunderbolt display at home and an old Magsafe 1 85W power adaptor at work, both of which need one of those little magsafe 1 to magsafe 2 adaptors to work... (I use the supplied magsafe 2 adaptor on the road which isn't all that often but it saves me loosing an adaptor). When I first got the rMBP it seemed everything was working a treat, over time the magsafe 1 power adaptors have worked less and less often. No orange/green light, no charging... (but it seems to be powering the machine while it's connected)

Switching back to the supplied magsafe 2 adaptor and everything works perfectly.

I wouldn't be too worried if it was just the spare stand alone adaptor since it can be easily replaced, but the one built into the display not working is just pissing me off.

Disconnecting and reconnecting the adaptor solved the problem about half the time, but even that isn't working anymore.

Hunting around the web and I've seen a few people with the same problem. A few people saying the problem has become more permanent since Mavericks, but since that's been a month I'm sure charging has worked at least some of the time for me since I still have charge. (but to be fair I have spent most of the last month plugged into power).

Is this a common fault with these adaptors? Anyone else having the same sort of issue?>