Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Cool HELP! Hitachi Travelstar 7K10000 on OptiBay Caddy (Disk error/Not recognized)

    Hey folks, dealing with an issue regarding a Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 2.5 drive. Been messaging back and forth with the guys that I purchased this off on ebay.
    I've sent the drive back for inspection and they claim that the drive is in working order and they're prepared to send it back to me.
    Unfortunately for me, when I had installed the drive into my Macbook Pro laptop, the drive showed up on Disk Utilities but failed to format as a MacOS drive saying Drive could not be initialized.
    During reboot, it says Drive not recognized or something like that.

    Currently, I'm in the middle of asking for a refund but they're pushing me to get them to send it back including a small postage fee.
    I'm worried that it would be more than likely that once I retrieve it, it won't work.
    Also, a refund would apparently cost me %25 of what I paid for.

    I've received a free new replacement caddy which also didn't work.
    The drive didn't work on another MBP when I plugged it in using an SATA to USB converter
    I'm running the latest Mavericks.
    What should I do!?!?!?

    I've also just been reading about people having issues regarding different SATA speeds.
    Apparently one user had no trouble with the Travelstar 7K1000 installed within the original bay.
    The problem is, when I've swapped the drives around, my laptop wouldn't boot.
    If the possible solution would be to have the hybrid ssd hdd on the optical bay caddy and the hitachi 1tb hdd on the original hdd bay, how would I get it to boot plus keeping the original files etc?





  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hobart, TAS
    Posts
    6,422

    Default

    If you've tried to erase/initialise/format the drive using a SATA to USB converter on another Mac, and that still didn't work, then it's definitely the drive that's the issue here.

    It's probably a moot point as the drive you've bought doesn't appear to work, when you swapped the drives around did you try to boot up by holding down the option key and then selecting your usual boot drive?

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bennyling View Post
    If you've tried to erase/initialise/format the drive using a SATA to USB converter on another Mac, and that still didn't work, then it's definitely the drive that's the issue here.

    It's probably a moot point as the drive you've bought doesn't appear to work, when you swapped the drives around did you try to boot up by holding down the option key and then selecting your usual boot drive?
    Thanks for the reply bennyling, I've actually contacted the sellers and they've been kind enough to show a video to prove that the drive actually works.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti0OuPO6h-g

    The problem is they're using an older 2010 model and also I'm trying to achieve something different other than a fresh installation with the drive bay.


    However I havn't tried holding the option key method as of yet, I'm going to hopefully receive the drive sometime soon to try a few other things again. If this doesn't work I might send it back and get a refund. (Apparently they can't restock as a brand new item so unfortunately they'll have to take %25 off the drive for returns, which is why I'm hesitant to go this route)

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Try it on a desktop machine - could be a power issue with the USB ports on your newer MBP not supporting the higher power draw of the fast 7200RPM drive. You can also pick up USB cables with two connectors on the end, to draw more amps.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hobart, TAS
    Posts
    6,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fknchino View Post
    Thanks for the reply bennyling, I've actually contacted the sellers and they've been kind enough to show a video to prove that the drive actually works.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti0OuPO6h-g

    The problem is they're using an older 2010 model and also I'm trying to achieve something different other than a fresh installation with the drive bay.
    Hah, interesting (that they've gone to that effort and that the drive works in their machine).

    It's possible (albeit unlikely) there's a hardware incompatibility with your Mac that drive, and an OptiBay, but I'd try booting up with the SSD in the OptiBay first holding down option and seeing if that works first.

  6. #6
    JimWOz's Avatar JimWOz is offline 56 no. ...and still seeing it big as a footy

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    829

    Default

    The 2011 MBP 15 inch models do not support SATA 3 in the Optical drive bay. There is info on the OWC site about this.
    I had to put a SATA 3 SSD into the main drive bay for it to work, (and it does at SATA 3 speed) and my WD 1TB HD into the Optibay, at SATA 2 speed.
    The SATA socket is rated to SATA 3 but the cabling doesn't work on a 2011 MBP 15, so the drive negotiates SATA 3 then it won't work. (Apple only warrant SATA 1 here for the DVD drive) Interestingly, the MBP 13's of the same age support SATA 3 on the optical drive bay.

    A SATA 1 or 2 drive works fine in these MBP 15 optical drive bays.
    MBP15 i7 2.2 16G/1TB/120SSD, MB C2D2.4 Black, MB2.0 Black, PBG4/15/1.5, PMG4 MDD, iMacG3/333, Epson1410, HPLJ5200DN, HP ML115 Ubuntu Server, Airport Extreme+Express N. In the closet: HP DC7600 PC, PBG4/12/867, PBG3/333, PM6200, PB5300C, SE30, SE.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JimWOz View Post
    The 2011 MBP 15 inch models do not support SATA 3 in the Optical drive bay. There is info on the OWC site about this.
    I had to put a SATA 3 SSD into the main drive bay for it to work, (and it does at SATA 3 speed) and my WD 1TB HD into the Optibay, at SATA 2 speed.
    The SATA socket is rated to SATA 3 but the cabling doesn't work on a 2011 MBP 15, so the drive negotiates SATA 3 then it won't work. (Apple only warrant SATA 1 here for the DVD drive) Interestingly, the MBP 13's of the same age support SATA 3 on the optical drive bay.

    A SATA 1 or 2 drive works fine in these MBP 15 optical drive bays.
    I've actually got the MBP 13" so it should work right?
    Could it be the 7200 rpm matter?

  8. #8
    JimWOz's Avatar JimWOz is offline 56 no. ...and still seeing it big as a footy

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fknchino View Post
    I've actually got the MBP 13" so it should work right?
    Could it be the 7200 rpm matter?
    No, the rotational speed has nothing to do with it.
    This is the source of my info, coupled with my own experience trying a 6G OWC Electra drive in the optical bay.

    Test the TravelStar in the main drive bay of the MBP. Option key down on startup and select the disk to boot from.
    The machine will boot from either the main bay or the optical bay no problems. So if your current HD is in the optical bay and won't boot then there must be a problem with the optibay adaptor.
    Last edited by JimWOz; 27th November 2013 at 12:41 PM.
    MBP15 i7 2.2 16G/1TB/120SSD, MB C2D2.4 Black, MB2.0 Black, PBG4/15/1.5, PMG4 MDD, iMacG3/333, Epson1410, HPLJ5200DN, HP ML115 Ubuntu Server, Airport Extreme+Express N. In the closet: HP DC7600 PC, PBG4/12/867, PBG3/333, PM6200, PB5300C, SE30, SE.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •