Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My wife and I are on the old $49 cap plans with $400 calls and 1gb of data (signed up when the iPhone 4 came out), as we bundle it with our home internet we get a $10 credit each and free calls to each other. So in essence we are paying only $39 p/m each. Due to our usage not being huge and the fact our existing plans are fine, we have both purchased outright phones (5 & 5s) as it was cheaper than going on a new contract plan where we would lose our credits and home bundle.
    iMac 3.2 (late 2010) | iPhone 4 16GB | iPad 2 16GB 3G

Update: Just looked again at their plans and since I started this thread the Small plan has dropped from 1GB to only 500MB. So now they want $82 for a 16GB 5s with 1.5GB data. Nothing in between. Optus do the same deal more or less for $74 a month. Wife and I are in the country quite a bit so coverage is important but so is money. Also when my plan ran out I went in and they said no worries since you now own the phone just pay $50 a month. Which I did. But found out that if I want a new Phone I have to pay a $50 severance pay as the $50 was a phoneless plan over 24 months. Nobody told me that.
    iMac 27" i7, 16GB RAM Late 2009 running El Capitan, iPhone 6 64GB and iPad Air 128GB WiFi + 4G, ATV2

What price for network reliability though?
    I changed to Telstra a few years ago and don't regret it, even though pay more I feel that it's worth it, given speed and service.

I haven't been with other carriers for a while so can't really compair, just my opinion.

Left Telstra years ago, and I've been very happy with Virgin. Great coverage, much cheaper and better customer service.
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmacs View Post
    Left Telstra years ago, and I've been very happy with Virgin. Great coverage, much cheaper and better customer service.
    It depends on where you live, and where you go to, in terms of coverage. I can barely raise one bar with Virgin, here. Telstra and Vodafone, excellent signal. I make so few calls that having a bazillion included is totally lost on me, instead I look for best value in data that lets me use iMessage and the like, and get weather forecasts and occasional news... So I opted for Prepaid: Telstra Longlife, 365 days, and then a switch to Simplicity (which gets cheap rates for calls and SMS if I do have to) but retaining the long expiry, and I buy $10 of data every month which, whilst its only 200Mb, is enough for what I do. I never go over that allowance. So my bill for a year, covering everything, is about $140 at the most. I can't get a better deal for my usage pattern.

That's sensational kyte, wish I could get a month that cheap. Haha I

I'm on the Telstra Family and Friends cap (still available at www.telstra.com.au/friendsandfamily by the way; any email address will work).

It's a $10 minimum spend with 1GB of data, with a $39 cap up to $400. Unlike other Telstra caps, the data is included in the cap value at 10c/mb (3c/mb if you buy a data pack, giving you up to 14GB of data for $39!).

You have to get an iPhone 5 on an MRO to be eligible for the offer though; a 64GB model is $20 per month for 24 months...

Last month, I spent $10.49 on calls and SMSs, so my bill will be $30.49...
    13" MacBook Pro retina: i5 2.5GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD; Mac mini: i5 2.3GHz 8GB RAM Fused 240GB SSD and 500GB HDD; iMac: G4 17" 1.25GHz 2GB RAM 160GB HDD; iPhone 5 64GB; iPad mini 64GB LTE; Apple TV 3

Quote Originally Posted by samuelowens View Post
    I'm on the Telstra Family and Friends cap (still available at www.telstra.com.au/friendsandfamily by the way; any email address will work).

It's a $10 minimum spend with 1GB of data, with a $39 cap up to $400. Unlike other Telstra caps, the data is included in the cap value at 10c/mb (3c/mb if you buy a data pack, giving you up to 14GB of data for $39!).

You have to get an iPhone 5 on an MRO to be eligible for the offer though; a 64GB model is $20 per month for 24 months...

Last month, I spent $10.49 on calls and SMSs, so my bill will be $30.49...
    So this available to anyone, not sure what you mean by 'any email address will work'. Could you clarify please.
    Also that $10.49 spend on calls and sms is pretty minimal isn't it, you must do little talking on the phone !

tia

Quote Originally Posted by midnight_e View Post
    So this available to anyone, not sure what you mean by 'any email address will work'. Could you clarify please.
    Also that $10.49 spend on calls and sms is pretty minimal isn't it, you must do little talking on the phone !

tia
    Provided you have a 'friend' who works at Telstra, you're eligible (there's no checking mind you! This is basically a way of clearing out iPhone 5 stock I think).

Yes, my call usage is minimal. I have a work landline, and have started using my home landline once again too (calls are much cheaper, although I still only do ~$5 worth).

Quote Originally Posted by PCKid View Post
    ...Also when my plan ran out I went in and they said no worries since you now own the phone just pay $50 a month. Which I did. But found out that if I want a new Phone I have to pay a $50 severance pay as the $50 was a phoneless plan over 24 months. Nobody told me that.
    EDIT: PCKid, you may be interested to know there's no recontracting charge on the Staff Plan because the plan itself is casual (the repayments for the iPhone form the contract). You may still have to pay an early termination charge on the $50 plan of up to $45 for each month remaining (check what you signed for, and read the contract closely in future!)...
    Last edited by samuelowens; 6th April 2014 at 11:10 AM.
    13" MacBook Pro retina: i5 2.5GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD; Mac mini: i5 2.3GHz 8GB RAM Fused 240GB SSD and 500GB HDD; iMac: G4 17" 1.25GHz 2GB RAM 160GB HDD; iPhone 5 64GB; iPad mini 64GB LTE; Apple TV 3

Quote Originally Posted by kyte View Post
    It depends on where you live, and where you go to, in terms of coverage. I can barely raise one bar with Virgin, here. Telstra and Vodafone, excellent signal. I make so few calls that having a bazillion included is totally lost on me, instead I look for best value in data that lets me use iMessage and the like, and get weather forecasts and occasional news... So I opted for Prepaid: Telstra Longlife, 365 days, and then a switch to Simplicity (which gets cheap rates for calls and SMS if I do have to) but retaining the long expiry, and I buy $10 of data every month which, whilst its only 200Mb, is enough for what I do. I never go over that allowance. So my bill for a year, covering everything, is about $140 at the most. I can't get a better deal for my usage pattern.

Its very strange isn't it! We get Vodaphone and Optus/Virgin reception in our area but very poor Telstra coverage. I'm also on prepaid (with Virgin) I usually use $19 (It lasts for 3 months) per two months which gives me 100 mb of data, free Virgin to Virgin calls and texts (Most people I know are on Virgin as well) 15 cents calls to all other numbers and 15 cents texts to all other numbers. Occasionally I buy 300mb of data for $10. These two prepaid plans sound quite similar, mine is called 'Simple' :P :P
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Telstra have been shuffling around the plans again of late, the personal and business plans have separated away from each other, before they were identical with the exception that the business plans had free intraaccount calls. We are well overdue to swap over so will be keen to see what Telstra come up with for our company. There are only 7 of us on the account with mobiles so we tend to fall into the crap territory for Telstra but we need at least 1.5GB which still isn't offered on the base plan like it once was.
    Successful trade with: Clockwork.....(and what a trade!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2