Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Step by step of clean install for Mavericks, and not using admin.

Hi all,

I converted to apple about seven years ago and have gone through the OS X upgrades(only to Lion) by doing an upgrade as opposed to a clean install. Basically due to not being sure of how and it was just easy. I have also been using it as the default admin, as I didn't set up as a user way back when. Some of my internet reading across the years have stated this isn't the best way of doing things.

With Mavericks around the corner I thought this may be as good a time as any to sort it out properly, but I have a few questions. Firstly and probably the main reason for it not happening before is software. If I back everything up, can I just drag and drop applications from the backup to the new username on the iMac with Mavericks. Surely there's a snag or two here, What are they?

I'm pretty sure I haven't kept the original software downloads for some of the programs, nor would I have any receipts from way back when either. I assume this stuff would be a repurchase?

Also what happens with my timemachine backup. I recall I had issues with that at some time, but not sure if that was changing TM hardware or if it was the OS upgrade.

Is there a step by step on what I would need to organise prior to attempting such a change.

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Drifting dry's down current lanes.

Anyone......Bueller?

Is this too simple that I should already know it?

You're over-thinking this.

1. Do a Time Machine backup
    2. Make a bootable USB using Lion DiskMaker 3b2 available, with Mavericks GM support !
    3. Boot into USB, use Disk Utility to format drive and install Mavericks.
    4. During set up, restore from the Time Machine backup done earlier...
    13" MacBook Pro retina: i5 2.5GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD; Mac mini: i5 2.3GHz 8GB RAM Fused 240GB SSD and 500GB HDD; iMac: G4 17" 1.25GHz 2GB RAM 160GB HDD; iPhone 5 64GB; iPad mini 64GB LTE; Apple TV 3

Cheers Samuel.

I was wondering if I was over complicating it.

I've only ever had to revert once to my backups before within time-machine, yonks ago and it was just one file.
    With step 4,
    Does the restore pick up just data and apps and plonk them in the new OS? Is there an auto function that grabs them all, or do I have to individually select what I want?

Sorry for more simple questions, but if you don't mind....

I've always been curious about this with time machine.
    If i do a restore from back up and i have a two HDD configuration (mac pro: ssd with os/apps and HDD with user folder in there, done using the OsX functionality, not sim links) does Time Machine get what's going on and doesn't need to restore gigs and gigs of stuff, because i wont be erasing the user folder in it?

You can select what you migrate across (apps, user accounts etc), but I can't remember if it goes down to individual app level...
    13" MacBook Pro retina: i5 2.5GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD; Mac mini: i5 2.3GHz 8GB RAM Fused 240GB SSD and 500GB HDD; iMac: G4 17" 1.25GHz 2GB RAM 160GB HDD; iPhone 5 64GB; iPad mini 64GB LTE; Apple TV 3

Right. So during the setup when it asks to migrate from Time Machine that will bring me unstuck as I want to set up Mavericks with a user not the admin account. I won't be able to migrate apps across different users will I?

Don't worry about a non-admin account if it's your own 'puter. It's not like Windows where admin rights enabled by default can lead to a person screwing up a computer without so much as a 'by your leave'...

Thanks for all your help Samuel.
    Much appreciated.

Anyone else having trouble getting LionDiskMaker version 3b2 to Utilities?