Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Taking Apple on over Breaking Bad Season 5 - Season Pass

Hi all,
    Curious to know if there's anyone else out there who bought a Season Pass for Breaking Bad Season 5, only to find that when iTunes made the second half of the series available, it had magically been renamed Season 6 and you had to buy a second Season Pass to see the second half of Season 5?
    An item on 9to5Mac recently - Following criticism & lawsuit, Apple refunding Breaking Bad iTunes Season Passes | 9to5Mac - suggests consumers in the US are being given refunds. I've been in touch with iTunes Store Support this morning and they've basically told me there's nothing doing for Australian consumers and I should take it up with AMC, the TV series producer.
    It seems the threat in the US of a class action lawsuit against Apple brought it to its senses, so I'm keen to find out how many other people are in the same boat as me.
    Cheers,
    GS.
    Boom - like that.

entropy's Avatar entropy is offline It's the heat death of the universe, my friends

Granny, it is AMC that decided to break up the season, not Apple. When AMC broke up the series, it would have been automatic in itunes.

That Apple was the one sued is stupid, I guess the reasoning for doing so was that Apple has the deepest pockets, and is more likely to do something about it. Which they did. I suspect Apple Australia knows nothing, but if you check your iTunes account there might be something there.

does anyone know if the same thing happened at Amazon?
    27 inch imac i7 3.4Ghz 2011 12,2 OSX 10.8

This same method of cheating customers has happened a few times lately, not just through iTunes but also for people buying physical season box sets from stores like JB Hi-Fi etc. The reality is if you check out these shows at the sites of those companies who produced them such as on AMC's own web site or other sources such as Wikipedia, IMDB, etc you will find that Apple and other companies have found a new way of fleecing customers by picking shows that have had a mid season break before returning to complete the season. They are making up their own season numbering scheme to cheat their customers. This is extremely bad form and sets a terrible precedent. There is no such thing as Season 6 of Breaking Bad. AMC themselves announced "On August 14, 2011, Breaking Bad was renewed for a fifth and final season consisting of 16 episodes. Season five is split into two parts, each consisting of 8 episodes. The first half premiered on July 15, 2012, while the second half premiered on August 11, 2013."

This fraudulent practice is happening with more and more shows and over the last year this practice has become much more prevalent. So Granny Smith you are completely justified in being upset and Entropy you shouldn't really be defending Apple in this particular case because they are 100% in the wrong.
    Greg Sharp
    President/Webmaster
    Australian Mac Users Group (AUSMUG)

An Aussie Online Sports Book store http://www.lockerroombooks.com.au

entropy's Avatar entropy is offline It's the heat death of the universe, my friends

I bow to your better info, AUSMUG. It was just what someone else told me.
    27 inch imac i7 3.4Ghz 2011 12,2 OSX 10.8

All good - this morning I got an e-mail from iTunes with a redemption code for a refund for the second season pass.
    It took a bit of stamping-of-feet, but Apple came good. Should I have doubted?

Entropy, I get what you're saying. My beef was with the concept of compensation for one set of consumers but not for others. That's been rectified.
    Last edited by Granny Smith; 25th September 2013 at 04:13 PM. Reason: To respond to an earlier post
    Boom - like that.