Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default In need of a signal booster

Hi guys,

I've moved to a very nice place but I have absolutely no mobile signal.
    The area is a black spot. Move 300 metres in any direction and the reception returns.

Because I have no need of an iPhone, I use a Nokia 2720, which looks like this:

I have no idea what kind of signal booster I should be looking for.
    Can anyone make some nifty suggestions?

(I've googled this for days but I keep seeing so-called signal boosters that appear to have coaxial cable connectors, so I really have no idea what a signal booster is - at least not for my needs...)

I'm assuming such a device would be wireless - yes? The Nokia 2720 is an extremely simple cell phone with a power jack and a head phone jack. Bluetooth drains the battery in no time flat.

Friends coming to visit with swanky 3G devices also lose all reception.

Cheers,

cw
    Lorks! Oh lordy! My bottom's on fire!!
    [Joan of Arc -
    1431]

Well - that appears to be a completely blind link that leads nowhere...

I'm actually searching for a piece of hardware.
    An antenna of some variety.
    Something that can simply stand somewhere in my room - on a desk or on a shelf.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Cheers,

cw
    [Joan of Arc -
    1431]

has the phone got an antenna input? if so just grab a mobile antenna from someone like prestige communications.

If not you will need a cradle that has a passive antenna link but getting one for the nokia might be a bit hard.
    Mac Pro Dual Xeon 2.8GHz Quad, 6GB Ram, 128GB SSD+320GB+3x1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX285, Mac OS X 10.7
    My Flickr | Portfolio/Photoblog

Quote Originally Posted by mac_man_luke View Post
    has the phone got an antenna input? if so just grab a mobile antenna from someone like prestige communications.

If not you will need a cradle that has a passive antenna link but getting one for the nokia might be a bit hard.
    Ah... so the drift here is that either way, I need to upgrade to something better?
    If... I had an iPhone or similar, what would I use to boost its signal?
    [Joan of Arc -
    1431]

The only thing similar to what you're describing (that I know of) is this

Telstra Business ? Mobile Smart Antenna

but this only boosts the signal inside your home, if there's no signal outside you're not going to be able to do anything
    Successful Trades: Lots

Clocky have you had a look on whirlpool. I do remember seeing something about what your after there.
    What your looking for goes on the roof or guttering and you have a lead coming inside to plug your phone into.

What you need is a Femtocell, which is geek speak for a tiny little mobile phone repeater designed for private use. As far as I'm aware the current situation is that Vodafone used to offer a product called 'Expand' but don't anymore, Telstra offer products like this only to business users and Optus advertise a product called 3G home zone which is connected to your home broadband connection and offers mobile phone service in a limited area to devices you approve for connection but requires you to have an Optus mobile phone.

Optus 3G Home Zone Review - Broadband - Good Gear Guide by PC World Australia

Overseas some countries have a wide selection of such products but in Australia the range is very limited.

Be aware that there are some non-approved devices available but the ACMA take a very dim view of them and they are really cracking down on people using them so I strongly recommend NOT going down that path.
    iPad Mini 4 128Gb 4G | iPhone 6 64GB | MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz Retina | Mac Mini i5 | Apple TV 3 |

Quote Originally Posted by Musky View Post
    Telstra Business ? Mobile Smart Antenna

If the antenna is big enough or has high gain it *could* help things, but only if there is a signal to boost. If there is nothing at all you're SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff3DMN View Post
    What you need is a Femtocell

The Femtocell is an interesting beast, it creates a local mini digital tower then pipes the data over your broadband connection and back onto the network at some point. The Optus one requires you to have an Optus Fixed broadband connection, it's good for ~30m of coverage from the base station. Of course it also means you are chewing up data allowance to transmit the mobile signals, although I have no clue how much it actually uses or if it's free data or not.

Which carrier do you use and what (if any) fixed broadband do you have? Long story short it's probably best to call them and ask specifically if they have or support Femtocells.
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

I'm with Vodaphone.
    I use my Nokia for very simple things, such as making and receiving calls @ $21.00 per month.

Am I stuffed? 8)
    [Joan of Arc -
    1431]

Quote Originally Posted by ClockWork View Post
    I'm with Vodaphone.
    I use my Nokia for very simple things, such as making and receiving calls @ $21.00 per month.

Am I stuffed? 8)
    I'm not aware of any cheap and simple solutions to your problem...

The solutions that are simple, plug in and work and easy to implement are expensive and the solutions that are cheap require 'making' skills and knowledge of RF theory and practice.
    iPad Mini 4 128Gb 4G | iPhone 6 64GB | MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz Retina | Mac Mini i5 | Apple TV 3 |

So... is there an example of these "simple plug in working expensive" solutions...?
    [Joan of Arc -
    1431]

So... is there an example of these "simple plug in working expensive" solutions...?
    Move elsewhere.

In my area (Outback Queensland) it's fairly common for graziers on the land to need boosters of various types to get their mobile devices (they use NextG devices for Internet as well as using mobile phones) working.

The most common solution is a yagi antenna bolted to some appropriate external surface connected to an antenna cable that runs inside and connects to whatever device you want to use. This requires that the device has the ability to physically plug in an antenna. You need to pick devices that will do this - there aren't all that many phones that'll do it.

I've seen people using an induction system for an antenna - basically, stick a plate to the outside of the phone near the antenna that then connects to an appropriate antenna system and hope that the proximity of the plate and phone antenna boost signal. Some say it works, some say it doesn't. I don't have personal experience either way.

Hope that helps.

David

Well the Optus Femtocell is one... just sign up to Optus Broadband, ask for an Optus 3G home zone with your contract add your phone to the device list and off you go.

I won't give details of the illegal plug in boosters as they create interference for legitimate users.

Telstra have an authorised booster for providing mobile signal in homes that are in a black spot - Telstra Business ? Mobile Smart Antenna this is potentially better than the Optus solution because you're not using your internet bandwidth to push voice down, but either will be a reasonable solution for you. Vodafone appear to have something called Vodafone Expand but I could only find a support page for it - Vodafone Support - Vodafone Expand troubleshooting= so might need to talk to Vodafone

Quote Originally Posted by dracomjb View Post
    Telstra have an authorised booster for providing mobile signal in homes that are in a black spot - Telstra Business ? Mobile Smart Antenna this is potentially better than the Optus solution because you're not using your internet bandwidth to push voice down, but either will be a reasonable solution for you. Vodafone appear to have something called Vodafone Expand but I could only find a support page for it - Vodafone Support - Vodafone Expand troubleshooting= so might need to talk to Vodafone
    So... does one need a Telstra Next G mobile device to use this?
    Can I stick with my Nokia? Can I continue using Vodafone?
    [Joan of Arc -
    1431]

You would need a Telstra service to use it I would expect.

IIRC you need to be a Telstra customer to use this. And they weren't cheap when I was enquiring about them a year ago