Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default iPhone 5 owners, who's buying iPhone 5S?

I was just wondering how many of you iPhone 5 owners are planning to upgrade to the iPhone 5S and why?

I myself am an iPhone 5 owner and have always upgraded to the new iPhone every year since the introduction of the iPhone 3G back in 2008. I always sell the pervious years model at a good price in order to keep the upgrade cost to a minimum (I always buy outright).

I was planning to upgrade to the iPhone 5S this year as usual, but now I'm not so sure. The biggest issue for me is the $130 price hike on the 64GB model over the same size iPhone 5 model from last year. I don't take lots of photos on my iPhone and I don't play any games. The Touch ID sensor is cool but it's a little crippled in it's current form. Using a fingerprint for iTunes & App Store purchases is good but a bit meh for me.

I guess what I'm asking here, is it worth paying $500+ after selling my iPhone 5 to upgrade just so I can save myself 3 seconds unlocking my phone? I'd like to hear from other Mactalkers as to why you're upgrading from iPhone 5 to the 5S. What is the number one factor that's influencing your decision to upgrade? Interested to hear people's thoughts.

Cheers guys.
    iMac 24" 2.8 GHz (2008), Macbook Air (1st Gen), iPhone 3g, iPod Shuffle 2g (Product Red), Apple TV, Airport Express (N).

Successful Trades : grfxninja, Boddiz, Phaze, iMarty, f1_Power, Jimdrum, Clockwork, iSlayer, Brentnal, Atomic, Danno74,
    Darbgod, Loc04t, Swoffam & Itsanobscured

I'm in the same boat having the same internal debate. Every other year it wasn't so much a question, I must have it! This year, I'm very meh. But it's new and shiny... but meh... but it's faster... but meh.. but it has a better camera... that would be nice, but I take FA photo's.
    I'm actually thinking of an iPad mini or iPad 4 Retina instead for something to play games on a larger screen (I find myself pinching the Wife/kids iPads). But then they are due a refresh and I would like to wait until after that.

When I stop and think hard about it, the real bottom line is probably more one of cash, I'm not so flush at the moment as we are in the middle of renovations which makes me hesitate more, I think if I had a spare pile of money I wouldn't even be thinking about it.
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

I'm upgrading. Essentially for the Touch ID - even if it's only 3 seconds each time, it adds up for me.
    Quad Core Mac Mini Server, 15' rMBP, 12' MacBook, Thunderbolt Display, iPad Pro/4/2/Mini, iPhone 6S/6S+, AppleWatch 38/42mm, iPod Touch/Nano, ATV 4, AirPort Extreme, Promise Pegasus R4
    36 Trades

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    I'm in the same boat having the same internal debate. Every other year it wasn't so much a question, I must have it! This year, I'm very meh. But it's new and shiny... but meh... but it's faster... but meh.. but it has a better camera... that would be nice, but I take FA photo's.
    I'm actually thinking of an iPad mini or iPad 4 Retina instead for something to play games on a larger screen (I find myself pinching the Wife/kids iPads). But then they are due a refresh and I would like to wait until after that.

When I stop and think hard about it, the real bottom line is probably more one of cash, I'm not so flush at the moment as we are in the middle of renovations which makes me hesitate more, I think if I had a spare pile of money I wouldn't even be thinking about it.
    Hawk I totally see where you're coming from. I have the cash to upgrade. Over the past 4 years or so my family know to give me cash for my birthday which is in May. My family know that the only thing I want to buy with birthday cash is the new iPhone. So as you can imagine I've had the idea of getting the new iPhone since May. Now my doubts has thrown a spanner in the works haha.

I'm also thinking I could buy something else with my birthday cash. Damn being a Apple nut, I always get caught up in the hype. Right now I'm 60% no to new iPhone and 40% yes. Adding to my dilemma is the fact that I had my iPhone 5 replaced by Apple in July because my old one had a dodgy battery, and it looks new. iOS 7 also makes it feel like a whole new device already. Oh dear oh dear such a first world problem.
    iMac 24" 2.8 GHz (2008), Macbook Air (1st Gen), iPhone 3g, iPod Shuffle 2g (Product Red), Apple TV, Airport Express (N).

Successful Trades : grfxninja, Boddiz, Phaze, iMarty, f1_Power, Jimdrum, Clockwork, iSlayer, Brentnal, Atomic, Danno74,
    Darbgod, Loc04t, Swoffam & Itsanobscured

Yep, will be updating the Wife's 4S to a 5c/s depending on which one she likes the look of on the day... but that sounds about right for me to 60/40 :P
    Drive a VW?

i was debating upgrading and giving my wife my iphone5. Decided not to because like The_Hawk, in the end, meh....
    Just bought a used iphone5 for my wife from a mac talker so shell be happy.
    Buying a new imac next week so ill spend more on that
    27" iMac, 64gb iPad air 2, 64GB iPhone 6, 2 X apple TV, ipod nano, iPod classic

I was going to upgrade, mainly for the faster processor because new iOS versions always seem to be more demanding and this time possibly even more so...

But I'm struggling to sell a 6 month-old 64 Gb iPhone 5 in perfect condition for $700 and so $500 just for a speed increase seems a bit extravagant and I'll probably end up just keeping it.

Sure if I was rolling in cash I'd upgrade, but unfortunately that's not the case.

At least I'll try out iOS 7 and if it works well then there won't be too much need to upgrade. Speaking of which, where is that iOS update? I thought it was supposed to have dropped by now!
    Last edited by simonm; 18th September 2013 at 05:17 PM.

Two options for me; if I can sell my iPhone 5 32gb for $600 to $700 then I will definitely purchase iPhone 5s
    If however I can't sell it then I will test the iOS7 for about 6 to 12 months and save up for the next incarnation of iPhone

Marcin

Im upgrading mainly because Im just over black iPhones ( every iPhone I have owned has been black ) and I feel like a change. Its an expensive change but already having sold my 5 to a fellow mactalker once I have the 5s, the hit wont be so bad. Definitely love the slo-mo option on the 5s camera as well as the touch ID

My iPhone is my primary (in fact, only) camera so almost for that alone I have upgraded every year since the 4. The jump from 4 to 4S was rather large, the 5 was a relatively small improvement but this update seems a little more substantial. I'm willing to accept that the price rise is at least in part due to the exchange rate being worse than this time last year (the prices are the same in the US and are also slightly higher in the UK) so it doesn't bother me too much.
    Trades: nez, step_andy, montfort, mikinoz, decryption, malfunction99, amstrad_mac, ZirconiumZephyr, Trabb, natakim, thatfilthyspringbok, skip73, SoVeReIgN, akshunhiro, jeremy warnock, alastair, NathR32, krasivy, everunman, areal, takamine

Quad Core Mac Mini Server, 15' rMBP, 12' MacBook, Thunderbolt Display, iPad Pro/4/2/Mini, iPhone 6S/6S+, AppleWatch 38/42mm, iPod Touch/Nano, ATV 4, AirPort Extreme, Promise Pegasus R4
    36 Trades

I will be getting an iPhone 5s. No plan on selling my iPhone 5.

I love iPhoneography so I'm upgrading for the improved camera. The touch ID will be a major timesaver for me too because I have sensitive info on my phone and typing a password to unlock takes time.

Damn it, the more I read about how fast it is and how well the fingerprint scanner works the more I want to buy the damn thing!

I don't have a PIN turned on since my phone is pretty much on my person while at work and at home I don't care. That and I hate entering the damn thing. The idea of instant WITH security is appealing. The idea of entering a password with a fingerprint is also cool.

...and it's new and shiny...
    Drive a VW?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    Damn it, the more I read about how fast it is and how well the fingerprint scanner works the more I want to buy the damn thing!

I don't have a PIN turned on since my phone is pretty much on my person while at work and at home I don't care. That and I hate entering the damn thing. The idea of instant WITH security is appealing. The idea of entering a password with a fingerprint is also cool.

...and it's new and shiny...
    Sounds like you're folding Hawk? I'm still undecided. I need to stop reading all the reviews.

I'm upgrading mainly because Telstra have made the upgrade path super easy, and I'll actually be out on top. I am 12 months through my 24 month contract, Telstra will waive the remaining contract fee (about $700), and only make me pay the MRO plus $50. The MRO for me is about $300, and when I sell my 64gb 5 I should be out on top by about $350 :-)

I was and I wasn't....but I think I will just because I love everything Apple. Besides, my 5 is 32g and is chockas so I need more room. Will go outright and still use my $39pm plan with Telstra.
    test for sig

Folding quicker that street dealers three card monte table as the police drive by...

That and my pay from a job a few weeks back just came through which makes things hurt much less
    Drive a VW?

You're dusted hawk admit it :-) see you at the apple store

Quote Originally Posted by TJA77 View Post
    You're dusted hawk admit it :-) see you at the apple store
    What time will you be there?

Assuming I decide to go ahead, I'm wondering what time it's worth getting in there (or just ordering the damn thing online like I did last year, although you could at least pre-order then).

I'm normally in the city at 8am and am wondering if it's worth getting there much earlier, the last couple of launches they have been not been that busy so I wonder, for the iPad 1 launch I think I was out by 9:30 and I didn't turn up until almost 6am and was around a couple of corners. (i remember at 9am people were saying JB had unit available down the road but by then I was just about at the door anyway).
    Drive a VW?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast