Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Transfering from one iTunes to another

Hey guys,

Yesterday i picked up a shiny new Macbook Pro Retina which begins the tedious task of transferring all the things i want from my iMac onto the new machine.

Something i really want is my iTunes library, but for the life of me i can not figure out how to transfer it across.

On the old itunes i had on my 8 year old macbook Pro was easy, you went onto the shared library and then down the bottom i had the option to show what was not in my library on the current machine and then could transfer it all across but this doesn't seem so simple anymore. I can view the shared library but can only play it, not bring it across. I have authorised my new machine and all my itunes purchases have come across but that doesnt help the 7000 other songs that are not from iTunes.

Any help with what to do here?

Also, just while we're on it. I tried to transfer across my microsoft word etc which i normally access my iMac through the machine i want to put it on and simply drag and drop it into the Applications folder but now all the applications are coming up saying that there was a problem installing and that i should reinstall, trouble is i can't find the disks for most of them anymore.. Any suggestions here also?? Or where should i post this one?

Thanks, Josh.

Just copy the iTunes folder, inside your Music folder to the new machine.

I can't help you with Microsoft office. You'd better start looking for the disc.

You didn't consider using Migration Assistant by any chance?

I didn't because i didn't want to bring across everything from my iMac, but if it gives you a choice about what you carry over then perhaps i should do it now while the macbook is relatively fresh still?