Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Prepaid iPhone 5 SIM in Germany?

I've asked around but apparently they can only sell one on contract! The only other solution would be to cut down a micro SIM, which I don't trust myself trying to do.

I'm here for two weeks so I REALLY want mobile internet on my phone. Any suggestions? Kind of desperate...

I am using AldiTalk in Berlin: it is very cheap to get. It cost €12.99 for the "starter back" which €10 of credit. I then signed up (using that credit) for the talk300 pack which gives unlimited calls between aldi talk phones, 300 minutes of normal calls, 300 texts and 300MB of data a month.

The SIM only comes as a micro sim, but it took me 20 seconds with a pair of kitchen scissors. Not hard to do! There are more video tutorials online for how to cut down the SIM than there are videos of cats on youtube.
    1.0Ghz 15" TiBook, MBP 13" 2.4/4/256, MBA 13" 2013 1.7/8/128 SSD, 1st Gen 5GB iPod (mint condition), 2nd Gen 10GB iPod, iPod video, nano and shuffle, iPhone 3GS 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB

Haha OK, thanks for the info Ozi. I too am in Berlin so I might try to find an Aldi but not before I visit the new Apple shop, which is only a block away from where I'm staying. I'll see if I can buy one from them and ask them to cut it down to size for me. I'd watch the videos but I'd probably get stuck watching cat videos instead...

Quote Originally Posted by simonm View Post
    Haha OK, thanks for the info Ozi. I too am in Berlin so I might try to find an Aldi but not before I visit the new Apple shop, which is only a block away from where I'm staying. I'll see if I can buy one from them and ask them to cut it down to size for me. I'd watch the videos but I'd probably get stuck watching cat videos instead...
    You wouldn't be at the Art Hotel by chance?

When I was in Berlin last year I just went to an O2 shop and bought a prepaid nano sim without any dramas.
    Try and Byte - Distributor of Apple 3rd Party Accessories and more

Blog (coming back soon) | Twitter

I too am in Berlin...
    If you get really stuck I can cut one down for you, if you can get to Prenzlauer Berg. Enjoy the city - Berlin's amazing.
    1.0Ghz 15" TiBook, MBP 13" 2.4/4/256, MBA 13" 2013 1.7/8/128 SSD, 1st Gen 5GB iPod (mint condition), 2nd Gen 10GB iPod, iPod video, nano and shuffle, iPhone 3GS 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB

Thanks Ozi!

I had success at Vodafone and got a pre-paid nano SIM. It was a bit pricey at €40 and I have no idea how much data it comes with (I tried to ask but the guy didn't seem to understand me) but it's worth it to get mobile and not have to worry about cutting anything down. Hopefully it's got enough data to last me the two weeks.

The guy at the Apple shop said they don't sell pre-paid nano SIMs for the iPhone 5 but suggested I try Vodafone as I had already tried Telekom Deutchland and O2 at the Saturn shop (it's like a Harvey Norman) without success. It seems strange that in a country like Germany so few carriers offered or were prepared to sell a prepaid nano to tourists but Vodafone were quite willing to take my money no questions asked!

What's funny is that when I mentioned cutting down a micro SIM to the Apple guy he predictably said they won't do it but then went on about how it can't be done and it'll void the warranty if not destroy your phone because of electrical stuff! I guess Apple staff are the same the world over, they have to push the company line even if it's closer to false than true!

I'm loving Berlin! It is an amazing city and the weather has been perfect. No I'm at the Steigenberger which is between Kurfüstendamm and Augsburger Straße U-stations. It's good for my first visit but next time I'd stay somewhere in the former East Berlin as it's cooler and less touristy than here. Now I need to find that awesome café I was at yesterday...very good coffee. The name ended in ...mann.

There is a hotel in Berlin which looks and operates just like in the days of communism, not sure what the name is.

Does it come with a simulated raid by the Stasi in the middle of the night? :P

Does it come with a simulated raid by the Stasi in the middle of the night? :P
    You so close to the Zoo so make sure you do the Original Berlin Walking Tour (and do the 3rd Reich tour). Best 8 euro investment!

If you cant be bothered walking Bus 100/101 will take you to the zoo stop from k'dum.

Berlin is an amazing city to walk and explore

That's what I'm finding! It's a very flat city (even more so than Melbourne) and you can hire bikes from practically every street corner.

I found that cafe... Luigi Zuckermann on Nürnberger Straße. Great coffee and food and really cheap too.

Nice... pleased you are enjoying it. It's like Melbourne, but.... cooler? :P And obviously heaps better than Sydney. There are €3 Kebabs everywhere and you can buy 24 x good german beers in a take-home crate for €10 and then get another 2 € back when you return the empties. Hard to beat that really. If you are still here on Sunday, you've gotta do the Mauer Park and Karaoke. Kinda an ex-pat tradition. I'm pleased you sorted out the SIM issue. 40 € is a lot, but if it works and is easy, who cares. Eat out a few times here and you will be end up back ahead of what you would have paid in Oz anyways.

I'm back in Melbourne now but I had a great time and thanks for the help Ozi!

Yeah food and drink is so cheap in Berlin, and I think rent is cheaper than Melbourne and certainly Sydney too. I had one of the best meals of my life for €10 ($15). If they'd charged $50 here I wouldn't have been disappointed. That and the house wines are generally quite good.

I like that there are little corner shops specifically devoted to beer and cigarettes dotted around the place. The Berliners have their own word for a "traveller" and you see many people walking with a beer and on the trains (even though you're not supposed to). The shops even have bottle openers so you can crack it after you've paid.

I'd definitely go back and recommend it, though next time I might have to find that East German hotel... I'll be going to France next time though.