Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks for the suggestion. Although it decided to power on this afternoon, after being plugged in for almost 24 hours.

It boots with the chime, the "Smiley Mac" symbol, then presents me with a login screen titled 'At Ease' - which seems to be from when it was used for educational purposes.

Is there any way to remove this software/program and return it to a regular version of Mac OS?

Woot! Working Colour Classic for $10! Gawd I'd never have imagined buying one for so little when I saw them unveiled at Apple Centre Darwin 20 years ago...

From memory, you could return to the normal Finder using... the control panel? Though it may be password protected...?

If you google At Ease, you might find a tutorial all about it. I remember finding ways around it when I was in school...

Possibly - boot with Extensions Off (now known as Safe Mode - hold the shift key during startup) - might disable it.

Time to crack out some classic Bungie titles...
    Last edited by cosmichobo; 19th July 2013 at 08:43 PM.
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Question

Hi all,

Since my last post, I have managed to acquire an ADB Mouse II from a fellow MacTalk member. This makes using the Mac much easier, as you would already know.

However, I am in need of some assistance regarding the operating system and the removal/bypass of the 'At Ease' software designed to limit the user's use of the Mac.

I have since tried cosmichobo's method (thank you, by the way):
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    Possibly - boot with Extensions Off (now known as Safe Mode - hold the shift key during startup) - might disable it.
    though this only gets me as far as a message notifying me of 'Extensions off' mode, but I am presented with a dialogue box asking for an administrator's password to continue.

My lengthy web searches have lead me to very few alternatives, such as booting from a floppy/external disk. I have not been able to find a copy of System 7.x on a compatible floppy thus far, even through eBay Australia & International.

What should my next step be? Any suggestions or experience from other vintage Mac users is appreciated.

Regards,
    Lawrence250
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" (Mid-2014) iPhone 6 iPad mini 2

leafnight.wordpress.com | Twitter

Apple does/did have old versions of their OS on their website, though they're very hard to find. The Color Classic handles 7.1 - 7.6...

I'm not sure if this is 7.5.3 full, or just an update... But worth a shot (as all the other links I can find are dead...)

Index of /Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3

(If that link comes up with a "We're sorry" page, just try re-load it... It's strange - one second it works, then it's gone...)

If no use, try this page as at least some kind of springboard:

Classic Mac OS Downloads and Updates

Once you've got the software of course, you need to get it onto the computer... "Easiest" option would be a USB floppy drive... but not sure how common they are now, and if they'll work any more, as floppy drives only live so long at the best of times. I have one such drive buried somewhere... No idea where though I'm afraid, and it's been 3-4 years since I last tested it.

Other than that... Without full access to the computer's operating system, you're really pretty limited...

I'd be very surprised if there's no way around that password... Using an instal disk would of course be the legitimate way, but... Surely someone here used to hack their school computers running At Ease? :}
    Last edited by cosmichobo; 18th August 2013 at 09:38 PM.
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Forget all that - try these:

Disabling At Ease

complete atease hacking

Deleting At Ease on a Macintosh Classic II

Or if/when you get a working system diskette:

If you forget the administrator password

If you forget the At Ease administrator password, follow the
    instructions below instead of those in the manual.

Note: If your startup disk is locked, youll first need to run the
    Unlock program on the At Ease 2.0.3 Utilities disk to unlock the
    startup disk. Consult the At Ease 2.0 for Workgroups Administrators
    Guide for information about the Unlock program.

1. Start up your computer from another startup disk. You can use any
    disk that has system software on it. (See the manual that came with
    your computer for instructions on choosing a startup disk.) If your
    computer came with a floppy disk called Disk Tools, you can use this
    disk.

2. Open the System Folder of your usual startup disk.

3. Open the At Ease Items folder inside your System Folder.

4. Drag the At Ease Preferences file to the Trash.

5. Hold down the Option key while you choose Empty Trash from the
    Special menu.

6. Restart from your usual startup disk.

7. Open the At Ease Setup for Workgroups application. If you are
    using an AppleShare file server as the At Ease disk, your setups may
    not appear until you reset the At Ease disk to this file server.

8. If necessary, reconnect to the file server and use the At Ease Disk
    command to reselect the server. Make sure you use the information on
    the server instead of replacing it with the information on the startup
    disk.

9. Choose Administrator Password from the Options menu.

10. In the middle and lower boxes, type a new password. Then click OK.
    You can type up to 15 characters. As you type, dots () appear in place
    of the text so that anyone nearby will be unable to see what password
    you have typed. Be sure to choose a password that only you would know.

11. If you wish, click inside the lower box and type a clue that will
    help you remember your new password. You can type up to 63 characters.
    The clue will appear each time you are asked to provide the
    administrator password. As with the password itself, be sure to choose
    a clue that only you will recognize.

12. Click OK. In the future you will need to provide the administrator
    password before you can use the At Ease Setup program. You can change
    the password at any timebut only after entering the original password.

13. Choose Security from the Options menu.

14. If you wish, turn on the following options. Then click OK.
    Allow remote administration Lock startup volume

15. Turn At Ease back on by clicking the On button.

16. Choose Quit from the File menu to leave the At Ease for Workgroups
    program.
    Last edited by cosmichobo; 18th August 2013 at 10:07 PM.

Good info!

Ahh AtEase... I'd want to just re-instal the OS personally. BUT I remember it being a pain last time with my Colour Classic, as it was a bit touchy about what it'd boot from and what it wouldn't...

Fairly sure I ended up using an external SCSI CD-ROM and OS 7.6...? That was before my Colour Classic eventually died (logic board caps)...

Though, I do have the original floppies that came with my Colour Classic, some variation of System 7.1 I think...?

And I have a USB floppy drive. Am I allowed to make duplicates of these discs? Don't see why not...?

IMO as Apple offers them for free on their site, I dont see any issue RE copying them...

Thank you for your extremely helpful input.

From what I have gathered from my research, it seems as though having a copy of the OS install disks and/or an external SCSI drive is the only way to truly bypass/remove At Ease. That would make sense, it seems.

As previously noted, I have been searching for original System 7.x install floppies, though they seem to be non-existent/rare or in CD format.

Would the best option be to purchase an external SCSI hard drive, somehow get System 7 onto it and boot the Colour Classic from there?

Again, thank you for all of your input. I apologise if this all seems rather trivial.

I'd be inclined to go for an external SCSI CD-ROM... as that's the end solution. Download the software, put it on a CD, and you're happy.

If you go with the HDD, then you need a way to get the data onto it... which wont be easy these days... (I think!?)

Well, if I'm not breaking any site rules or laws then I'm happy to duplicate my Colour Classic floppy disc set for a nominal fee...?

Only if it will solve your issue and you're happy to re-instal...?

Quote Originally Posted by macman142 View Post
    Well, if I'm not breaking any site rules or laws then I'm happy to duplicate my Colour Classic floppy disc set for a nominal fee...?
    Thank you macman, if this offer is indeed allowable, I will definitely keep it in mind.

I'm assuming that a re-install of the OS will remove the At Ease software and restore the Colour Classic to it's original state.

Yes, it will replace the restricted operating system (and AtEase) and re-instal the factory default system configuration.

Default Macintosh Color Classic - potential first vintage Mac

Quote Originally Posted by macman142 View Post

Only if it will solve your issue and you're happy to re-instal...?
    Hi macman142,

I'm thinking of restoring my Colour Classic's OS now that I have some time to do so.

If it's allowed, does your offer still stand for a copy of Mac OS 7.6.1 on a floppy disk (as said, for a nominal fee)?

Thank you again, to everyone, for all of your help.

The instal floppies I have for my Colour Classic are System 7.1 I believe, I can supply you with duplicates if required.

I don't have a copy of 7.6 on floppies (only CD but then you need an external CD drive, and I *think* a fair bit of fiddling about for it to be bootable, unless an Apple-badged external SCSI CD drive)...?

7.1 on floppies would certainly be the easiest way out.

That would be good thank you. I'll PM you for further discussion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2