Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Looking for the best budgeting app

Like the title says, I'm after something that is easy to use and understand.

Ideally something to budget for week/fortnight in which you can set how much pay you have to work with at the start of each week/fortnight.

For example, you enter $1000, and it tells you how much of that is already allocated due to regular expenses.

I've searched high and low and so far have come up with nothing that quote suits my needs, any help is much appreciated.
    iPhone 5S black 64 gig

Have you considered an online one?
    https://getpocketbook.com/ is pretty good. Connects to most Australian banks.

I'd feel a bit iffy with them having all those details though, do you use it yourself?
    iPhone 5S black 64 gig

I've actually met with the Pocketbook guys - they're lovely people. They have agreements with the banks that they list so you can be sure they've gone through the appropriate channels to get that data and store it. They've also got plans for an app sometime soon.

If you want something a bit light on the personal details side of things, Moneysmart has a basic app that let's you track your spending and to set limits. It's a bit light on the features side of things, but it gets the job done. Lemon Wallet is also a good option- it has OCR so you can snap a shot of your receipt and it automatically picks out the expenditure to add to your budget tracking (but it does let you input a bank account to rack deposits/withdrawals - not sure if it's required or optional, but id can be handy).

Pocketbook doesn't seem to have access to CBA, ANZ, NAB or Westpac.

I've no doubt the banks are blocking such services. I was occasionally using ANZ MoneyManager (based on the Yodlee backend) as an alternative, but I stopped using because it was unreliable and ugly as sin, as well as being unintuitive.

Now the NAB has a built-in service. It looks neat, but has very few useful features. You can't make custom categories, nor can you import any other non-NAB accounts.

Lemon.com did not seem like great value.

Does anyone know if there's something similar for combank?
    iPhone 5S black 64 gig

Also i signed up for that pocket one but didn't give bank details yet but it seems like there might be no point if it won't work with COMMbank
    iPhone 5S black 64 gig

I use Pocketbook with ANZ? And yes, I found the ANZ money manager thing to be a bit crap too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAppleGenius View Post
    Does anyone know if there's something similar for combank?
    Signed up to Pocketbook yesterday and it is working flawlessly with CBA. Fantastic app.

Pocketbook lists Commbank, Westpak, Bankwest, ANZ, NAB, St. George, Bank of SA, Bank of Melbourne, ING and UBank, also 28 degrees cards. And I know that they're always trying to get even more banks on board too.

What do you mean that Lemonwallet isn't great value? It's free ...You can store rewards cards and the like which is somewhat handy, but I just really like the receipt scanning feature (which pocketbook's app will have too to some extent, so ...).

I emailed the pocket people and they said as far as ComBank goes, it doesn't work with "CBA's token login" but that's it. I'm not sure exactly what that is tbh
    iPhone 5S black 64 gig

I tried budgeting, but then I decided I don't wanna!

There are thousands of budgeting apps on the App Store. Having an app could be useful because the idea is that when you're out and about you simply enter what you spend and when so you can track your spending habits.

The problem is that most budget apps are over complicated and messy, with the basic functions cluttered by said over-complications
    iPhone 5S black 64 gig

I've come up with my own idea for a budgeting app, I'm going to find out more about having it developed and just make one myself lol
    iPhone 5S black 64 gig

why not use a spread sheet?
    number has a built in template that's pretty good.
    what sort of features are you looking for, just curiously?

It's not quite what I'd need. Closest app so far is MWB+ but it doesn't record transactions, if you have used that one you will know what I mean.
    iPhone 5S black 64 gig

MyWB+*
    iPhone 5S black 64 gig

so could you point out the features you're looking for?
    i use a spread sheet and am doing fine....
    do you know how to use numbers?

I know how to use it to a point, but it's not enough, not simple enough at least. Well it you have used MyWB+ it js simple and the amount of money you are working with can be changed at any time. It just doesn't let you track your transactions
    iPhone 5S black 64 gig

Quote Originally Posted by TheAppleGenius View Post
    I know how to use it to a point, but it's not enough, not simple enough at least. Well it you have used MyWB+ it js simple and the amount of money you are working with can be changed at any time. It just doesn't let you track your transactions
    Pocketbook does exactly this, and it tracks your transactions.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast