Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default New Telstra mobile pre-paid broadband plans?

My 12-month prepaid broadband for my iPad is due to expire and I was looking for a cheaper alternative to Telstra.
    Optus seem to have good rates on a yearly plan, but a colleague tells me that Telstra will be launching a cheaper 365 day plan of 10GB for much less than their current $180 plan on 1st July.
    Has anyone else heard this? Nothing on the Telstra website yet.

This page has nothing about a 10GB plan, and we're now past July 1. I know people have knocked Kogan, but I have one of their sims in my iPad mini and coverage is equal to my iPhone on a Telstra plan. Kogan uses only the 3G part of Telstra's network, tho in my town I don't get anything better than 3G anyway. Prepaid $10 for 2GB, to use within 30 days, might work for you.
    Trades: nez, step_andy, montfort, mikinoz, decryption, malfunction99, amstrad_mac, ZirconiumZephyr, Trabb, natakim, thatfilthyspringbok, skip73, SoVeReIgN, akshunhiro, jeremy warnock, alastair, NathR32, krasivy, everunman, areal, takamine

It looks like $100 gets you 12gb with a 30 day expiry date.

http://www.telstra.com.au/help/downl...m-for-ipad.pdf

Virgin!!!
    I have 10 or 12 gb on vrgin( can't remember which) with 365 expiry for $99
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

entropy's Avatar entropy is offline It's the heat death of the universe, my friends

. I know people have knocked Kogan, but I have one of their sims in my iPad mini and coverage is equal to my iPhone on a Telstra plan. Kogan uses only the 3G part of Telstra's network, tho in my town I don't get anything better than 3G anyway
    yeah, not so equal if you do any travelling in rural areas, particularly northern Australia. And in the city Once you've tried LTE it is hard to go back.
    27 inch imac i7 3.4Ghz 2011 12,2 OSX 10.8

and there are so many restrictions on Kogan, you may as well not bother, really. max of 400mb a day, and if you go over more than 3 days in a 30 day period you get disconnected? Thats what ppl are saying. certainly the stated restrictions have put me off going to them

Quote Originally Posted by JNRidgway15 View Post
    It looks like $100 gets you 12gb with a 30 day expiry date.

http://www.telstra.com.au/help/downl...m-for-ipad.pdf
    Pretty revolting, isnt it.

I buy cheap telstra sims with xGB on board (when DSE etc have them on special, eg $10 for a $30 SIM) use them for a month then dont bother again until the next time I need to go mobile. It works out cheaper than paying for the entire 365 days. I only need it once or twice a year, the rest of time if push comes to shove, the phone will do as a hotspot

Kogan have just upped their prices by 50% now $14.99 per month for 2GB. I've cancelled my auto update anyone any ideas on a replacement prepaid plan only use approx less than 1.5GB per month, looked at Virgin but the signal quality was crap where i am.
    27" iMac | iPad Air 2 128GB | ATV | iPhone5S 64GB | AirPort Extreme | iPod Classic | Apple Watch ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mullo View Post
    Kogan have just upped their prices by 50% now $14.99 per month for 2GB. I've cancelled my auto update anyone any ideas on a replacement prepaid plan only use approx less than 1.5GB per month, looked at Virgin but the signal quality was crap where i am.
    There's always Aldimobile but since they are also buying from ispOne like Kogan, chances are their prices will also go up. Thats the cost of buying from a reseller of a reseller. Maybe Thinkmobile.com.au? Or Boost?