Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default How to copy iTunes movie to usb stick so we can watch on normal TV?

Hi

We just downloaded an episode of one of our favourite series from iTunes but we don't have appleTV.
    I am trying to work out how to transfer the file to a usb stick so that we can plug it into the 'thingamabob' which allows us to watch movies on our TV.

We are 'on the verge' of no TV land and until it's all sorted, we don't want to buy any new equipment until we know what will actually work for us.

TIA
    Bea
    ~b~
    iMac 24" 2.33GHz l Alu iMac 24" 3.06GHZ l TC 1TB l Classic iPOD l iPOD NANO l Alu MBP 15.4/2.4GHz/4GB /320GB/iPhone 3GS 32GB l iPhone 4S 64GB l iPad 62GB/3G

Default How to copy iTunes movie to usb stick so we can watch on normal TV?

Quite a few conflicting parts of your statements that I suspect you'll have a hard time with what you're trying to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by DagrtheSnide View Post
    Quite a few conflicting parts of your statements that I suspect you'll have a hard time with what you're trying to achieve.
    Not sure what is conflicting?
    We have a LCD(?) TV but our tv connection is VERY iffy and even with a digital set top box(?) our TV reception often 'feezes' and we get the message "no digital reception" message.
    We have another set top box which doesn't have as good reception (more drop outs/freezes) but it has a usb reader which allows me to watch my video downloads on the tv.
    We have never downloaded fromiTunes so this was a first for us but now we can't watch it on th tv as we do not have appletv.

We have made enquiries on what is the best set up for us to move on to with our tv reception but we are not getting any straight answers and suspect that until the whole analog system is shut down they won't know what we can do.
    The strangest and most frustrating bit for us is that in the townships nearby, they are subsidised by the government scheme but we are on a remote rural property and they say we are not entitled to the subsidy.
    There is apparently no guarantee that if we set up the alternative satellite service that it will be any better now or later when everything goes digital so for the moment we have to use massive workarounds to watch 'unfrozen' tv........
    Sorry if my lingo/technical info is not clear or I am using the wrong words, I am just the user who does not control the remote or tv setup.
    So from what you say - it looks like we will just have to watch this single download on the iMac instead of from the TV.
    ~b~
    iMac 24" 2.33GHz l Alu iMac 24" 3.06GHZ l TC 1TB l Classic iPOD l iPOD NANO l Alu MBP 15.4/2.4GHz/4GB /320GB/iPhone 3GS 32GB l iPhone 4S 64GB l iPad 62GB/3G

Out of the box, so to speak, you won't be able to play an iTunes purchased movie / TV episode on your TV via USB because iTunes content is DRMd. Apparently, there is software that can strip out the DRM, after which you should be able to copy the file to a USB and watch away. I haven't used this software, however, so don't know how reliable it's claims are. (And, incidentally, the software is about half the price of an AppleTV, though there is a free trial period.)

Video Converter Ultimate

I'd be interested to hear back from you if you give the trial period a go.
    twitter :|: mwot MT profile :|: mwot

Another option to strip the DRM from the file is requiem - providing you are not using iTunes 11. Unfortunately this application is no longer being updated.

Why not use an appropriate cable from your iMac to the TV?

There's a whole thread all about that - basically substitute iMac for Macbook

How do I connect my new Macbook to my TV?

entropy's Avatar entropy is offline It's the heat death of the universe, my friends

Why not just buy an apple tv? its cheap at $109, hardly uses any power at all, and is just like a video store accessible from the couch. seriously, I have only had one for three months but it is great. I assume you have a HDMI port on the TV? Although I suspect your download speeds might be an issue if you are a long way from the exchange.

I have always stripped the DRM using requiem, but I haven't used it for a while and heard it doesn't work with the latest version of the DRM. It's free though.

Regarding your reception, it clearly isn't strong as the set top box doesn't have enough signal to give you a reliable picture. One of the downsides of digital is that it you either get a clear picture or you don't have a picture at all. Cheap set top boxes don't do as well as a higher end one. Do you have a rooftop aerial or one on a tower? Also, consider putting a current through the aerial cable to boost the power. You can get a $30 booster unit from dick smith that plugs into a power point and you plug the cable into it, then another to the TV. Although if it is a real issue I would get an electrician and hardwire a full size booster into the house. I think they are about $100 plus install.
    27 inch imac i7 3.4Ghz 2011 12,2 OSX 10.8

Generally speaking, there is no right for you to copy iTunes movies to USB stick and watch on normal TV. All iTunes movies are in M4V which DRM protected, making it impossible to be played on non-Apple devices. If you really want to watch these videos on normal TV, Windows media player, Android phone, etc. iTunes M4V Converter for Mac maybe a good choice for you. It is designed for all iTunes users to remove DRM from iTunes and convert videos from M4V to MP4, MPG, MOV, FLV, AVI, MP3, M4V, etc with lossless quality. CLICK HERE to learn its detail functions.