I'm trying to make a new MacBook Pro work with an e3131 USB dongle because a pocket wifi won't maintain connectivity with the new OSX 10.8 or older 10.5.8 laptop. The e3131 dongle works beautifully with the older 10.5.8 LT, maintaining connectivity until I disconnect it. It won't work at all with the new OSX 10.8 which doesn't acknowledge it. (This has been discussed extensively, it's not just me).

I found this workaround on the Apple forum:

'Mobile Partner' app comes built-in with the Huawei E3131 modem. It is a recommend app by Huawei and it has functionalities like connect/disconnect connection, balance check, make calls, text messages, settings, etc.

You do need to configure anything in network settings.

- Connect modem with MacBook Pro using USB 2.0 hub
- Modem's status light will start blinking in a pattern (Light color can be green (2G) or blue(3G))
- Wait for modem auto detection
- If 'Mobile Partner' app is not installed yet then it will show an installer. The installation process will install the required drivers and configure the Mobile Partner' app as per your inserted SIM in modem.
- If 'Mobile Partner' app is already installed then it will open the app and show the telecom company name as per your inserted SIM in modem.
- Now you are ready to go.

I tried the above workaround and it won't work for me. I'm assuming the powered hub (Laser N 1968) is connected to the laptop with a USB cable (Hi Speed Certified). The USB cable has a Standard A plug at each end. I plugged one end into the hub, the other into the laptop's USB port. The USB modem was plugged into the hub using its USB cable. Neither laptop recognized the modem using this method.

I can't find any information on-line about the Laser N1968 Hub. I bought it about 2-3 years ago to connect a keyboard and mouse and printers to a G4. It works with those components.

1. Can anyone confirm if the Laser N 1968 is a USB 2 hub, please?
2. Would the double-ended USB cable be the right way to connect the hub to the Laptop?
3. If it is the right type of cable but it's faulty, how can I test it? I have had it for some time but can't remember how it was originally
used but would have tossed it if it had malfunctioned.

I'd sincerely appreciate help with this.

I don't want to make the great expedition to a computer outlet to buy a different USB cable if I have the right type already and it's not broken.