Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Logic Board Repair - yes or no?

Hi there

This afternoon my 2008 MBP just went blank. The missus brought it in to me saying "it's dead" so I've just gone through the "normal" checklist of stuff to do before coming to the conclusion that the Logic Board (or some part of it) has died.

The question is this. Replacement is obviously out of the question due to cost but, C1Computers in Melbourne are offering a repair service. You can read about it here

Is this likely to be any good, worthwhile or should I just accept that the MBP has gone to the big Apple cemetery?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Curtis

MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues <-- Might be relevant.

I suggest contacting Apple and seeing if you can wrangle a replacement

Apple will often service computers outside of their warranty period if you push the fact its a known fault. The issue with the 8600m is a WELL known fault and has been serviced many times. I suggest you go to your nearest Apple store in whichever state your from and tell them its not good enough and that you would like a free repair done due to the fact that this is a significant known fault.
    "It's more fun to be a pirate than to join the navy" -Steve Jobs.
    PPC:Early 2005 Xserve G5 2.3ghz Intel:Early 2011 MacBook Pro 13" 2.3ghz iOS: ATV3, iPhone 4.

$250 minimum sounds expensive for a machine that may only be worth $500 - 600, and unless it's guaranteed it could easily fail again. GPU faults etc. can be repaired, but rarely last the test of time.

As I said, push for a free repair. Other than it's a pre-uni body MacBook, time to invest in an upgrade and there's plenty of Core i5 MacBook Airs and MacBook Pros going for less than $1000 and Core 2 unibody MacBooks going for $500-$600.
    "It's more fun to be a pirate than to join the navy" -Steve Jobs.
    PPC:Early 2005 Xserve G5 2.3ghz Intel:Early 2011 MacBook Pro 13" 2.3ghz iOS: ATV3, iPhone 4.

Hi there

Thanks everyone. I'll give apple a call and see what they say first. I was initially a bit dubious about the link to the apple site page considering the expiration date but I guess it's worth a go.

I originally bought the MBP secondhand but only a year or so ago so it feels wrong to just get rid...considering what I use it for (client presentations and some tethered photographic work which it handles perfectly well) I don't really need anything more.

Thanks again for your help.