Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default IT Training - Acquire Learning/Computer Power Institute ?

G'day,

Can anyone here vouch for Acquire Learning and/or the Computer Power Institute?

I applied for a local (Geelong) IT Traineeship a few weeks ago through Quicktemps.com.au, then today received a call from Acquire Learning inviting me to come in and talk to an "industry professional" about a 3 month VET approved training course, with a 93% chance of a job placement at the end (on a salary of $45-48k, which is certainly a ballpark I'm willing to consider at this point, in this (Vic) job market). Looking at Acquire's website, I see they are partners with Quicktemps...

There was promises of coming out with several certificates, including Comp TIA A+, and tailored towards either software or networks.

Considering I've had about 2 weeks work out of the past 52, taking 3 months to get some solid training and a 9/10 chance of a job sounds pretty enticing, and much better than Seek Learning's pitch, of paying $5-7,000 up front for their training courses, compared to being able to VET FEE-Help the cost...

Are these people any good?

cheers

cosmic

--
    Ahh - they've been operating in Melbourne since the year I was born... History - Computer Power Institute
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

no idea if they help, but damn i remember their ads...

Well, after seeing that, how could I fail to get work!
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Still no one able to say whether this company have actually made a blip on their radar, one way or the other?

Ok, so -

When they mentioned a job after 3 months, it's bollocks... They will consider putting you up for jobs after 3 months - IF they feel you have learned enough of your 12 month Diploma (Software Development or Networking) to be worthy of placement... and after 3 months, you'd only be looking at an income of around $40,000...

They do promise to have real job interviews for you to go to... but of course, can't promise an actual job - however do claim over 90% success.

They also charge $20,000 for the privilege; $500 admin/registration and the rest on VET Fee Help... For which you get access to a computer lab, with a few tutors on hand for 1-1 help as required whilst working through the course work at your own pace. Or you can do it from home (with an UNTESTED Mac version - or on PC), though I'm not sure then how the tutors help you...

Swinburne have the same Diploma for $10,000... (though they want you to have a CertIV or equiv...)

If I didn't already have a degree that got me nowhere, and a HECS debt from it, I'd maybe consider it... but ultimately I don't really think $10,000 is worth self-paced education and a few queued job interviews...

Dude. Get some level one helpdesk position somewhere, at a large organisation, and you'll start on 40k minimum - then get to know everyone, get to know the company, and you'll learn on the job, and get better gigs from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    Dude. Get some level one helpdesk position somewhere, at a large organisation, and you'll start on 40k minimum - then get to know everyone, get to know the company, and you'll learn on the job, and get better gigs from it.
    This is really good advice...

Take my advice with a grain of salt but i suffice to say I am very well connected with the I.T Education industry in Australia and New Zealand so can give you my view on things

CPI (Computer Power Institute) have been around for the last 30 years or so. I remember those tv commercials well when i was a teenager back in the 80's and 90's!

CPI have been known as Computer Power/Spherion and now CPI but fundamentally its the same company with the same learning methodology

The job placement statistics sound about right. And I've had the chance to speak as an industry speaker at a number of their graduation ceremonies which has been fun as it gave me the chance to listen to another speaker who was a recent graduate come in and speak about there job experiences and how it related or didn't relate to what they learnt as CPI

The NZ branches (not sure about Melbourne) have a "glory wall" of photos of graduates and underneath the companies they were hired out too. For NZ thats companies like Gen-I, Lanworks (A M$ Gold Partner), NZ Government etc

CPI include the cost of exams in their fees. They are also part of Homesglen TAFE so you make use of the student services there

I have never heard of Quicktemps.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions

Hey guys. Mactalk noob here, but I just got the same call as the OP, (I'm in Frankston, not Geelong, but same deal, applied for some jobs online, Quicktemp rings a bell, got a phone call, course, 93% success, chat to industry pro next week... etc...)

I was just wondering if you had the talk or enrolled or anything.
    I googled Acquire, and this thread was the only forum based discussion that came up at all.

Yep. I registered on this just to ask if you had any luck or thought it seemed dodgy. Haha.

Cheers

Welcome. (:

I don't think they are dodgy per se, however I ran a mile... for the reasons above. Lot of "extra" money (compared to "normal" edu institutes), for minor benefit...

By comparison, I'm actually now considering a CertIII in Video at OxygenCollege, as its only a few hundred bucks... Yes, it's not Dip level, but its something to hopefully refresh and look more employable in the field...

their training courses, compared to being able to VET FEE-Help the cost...

That's true, but the Cert III will cost $400, or possibly less as I'm currently technically unemployed (on a 3 month temp contract right now, hence - technically)... Versus $20,000 that CPI want to charge for their Diploma courses... And that's double what a "proper" uni would charge...

I cannot vouch for Computer Power Institute, but I did see Acquire Learning as one of the major sponsors at the Cricket a few months back, found some more info on the Melbourne stars website - Melbourne Stars welcomes Acquire Learning and have been hearing this all over the radio for the last 3 weeks for the Reinvent Your Career Event. Acquire Learning have been more in the media and are a bit more of a known brand than Computer Power Institute, although having a quick look through the Acquire Learning website, it doesn't look like they are the actual providers of the courses, just a directory of courses which Computer Power Institute are actually a course provider.

From what I recall reading elsewhere (Whirlpool), Acquire Learning was an attempted rebranding of Computer Power Institute...

I will say this much - since telling them I wasn't interested, I've not heard a word from them.

Seeing this thread was brought up again, how did things end up panning out cosmichobo?
    ** iMac 3.4ghz QCi7, 16GB RAM, 4TB SSHD, 500GB SSD, 6970 2GB **
    ** MacBook Pro. C2D 2.2ghz, 4gb RAM, 480gb SSD, 8600M GT 128mb **
    ** G5 Dual 2ghz, 4gb RAM, 750gb HD, 6800 Ultra DDL 256mb & XServe RAID 7TB**

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    From what I recall reading elsewhere (Whirlpool), Acquire Learning was an attempted rebranding of Computer Power Institute...

I will say this much - since telling them I wasn't interested, I've not heard a word from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog Knight View Post
    Seeing this thread was brought up again, how did things end up panning out cosmichobo?
    this might help.

Quote Originally Posted by lostom View Post
    this might help.
    Serves me right for not reading the whole thread ;-)
    ** iMac 3.4ghz QCi7, 16GB RAM, 4TB SSHD, 500GB SSD, 6970 2GB **
    ** MacBook Pro. C2D 2.2ghz, 4gb RAM, 480gb SSD, 8600M GT 128mb **
    ** G5 Dual 2ghz, 4gb RAM, 750gb HD, 6800 Ultra DDL 256mb & XServe RAID 7TB**

Decided committing to dreams is a pointless activity, and just remained in a soul destroying finance role instead. Working on getting into a non-soul destroying finance role...