Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Worklog: iPad mini install in a 350Z

Hi Guys,

So i've been interested in doing this ever since the iPad came out and I saw the boys at soundmancaraudio in america do this on Youtube.

The normal sized iPad is a bit too big for the 350Z dash though, so I was very happy to see the iPad Mini released.

I'll be installing the iPad where the cubby is supposed to go and will be using a pivoted design to allow it to slide in and out.

Credit goes to my friend who is a lot more handy when it comes to fabrication than I am (he is the one featured in the photos with the sarcasm t-shirt LOL)

I've got a Parrot mki9100 and a nissan bose adapter harness coming from ebay (these will be used to connect the iPad through the stock stereo) I've decided to keep the factory radio so that I will still have AM and FM radio (and a touch screen headunit + ipad just seemed to be overkill)

I will also be installing a reversing mirror with a built in screen (for the reversing camera) and a ClicOn iphone 5 holder

I've also bought a spare dash panel for us to work with so my car isn't in pieces for weeks. Hopefully everything will be removable in the end (i.e. nothing will be glued or fibreglassed directly on the panel)

Well thats enough talking from me

Here are some photos of Day 2 (didn't take any on day 1 as my hands were covered in fibreglass lol)

fibreglass matting

fibreglass resin and hardener

fibreglass filler

fibreglass pan for back of iPad

edge trimmed off to allow iPad to slide in and out

pan being fillered

sanding down the filler

trying to figure out what angle the dash piece sits in the car

flat fibreglass piece being divided up

being cut up with rotary tool

trimming to fit in the curvy dash

test fitting the pieces in the dash

Some other parts I'll be using for the install:

Parrot Mki9100 bluetooth and music system

el cheapo rearview mirror with built in screen for reversing camera display

ClicOn holder for iPhone 5 with clip to hold lightning cable

ClicOn dash mount for Nissan 350Z (no holes required apparently)

Charger for the iPhone

Just waiting on the "Quick Connect QCHBC-NI Nissan Bose BlueTooth Harness" now that is coming from the USA. This adds iso connectors to the stock headunit so I can connect the Parrot mki9100 bluetooth/music module.

and thats it for post 1
    stay tuned for more updates and feel free to post suggestions and comments
    Trades List iPad Mini in Nissan 350Z worklog Monitor Stand Worklog
    27" 2013 iMac, 32GB RAM, 3TB Fusion, 2GB Graphics 27" Cinema Display 27" Thunderbolt Display

Holy hell, subscribed! This looks epic mate any shots of the car as it is now, just for comparative purposes?

Quote Originally Posted by bennyling View Post
    Holy hell, subscribed! This looks epic mate any shots of the car as it is now, just for comparative purposes?
    thanks benny!

not my car but this is a stock one for comparison (just imagine the steering wheel on the right hand side LOL!)

the ipad is going where that compartment above the headunit currently is...

and here's a couple of the outside just for fun

27" 2013 iMac, 32GB RAM, 3TB Fusion, 2GB Graphics 27" Cinema Display 27" Thunderbolt Display

Default Worklog: iPad mini install in a 350Z

Legendary.
    Quad Core Mac Mini Server, 15' rMBP, 12' MacBook, Thunderbolt Display, iPad Pro/4/2/Mini, iPhone 6S/6S+, AppleWatch 38/42mm, iPod Touch/Nano, ATV 4, AirPort Extreme, Promise Pegasus R4
    36 Trades

Wow thats actually really really cool!
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Woah, and in a 350Z, that's gutsy, I couldn't put one in there in fear of damaging the interior.

Looking forward to seeing the progress. Hint: if you haven't already done so, add this to the thread where you can win some stuff from RamCity.

way ahead of you nibbles

Just be aware that the new road rules dont allow you to touch an iPad or similar device (tablet) even if the unit is mounted. It doesnt get the same as if it were a phone

So does that mean you can't touch a headunit to change the radio station or track?

do you have a link with more info about this mark?

Here. "Tablets" are also included under the rta's definition of mobile devices. Seeing as your mounting the ipad in dash I imagine you would probably get away with it. Maybe ring your local highway patrol and ask them about it.

entropy's Avatar entropy is offline It's the heat death of the universe, my friends

Just tell them a different car if you ring the highway patrol though.........
    27 inch imac i7 3.4Ghz 2011 12,2 OSX 10.8

And describe tablet as built in headunit, and touch screen as buttons.

I can't see how you'd have a problem with it, it's in a mount and to the unsuspecting cop it would just be a touchscreen headunit which is apparently legal to use. And really, you aren't going to be texting or searching using the keyboard for a song anyway, If you are you deserve to have no license.

When these laws first came out there was a big article by the RTA ( or what ever they are now called) in the Sunday Herald. That article specifically mentioned iPads as being illegal to use at any time even if mounted. I no longer have that particular newspaper lying around the house. My first thought at that time was that an iPad was no longer legal as a GPS unless stopped, handbrake activated and vehicle out of gear. Definitely not worth carrying around in the car.

Maybe the police will view it as illegal, maybe they will accept it as a mounted head unit, but please give the cops a little more credit than believing that they won't recognise it as an ipad, they're dumb but not stupid. As with any vehicle modification, if the cops have been provoked and want to get nasty then that's what they pick on, legal or not.

For the OP, look I like what you have done and it likes just like a bought one but I would hate to see it all come unstuck if you got pulled over for some other issue. BTW the one point you definitely fail on is that your mount is not commercially available as per the RTA section on mounting the phone.

I guess I was forgetting about the surrounds of it, I was referring to the screen, my bad, now I look like an idiot. My guess is that driving around and not attracting police attention in other ways that they wouldn't have an issue with it or notice from their car like they would with if you were holding it or a mobile phone in your hand.

It may also depend on how well its mounted.If they see its done properly it may be OK.But I wouldn`t go out of my way to find out.

ok guys

have done a couple of more sessions:

trimming off some extra fibreglass

filing down the bog

template for cutting out window for ipad screen

cutting out the window for the ipad screen

another layer of bog

test fitting

adding some more fibreglass layers to make it a bit thicker and stronger

trimming one side of the frame (the ipad is slightly wider than the hole in the dash so it will sit slightly behind one side so it will fit)

test fitting and added cross brace at the top

fibreglassing between cross brace and dash

test fitting

sparks flying! cutting a bolt to use as a hinge

gluing it onto the pan

frame removed from dash panel

that's all for now guys let me know what you think...

Awesome, i've been researching this a lot lately too.
    I assume you've already seen the guys on Soundman selling pre-fabricated parts and other accessories?
    iPad Installation: SoundMan Car Audio
    8-CORE MAC PRO | DELL U3011+U2211 | 64GB iPad Air | 128GB iPhone6+ | 17" MBPro | 13" MB | FreeNAS9 Server

Quote Originally Posted by emerson View Post
    Awesome, i've been researching this a lot lately too.
    I assume you've already seen the guys on Soundman selling pre-fabricated parts and other accessories?
    iPad Installation: SoundMan Car Audio
    yeah I've been following those guys ever since they did it with the first iPad - check out their show on Revision3 - Amplified

unfortunately, they didn't have anything for the iPad mini when I started doing this

I actually ordered a padholdr from them previously for the iPad 2 but it was way too bulky and bounced around like crazy while driving

On a side note - thanks fulltimecasual for awarding me the $600 Ramcity prize for my iPad in car project

Can't wait to see this finished. Will be so epic

Looks like you're travelling pretty well with this! Are you retaining the door on that compartment or not?

I just finished watching the MCM guys putting an iPad 1 into a Subie:
    iPad Dash Install - YouTube

While the concept is the same, they didn't do half the hard yards you are! (I think it was blink luck that everything fit so perfectly in their case).

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast