Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Melb Job Market Question...

$23/hr temp role
    4 month contract
    Preparing reports for futures trading
    Possibly working til 7pm at night ("til the reports balance") (meaning a 10 hr day)
    With a 1-1.5 hr (inc wait time) commute home...

Am I being unrealistic, or is that expecting a lot for a little? The agency knows I have the long commute... certainly didn't mention having to potentially work late every day...

Was being paid $27/hr for a govt glorified data entry role in QLD...

If I'm not home til 8.30pm, then I have 2 hours before I have to be in bed to get up at 6am to get ready to go to work again...
    Last edited by cosmichobo; 12th December 2012 at 08:14 PM.
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Sounds a bit that way.

I know people in my area who have traveled 1.5hrs by train to Sydney and back each day, leaving and arriving at similar times to above. They soon get sick of it and either move to the city or ditch the job, sounds like you might be better off trying to score a job a little closer to home.

hey moto, thanks for the reply.

I've been doing some temp work in Myer's payroll dept in the city, which had the same start time, and a firm end time, so I at least knew I'd be home by 6:50pm, if not earlier. And only paying $1/hr less than this job...

Certainly have been looking at Geelong jobs, but just not a lot that match my skills at the moment. Actually am about to write an application for a local SEO position, as they at least seem open minded to a lack of experience...
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Biallystock Guest

My 18yr old son is doing better than that at the local AquaCentre.

He walks to work, got paid training and gets free use of the pool.

From what I hear, both the Brisbane and Melbourne job markets are pretty much stuffed.

The solution for me, was to move to Sydney. Took me about 9 months, but I hit the jackpot. I now work as a security technician, on a very decent wage. Its about 5km away from where I live - about 10 minutes by car...20 minutes by bus. I work with great people, and get to play with some seriously neat gear...the fact that I get paid for it is even better. It was worth the wait.
    Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two...

LCGuy - bastard! (:

Spoke to my agent... He's going to verify "how often" I'd be expected to stay after 5.30pm... But the fact the have 1hr lunches, I'm thinking it's as regular as has been implied... If my wife wasn't fairly heavily maybe I'd feel differently...

Wrote a pretty out there job ap for the SEO, as the ad itself was pretty out there... Fingers crossed I at least piqued curiosity...

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    L If my wife wasn't fairly heavily maybe I'd feel differently...
    Was that an autocorrect fail, or did you just insult your wife on the public internet?
    Quad Core Mac Mini Server, 15' rMBP, 12' MacBook, Thunderbolt Display, iPad Pro/4/2/Mini, iPhone 6S/6S+, AppleWatch 38/42mm, iPod Touch/Nano, ATV 4, AirPort Extreme, Promise Pegasus R4
    36 Trades

Default Melb Job Market Question...

He left out pregnant.
    Something about Jimby.

Quote Originally Posted by leon View Post
    He left out pregnant.
    Congratulations, that's great news! And best wishes in the job hunt!
    Quad Core Mac Mini Server, 15' rMBP, 12' MacBook, Thunderbolt Display, iPad Pro/4/2/Mini, iPhone 6S/6S+, AppleWatch 38/42mm, iPod Touch/Nano, ATV 4, AirPort Extreme, Promise Pegasus R4
    36 Trades

LCGuy - bastard! (:
    Yeah, I guess I am...but after spending 18 months on Centrelink, fruitlessly looking for something, feeling hopeless, thinking I had the worst luck in the world...it was really about time I finally got something nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin View Post
    Was that an autocorrect fail, or did you just insult your wife on the public internet?
    Bloody iPhone/operator...

Quote Originally Posted by leon View Post
    He left out pregnant.

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin View Post
    Congratulations, that's great news! And best wishes in the job hunt!
    Thanks. Gonna have to look harder for a local job... Thought I'd be ok with the hour+ commute, but certainly not if I'm stuck at work til 6pm...

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Yeah, I guess I am...but after spending 18 months on Centrelink, fruitlessly looking for something, feeling hopeless, thinking I had the worst luck in the world...it was really about time I finally got something nice.
    Ahh, then I can truly empathise, and indeed, congrats. 18 months on Centrelink deserves a medal... Their incompetence is just beyond belief.

Put simply...I don't care if its in a week from now...20 years from now...30, 40 years from now even...if I ever have to set foot in a Centrelink office ever again, it will be too soon. They honestly couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery.

Either way...honestly, all I can say is best of luck. :-/ Before I came to Sydney I was looking for jobs all over Australia...then when I came to Sydney I was looking for jobs all over Sydney...only reason I got the job I have now was because of luck...I simply happened to be in the exact right place at the exact right time.

If you like tinkering with hardware get your A+.

Even entry level jobs in this sector start at $38-40k a year

Pretty much every level 1 & 2 service or support desk have skills shortages in this sector

Thanks Alessiman... Might have to. Turned the job down today... At least the employer was fairly sympathetic when knew I live in Geelong, but not sure if the agency will use me again...

Think I just made a friend... kind of like GE Credit...

Looking into A+, and found Seeklearning offer online training courses... emailed for more info/pricing and got a phone call from them trying to sell me on the CompTIA A+ ($1950), MCITP (Win7 Desktop Support) ($2500) and ITIL V3 (IT Service Management) ($1500) - but wait, pay now and get 50% off...

Think I just made a friend... kind of like GE Credit...

Looking into A+, and found Seeklearning offer online training courses... emailed for more info/pricing and got a phone call from them trying to sell me on the CompTIA A+ ($1950), MCITP (Win7 Desktop Support) ($2500) and ITIL V3 (IT Service Management) ($1500) - but wait, pay now and get 50% off...
    Can't help with the later but A+ can be had for $US95

New A+ 2012 Freestyle Online Learning & Exam Practice | gtslearning

ITIL is good to have with A+ though don't know anyone that offers it cheaper than what you have seen. Maybe post this in a separate thread?

Quote Originally Posted by nibbles View Post
    Sounds a bit that way.

I know people in my area who have traveled 1.5hrs by train to Sydney and back each day, leaving and arriving at similar times to above. They soon get sick of it and either move to the city or ditch the job, sounds like you might be better off trying to score a job a little closer to home.
    I have a long commute... about 1.5 hours each way daily... actually its about 1 hour and 45mins to be more precise... I don't mind it, no way would I live in the city.. much prefer to have my house with a backyard in the suburbs..

I currently have an arrangement where I work 7am - 3:30pm which suits me nicely.. allows me to pickup the kids in the afternoons from care... wife does the drop offs. I get to work and beat the rush of peak hour

EDIT: Use the time on your commute to read certification books. I did that about 1.5 years ago and managed to complete a good number of certifications and have good number of expenses to claim at tax time. Highly recommend them as CV fillers