Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Plex Setup Question - Can it?

I've been using XBMC since day dot but occasionally have some issues so thought it was time to have a look at something else again. Since everyone talks about Plex I thought I would start there.

One of the things that I liked about XBMC was that it simply presented a directory structure then added some smarts to get cover art and extra info automatically. The upshot of this was that if it didn't know that the show or movie was it still listed it correctly. (mind you this now has to be toggled on in the latest version).

In Plex it seems that everything has to be cataloged before you can use it. Now that means I need to clean up some of the naming of my media, but that's not toooooo bad since it's mostly good to start. The problem I have is what do you do with the "stuff" that Plex doesn't know about?

Is it possible to have a "TV Shows" folder and "Movies" folder which I trust it will scan correctly, but then a folder of miscellaneous guff that will just show me a list of files/folders to dig with where I can chuck all those other little bits and bobs that aren't really TV shows and aren't really movies... like random funny videos etc.

The main thing I like about Plex is the way it presents TV Shows, knows what you have watched as well as what is/has screened latest making it very easy to sit down and watch whatever the latest ep of whatever shows you're currently watching. I also love the ability to "Plex It!" and kick web clips into a queue to watch quickly and easily on the big screen without having to remember them.

So can I just view a list of files in it's folder structure?
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

As long as you keep movies and TV separate, plex will do just fine. My tv shows are set to download automatically (via rss) and they all end up in a big folder called "unsorted". Plex categorises them all just fine. The only show it seems to trip up on though is The Daily Show, I have to move it into its own folder for plex to sort it properly.

Once a week I go through and file them away into proper show folders. I'm anal, so I keep all TV in show/season/ folders, but one massive folder per TV show works just as well.

I'm similar, I try to keep the TV Shows organised as I'm the only one who really adds things to it. The movies folder is a different story, I find Plex does a really good job of finding movies even with all the XvidLOLEzOMGDwnLdMe crap you get on the end of movies.

For all the other stuff such as home videos I have a different directory that I just dump everything in and Plex gives me a list of what's in there.

Anyone bought the plex plus ?

I like the idea of syncing tv shows to etch on the plane on the iPhone ?

Sorting isn't an issue, everything is neatly sorted into folders, as I said there are a few naming convention issues that I want to clean up, but that's more about me being anal than because Plex can't work it out.

As it turns out I probably should have just added everything last night and let it crunch it's way through because it looks like it's going to take it's sweet arse time :P

I also note that you can choose to view files "by folder" so as has been suggested if I keep all that guff in a separate folder I can choose to view that stuff differently.
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?