Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    166

    Default

    I've just noticed that on my 2 day old Powerbook Help Viewer sometimes fails to load the appropriate help document and always sits on about 60-70% CPU usage (according to top) even when it does succesfully load a document. I've tried removing the Lexmark help files, removing the help preferences file and a few other things suggested around the place for solving similar help problems to no avail. So has anyone here got an idea of what might bve going on?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    2,699

    Default

    My iBook did the exact same thing for a while but there was an Apple update a while back for the help files, and that fixed it.

    My help would not load at all. Just use 100% CPU.

    Steve
    WTF is Harmonytech? | The iBook Saga. | Successful Trades: Currawong, Byrd, xedos, Decryption, Greenie, Mivory
    sudo chmod 327 /etc/car/subaru

  3. #3

    Default

    It sounds like a helpless situation. *boom boom*

    It will go away as a problem when you stop needing to use the help viewer! otherwise, I can't really help you. Tell the applecentre from whence it was purchased if you are really annoyed by it.
    1.0Ghz 15" TiBook, MBP 13" 2.4/4/256, MBA 13" 2013 1.7/8/128 SSD, 1st Gen 5GB iPod (mint condition), 2nd Gen 10GB iPod, iPod video, nano and shuffle, iPhone 3GS 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,201

    Default

    From my experience, the help viewer is a very 'iffy' app. Whenever it loads on my powerbook my first instinct is to quit (and then force quit) it because it chews up so much cpu. So my solution is: Don't use it unless you *really* have to. Most applications have online documentation. Use that.
    Read my drivel, be dazzled by my Twitter

    Are you some kind of devil trying to keep me from using my time usefully? - Currawong
    "You're an enigma wrapped in a ferreo roche" - fulltimecasual

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sellicks Beach, SA
    Posts
    3,537

    Default

    Is there some reason why the help viewer is/(might be?) more CPU intensive on a powerbook? I tried all sorts of help files on my old G4 desktop and only managed 23% CPU utilization (according to the activity monitor). Finder maxed out the CPU a couple of times while I was doing this, but that only lasted around 10 seconds max

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,050

    Default

    Check Macosxhints.com for suggestions, as there was some or other file that needed deleting - maybe it was the Help viewer cache files...i'm not sure...that would fix the problem.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    287

    Default

    I doubt it's a cache problem... My powerbook's done the same from day one. Bothered me on the first day, but since then I've very rarely used help. That said, it is kind of disgusting that such a simple program installed on basically all os x macs is so poor.

  8. #8

    Default

    My help viewer on the pBook doesnt chew up hardly any CPU! In this attached image, you can see MenuMeters graphing the CPU in the graph top right (just to the right of the battery moniter) and it isnt very busy at all.
    1.0Ghz 15" TiBook, MBP 13" 2.4/4/256, MBA 13" 2013 1.7/8/128 SSD, 1st Gen 5GB iPod (mint condition), 2nd Gen 10GB iPod, iPod video, nano and shuffle, iPhone 3GS 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    166

    Default

    Originally posted by Currawong@Aug 30 2004, 08:34 PM
    Check Macosxhints.com for suggestions, as there was some or other file that needed deleting - maybe it was the Help viewer cache files...i'm not sure...that would fix the problem.
    Excellent, that seems to have fixed it for now.

    For anyone with a similar problem I trashed (after backing up of course) the contents of /Users/<My User>/Caches/com.apple.help.ui/ . Pages seem to be loading properly now and the excessive CPU usage has gone away. The seeemingly irrelevant tip that pointed me in the right direction can be found here.

    The problem was a bit eratic so I&#39;ll report back in a few days if this actually did solve the problem.

    [Edit: Well it&#39;s 5 days later and the problem hasn&#39;t recurred.]

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •