Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
    Steve_D's Avatar Steve_D is offline Hold on.... Let me Google that for you.

Default Just another Vodafail.

Walk into Vodafone Store in Rundle Mall today...

Rep - "can i help you sir?"
    Me - "Yes i was looking at getting an iPhone 5"
    Rep - "We have plenty of stock, do you know what size/colour?"
    Me - "32GB any colour, but if i had to choose i would say black"
    Rep - "Good good, lastly, are you an existing customer?"
    Me - "I need to sign up for a new plan, i'm currently on Pre Paid"
    Rep - "Oh.....i'm sorry but we are not signing up any new customers on the iPhone plans"
    Me - "WFT?"
    Rep - "Yes its company policy, although we can do you a Galaxy S3 right away"

Then they wonder why they have the reputation of being Vodafail.

No LTE, No iPhone 5s for new customers and then refusing to sign up new customers UNLESS they sign up to a Samsung Galaxy S3.

Right there is the real reason why Android has such a strong foothold in the market.

Guess it's just another tick for Telstra (even if they are more expensive, but at least they have coverage).

I'm struggling to understand why they'd refuse to sell a phone to a new customer.
     iMac 2011 21.5" 2.5ghz i5  Macbook 13.3" late 2009  iPhone 5 32gb (Telstra)  iPad 2 16gb 3G+Wifi (Telstra)  iPod 80gb 5G  Apple Tv 2  Airport Express

[Neo, bullet dodge].

Their justification is "otherwise they wouldn't have enough to go around and meet demand"

Probably explains why this morning the Vodafone shop had 5 customers in it but Telstra's two stores both had massive queues.

Best thing I've ever done was get rid of vodafail

People still use Vodafone?

Virgin Mobile are pretty Good.......
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Vodafone Neutral Bay was empty this morning at 9am. No people walking in and no phones going out.
    Optus across the street had a queue of nine.
     iMac revA 233mhz. iBook (clamshell). iPod Photo. MacBookPro. Mac mini. iPad. iPhone 4S 
    "It's better to be a pirate than to join the Navy" - SPJ

It was like that at Broadway too. Big queue at the Telstra store, about four people at Optus, nobody at Vodafone.

Really don't know why you'd go with Vodafone. I was with them for many years and they were fine, then they went seriously downhill. I left because they sucked, but also because they said they weren't going to upgrade the network to LTE. There was no way I was going to get a 4G phone and stay with them.

Vodafone Doncaster was virtually empty late this morning.

From Steve_D's experience, I hope they're empty for a long long time to come. I've had several bad experiences with Telstra but nothing comes close to that.

Sounds like they're trying to satisfy demand to their own customers before selling to the general public. If not though, you may find a different rep provides a different answer or clarifies the existing one a little better. I know Vodafone in Rundle Mall West here in Adelaide tend to be excellent as far as their customer service goes and tend to clarify things when asked (although I am happily on a 24-month Vodafone contract which may be part of it), so I may stop by there and see if this is actually company policy or whether there's a little more to the story if I get the chance.

I called into Allphones in the Myer Center on the way out to see if that was just the one store or all Voda's policy.
    They said the same thing.
    Although they elaborated and said all they are worried about is losing existing customers. I guess when you don't plan on switching on you LTE network until Q1 2013 (selected areas only now) you need to keep your customers happy somehow.

Not selling a phone outright (but locked to Voda) I can understand. But refusing customers just seems like its a bad business choice.

I wonder if the network engineers scared management into avoiding another wave of new customers caused by the new iPhone release with the consequent network overload that would follow?
    iPad Mini 4 128Gb 4G | iPhone 6 64GB | MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz Retina | Mac Mini i5 | Apple TV 3 |

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_D View Post
    ...But refusing customers just seems like its a bad business choice.
    Its complete madness. I'm not with Vodafone, but I recently bought a wifi gadget because I wanted the triband and to use it with the Telstra SIM I have, as well as switching to Virgin if I felt the need, and discovered that right here at home, I have a better signal on Voda than i have on Telstra. So I thought I would make the switch, and get a new iphone on contract (much as I detest the idea) and then... on the website... "upgrade" not new purchase for new customers.

They are crazy!!

I was tempted to go to Vodafail and purchase a new iPhone 5.. after reading these posts.. no way!!

Idiots.

They rang me this week asking me if I wanted to update to an iPhone 5. I flat out told them I was going to Telstra because their network sucked. I'm sure I wasn't the only person to tell them that too.

Now, they have the chance to get a new connection, and they are knocking people back?

That company is doomed.