Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Salvaging A MacBook Pro

I have this MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008) Glossy here. It's a 2.5GHz Core 2 Duo model, with a 512MB nVidia GeForce 8600M GT on board, and it doesn't work. For context on what we're dealing with, here's a photo. It is partially disassembled at the moment, but all other components and screws are bagged and labelled for easy reassembly.

Long story short, this machine doesn't work. You hit the power button, the fans will turn maybe a quarter turn, and then it shuts off. No time to unpark the head of the hard disk drive, no time to calibrate the optical drive. On, then immediately off. The logic board has had its nVidia GeForce 8600M GT heat treated, the contact between the board and the package is good so it's not the video issue that commonly plagues these models.

I could dispose of this machine, but I want to get something out of it if I can. I know many people that would love to have a notebook and this would be a perfect candidate if only it worked.

Plan A: Replace the Logic Board. I've spoken to Apple and they want nothing to do with it, so I'll have to source this logic board the hard way. The best part is that the logic board does not have to work to be usable in this machine, if it suffers the GeForce 8600M GT defect I would be willing to repair it, it's when it's any other issue it becomes difficult. I'm fairly confident that 2.4GHz and 2.6GHz boards of the same vintage would be interchangeable or easily made to work as well, which is a plus.

Not a clue where to find one of these though, and I don't believe eBay is the answer as there's too many variables in what could be wrong with a machine (that is, an awful lot of them are listed with hidden liquid damage). Is it common to find logic boards or parts machines though places like MacTalk or local distribution channels? I had the opportunity to purchase one here a few years ago but unfortunately didn't jump on the opportunity... kicking myself a little now.

Plan B: Sell the parts. Everything except the Logic Board is in fantastic condition (don't let the fact it's sitting on carpet in the photo fool you either, it's soft carpet and the logic board is already toast, so eat me, ESD). It wasn't long ago since this machine had a case replacement, and the rest of the components have been absolutely flawless. Is there any demand for these, if so would it fetch much as a complete unit or in individual parts?

Cheers,

Mic.
    Last edited by iMic; 3rd September 2012 at 12:28 AM.

Default The fate of your macbook?

If by any chance you still have the video board for your macbook I can give it a home,

thanks, Mark

iMac 600, Do you ever sell these MacBooks? I know its rude of me to ask but I have been given the job of sourcing an early intel Macbook to use for a junior youth group......

Thanks
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Unusual that this thread should be bought up again now. This MacBook Pro had a replacement Logic Board from a wrecked donor unit installed only a few hours ago and is now functioning correctly, although it still needs a cleanup.

Oldmacs: I have two boxes full of machines at the moment that need to be rebuilt and repaired. The aim is to eventually sell them once I know what can be assembled and what is only good for scrap. Hopefully I'll have a better idea of this over the course of this week.