Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Help: Processes not showing in activity monitor??

Hi,

Hoping that some body out there on the internet can point me in the right direction with an issue I appear to be having. My CPU is constantly in the mid 50% to 60% range. I've been into Activity Monitor to see what rouge process might be consuming the CPU time since I've got virtually nothing running. When I look in Activity Monitor though I can't see any CPU hog processes. It seems that the processes listed don't add up to the total listed. (See picture below).

The machine is running hotter than normal when it is under little to no stress than before this issue popped up, so it is my guess is that the total percent of CPU being reported as used is correct, and that processes just are not showing up for some reason. I've rebooted the machine on multiple occasions and it has done nothing.

Google has given me nothing. Does anyone have any idea what is going on or seen anything like this before?

Details are: iMac (Intel early 2006), running 10.6.8.

Thanks in advance.

I have no idea what might be happening, but wonder if you might get a different result with top, which is a way of listing processes from the terminal. Just launch Terminal (in your Utilities folder) and type "top" without the quotes then hit return. To end it, type q. To run it so that it sorts by CPU usage, you need to use the following "top -o cpu" without quotes.

You should be able to have top & Activity Monitor running at the same. It would be interesting to see if they vary, though I thought AM was just a GUI for top so it may not enlighten you. Can't think of any other way to list processes though.

Thanks Soulman. I used the terminal commands that you suggested and you were correct in your suggestion that AM is just a GUI. I did a lot more googling and found this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0 Apparently Adobe VersionCue cs3 was the issues with the high CPU usage from "launchd". Deleted the VersionCue CS3 and the system returned to normal immediately. Not sure what made it play up in the first place though??

Dam you Adobe. No wonder Steve wanted you no where near his precious software!!!

hey reset SMC on your Mac, take a look at link below

https://support.apple.com/kb/ht201295?viewlocale=en_US

Quote Originally Posted by cornks View Post
    Hi,

Hoping that some body out there on the internet can point me in the right direction with an issue I appear to be having. My CPU is constantly in the mid 50% to 60% range. I've been into Activity Monitor to see what rouge process might be consuming the CPU time since I've got virtually nothing running. When I look in Activity Monitor though I can't see any CPU hog processes. It seems that the processes listed don't add up to the total listed. (See picture below).

The machine is running hotter than normal when it is under little to no stress than before this issue popped up, so it is my guess is that the total percent of CPU being reported as used is correct, and that processes just are not showing up for some reason. I've rebooted the machine on multiple occasions and it has done nothing.

Google has given me nothing. Does anyone have any idea what is going on or seen anything like this before?

Details are: iMac (Intel early 2006), running 10.6.8.

Thanks in advance.