Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Macbook Pro strange blue tint.

Hi all,

I have a 2011 (early) Macbook Pro.

When I open Photoshop and some other applications I get a hazy, washed out blue tinge on my screen.

This has only started happening recently. I have recently upgraded to Mountain Lion and replaced the HDD with a solid state drive.

Any ideas about what might be causing this would be greatly appreciated.

*** UPDATE: I downloaded and installed gfxCardStatus and I have identified that this issue only occurs when my system switches from integrated graphics to using the Nvidia display chip.

Regards

Catstrat
    Last edited by catstrat; 8th August 2012 at 10:53 AM.

Well, its pretty obviously a problem with you graphics card. Have you tried updating the latest drivers/rolling back to the last stable version? If that doesn't work....don't look to good.

Yeah its definitely a problem with the Nvidia. Apple have suggested I take it to the store and theyll do some hardware testing to see if its a hardware issue.

Quote Originally Posted by catstrat View Post
    Yeah its definitely a problem with the Nvidia. Apple have suggested I take it to the store and theyll do some hardware testing to see if its a hardware issue.
    Well, if the drivers aren't at fault, a dodgy graphics card is the most probable cause.

Quote Originally Posted by catstrat View Post
    Hi Catstrat,

I have the same issue. Did Apple give you any solution? I'm running OSX 10.8.2

Thanks.

This has started happening to me too... any clues? Just started in the last week or so.
    Macintosh SE (OS 7.1); 15" MBP Intel Core i5 2.4ghz (Snow Leopard); too many iGadgets

Curious. Is it across the entire display, or just any app? Does the issue still occur when you've got an external display plugged in?

The blue tint occurs when switching to the NVidia card. Certain applications trigger the switch. For example, changes to blue when opening iPhoto. Goes back to normal when I quit. I did some googling and found a solution - it has worked for me just now. Go to System Preferences --> Energy Saver --> Uncheck the "Automatic graphics switching" box. Restart the computer.

All should be fixed. When I went back into the energy saver preferences, the box was checked again, but the graphics card seems OK. Will test it out more rigorously tomorrow. I am wondering what caused it though....
    Macintosh SE (OS 7.1); 15" MBP Intel Core i5 2.4ghz (Snow Leopard); too many iGadgets

You can use gfxCardStatus to force a certain graphics card to be used, no need to play with the energy saver pref.

What machine is this? 13 or 15? Because I've got a 15" early 2011 MBP as well, and my discrete graphics card is definitely an AMD.

Fix is still working fine. Weird.

At work yesterday I plugged in my Smartboard (interactive whiteboard display) and the blue tint came back when I UN-plugged it at the end of the day. I repeated the above procedure and all is good again. I think the problem must be with the display mirroring somewhere. Does anyone else use a second display?