Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Is anyone else that&#39;s using msn for mac experiencing this problem? <_< (loosing connection all the time)

It has been two months since my switch and this has really been pissing me off&#33; Perhaps I should try another client that also support MSN?

Your thoughts, inputs are appreciated
    Rockin' with - 11" 1.4Ghz 2Gb Ram 64Gb SSD MacBook Air | 17" 2.53Ghz i5 8Gb Ram 200Gb SSD MacBook Pro | 27" 2.66Ghz i5 iMac | AirPort Express | 16GB Black iPhone 5 | 16GB White iPad Mini

I use the Adium client. Mainly for MSN. Love it. Don&#39;t experience any dropouts.

I use proteus

yes it drops out all the time.

Are either of you two using those alternatives over a wireless network? I tried one other msn client but had about the same success rate with dropouts over my wireless setup.
    garethtownsend.info

Melbourne Cocoaheads! - we're cuckoo for cocoa apps!

I have the same problem. MSN Messenger disconnects all the time, and for no apparent reason.

I have only been experiencing this problem since I upgraded to Office 2004. I don&#39;t think the version of Messenger changed at this time, but that was when the problem started. I have looked on Microsoft&#39;s web site and in their Messenger news forum, but have been unable to find any solution.

fire, adium, proteus - just a few msn clients you can use without ads, and better features.
    Read my drivel, be dazzled by my Twitter

Are you some kind of devil trying to keep me from using my time usefully? - Currawong
    "You're an enigma wrapped in a ferreo roche" - fulltimecasual

Originally posted by Quamen@Aug 26 2004, 06:42 AM
    Are either of you two using those alternatives over a wireless network? I tried one other msn client but had about the same success rate with dropouts over my wireless setup.
    I am, for about a week now. No problems with wireless + adium for msn.

Does your wireless base thing support UPnP? To be honest I don&#39;t know what it is, but in setting up my wireless a week ago I did a bit of research and read that msn requires it.

Originally posted by Disko@Aug 26 2004, 07:41 PM
    fire, adium, proteus - just a few msn clients you can use without ads, and better features.
    So whats recommended above the others out of the three?
    troll
    n. A supernatural creature of Scandinavian folklore, variously portrayed as a friendly or mischievous dwarf or as a giant, that lives in caves, in the hills, or under bridges.

Yes indeed my powerbook is connected to the internet via wireless but I can sertainly assure you that (and UPnP) is not the caused of this problem at all. It has been doing the same thing for atleast two weeks straight when I was still on dialup :o (back in the days... )

Ok, so by judging from the others post I&#39;ve came up with a conclusion that it&#39;s Microsoft&#39;s software fault and I guess I&#39;ll have to ditch MSN Messenger and use something else.

So which one out of these three would you guys recommend? Fire, Adium or Proteus?

Is there any that supports the &#39;MSN Profile Pic&#39; feature? It seems like the MS version does not support that either <_< sometimes it could be a pain in the ass identifiying who&#39;s who especially when you have 10x Emma&#39;s on the list :blink: (just using that as an example)

Rockin' with - 11" 1.4Ghz 2Gb Ram 64Gb SSD MacBook Air | 17" 2.53Ghz i5 8Gb Ram 200Gb SSD MacBook Pro | 27" 2.66Ghz i5 iMac | AirPort Express | 16GB Black iPhone 5 | 16GB White iPad Mini

Originally posted by frenchtoast+Aug 26 2004, 10:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (frenchtoast @ Aug 26 2004, 10:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Disko@Aug 26 2004, 07:41 PM
    So whats recommended above the others out of the three? [/b][/quote]
    Proteus isnt free but is far superior

Support Mac software and buy it&#33;

Originally posted by zen@Aug 26 2004, 10:53 PM
    Is there any that supports the &#39;MSN Profile Pic&#39; feature? It seems like the MS version does not support that either <_< sometimes it could be a pain in the ass identifiying who&#39;s who especially when you have 10x Emma&#39;s on the list :blink: (just using that as an example)
    AFAIK, Proteus supports the MSN profiles pictures and so does aMsn.