Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Ľ Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Steve_D's Avatar Steve_D is offline Hold on.... Let me Google that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    Same photo oddly enough.

Very close

Quote Originally Posted by Fitshaced View Post

476C5891 by kevinfl2011, on Flickr

476C5892 by kevinfl2011, on Flickr
    awesome shots, congrats

Spring is here.

Drifting dry's down current lanes.

Thanks very much

I did my first ever paid photography gig on Tuesday night at the Landcare Awards in Sydney Convention Center. I was just taking snaps of the winners. Here is one funny one I got from it. I'm very impressed with the effects that can be applied by using a flash. I was usually a bit intimidated by using a flash but now i think i'll be using one a lot more.

476C6428 by kevinfl2011, on Flickr
    Last edited by Fitshaced; 6th September 2012 at 09:48 PM.

Haha,
    She tried to get past, that expression screams "If I'm quick I'll make it!" Not this time lady.

And well done on the first gig.

Looks like mine is going to be a friends wedding. Talk about shitting bricks. She's been warned, but is OK with it.

Here's one from a walk on the weekend.
    Feet as hands.

Dusky Moorhen by swoffa, on Flickr

Apparently this is a Purple Swamphen, I've been told.
    Last edited by swoffa; 11th September 2012 at 12:58 PM.

Thanks very much

I did my first ever paid photography gig on Tuesday night at the Landcare Awards in Sydney Convention Center. I was just taking snaps of the winners. Here is one funny one I got from it. I'm very impressed with the effects that can be applied by using a flash. I was usually a bit intimidated by using a flash but now i think i'll be using one a lot more.
    Flashes are really not that difficult. Once you understand the concept---which is basically meter and expose for the ambient light and then power the flash to your desired exposure. There are tonnes of ways to do this. And if you understand the concept, you can practice and make some pretty pleasing images.

Quote Originally Posted by swoffa View Post
    And well done on the first gig.
    Yes, well done!

Looks like mine is going to be a friends wedding. Talk about shitting bricks. She's been warned, but is OK with it.
    You'll be fine. I am sure you have your checklist of shots to take, all of the batteries charged and all cards formatted. Just remember, you take good photos so you don't need to worry about that. Just get those shots on the list and keep your eyes out for the other cool shots. You might want to think about wearing comfy shoes. And maybe bring a snack or two.

Let us know how it goes.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Is your first paid gig a wedding or your first gig a wedding? If its the former I reckon you're taking a very big risk, no matter how good your relationship is with the bride. Either way, get something in writing. There are many cases on the web of photographers being sued by friends who were doing them a favour and if you're getting paid for it, friend or not you're potentially opening yourself to a lawsuit which means you need to have insurance coverage to make sure you don't find yourself in trouble.
    http://twitter.com/TheMissionMan / Photo Page
    MacBook Air 13" 2.0GHz i7/8GB/512GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad Mini LTE 64GB, Nikon D700, MB-D10, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x, SB700, SB600, Benro C3580T, Benro GH-1, Benro C48T

Took these today with the X100 of a lilly from our back yard.

[IMG] Stink Flower by mertlee, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Trades with, Huy, PatrickH, tkilik11, chris, Taezar, bennyling, Simo, stewiesno1, MissionMan, cgollner, napes, mechcon, lama323, snagage, ClockWork, Beau, Rasta, Freeze, Petecario, Simmo, Tokevmur, Beaner, thebookfreak58, Boddiz, neg2led, Foxy

Quote Originally Posted by TheKeddi View Post
    Took these today with the X100 of a lilly from our back yard.

[IMG] Stink Flower by mertlee, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Gorgeous!!!

Thanks Sue! :-)
    Trades with, Huy, PatrickH, tkilik11, chris, Taezar, bennyling, Simo, stewiesno1, MissionMan, cgollner, napes, mechcon, lama323, snagage, ClockWork, Beau, Rasta, Freeze, Petecario, Simmo, Tokevmur, Beaner, thebookfreak58, Boddiz, neg2led, Foxy

Default The Vivitar 28 f2 series

Bought the 28 f2 lens used here on eBay for my Pentax K-5, but have recently purchased a 24mm, which is my focal preference.

This series is in part an effort to provide examples to a prospective buyer (no point keeping both lenses). Flowers in a neighbourís front yard. 1/640 f2.8, iso 400. Great bokeh is evident at f2.8.
    Outside of a dog, a book is manís best friend. Inside of a dog, itís too dark to read. Groucho Marx
    Facebook | MLKSHK

Default The Vivitar 28 f2 series #2

Leaves close-up in a neighbourís front yard. 1/640 f2.8, iso 400. More great bokeh! Havenít really tested the 24mm out as much as this lensóhope itís as good Ö
    Outside of a dog, a book is manís best friend. Inside of a dog, itís too dark to read. Groucho Marx
    Facebook | MLKSHK

Default The Vivitar 28 f2 series #4

Unknown shrubbery 1/640 f2.8. Very radial!
    Facebook | MLKSHK

Default The Vivitar 28 f2 series #6

Change of pace with a monochrome conversion; a book pine close-up 1/320 f2.8. I know these as book pines from childhood, but canít find a reference onlineóthey are so-called because the leaves are vertical, and can be spread like a paper bookís pages; itís a conical tree up to 3m tall.
    Facebook | MLKSHK

Default The Vivitar 28 f2 series #8

Strelizia Reginae across the street. 1/5000 f2.
    Facebook | MLKSHK

Default The Vivitar 28 f2 series #9

ďComing throughĒ. 1/640 at f2.8.
    Facebook | MLKSHK

Thumbs up

thats the best photo bomb i've ever seen!!!!

Thanks very much

476C6428 by kevinfl2011, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    Is your first paid gig a wedding or your first gig a wedding? If its the former I reckon you're taking a very big risk, no matter how good your relationship is with the bride. Either way, get something in writing. There are many cases on the web of photographers being sued by friends who were doing them a favour and if you're getting paid for it, friend or not you're potentially opening yourself to a lawsuit which means you need to have insurance coverage to make sure you don't find yourself in trouble.
    Hmmmm. Nice one! That's caused a tightening in areas I didn't think would get any tighter.

What sort of info should we cover in writing? The type of shots we'll cover, that fact I'm not a pro and she understands not all images will be of a professional nature? Am in in the right ballpark.

Anyone have a template? (off to google I go)

Insurance -Is that just for gear or some sort of public liability/indemnity(?). Don't know much about this.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Hmmmm. Nice one! That's caused a tightening in areas I didn't think would get any tighter.

What sort of info should we cover in writing? The type of shots we'll cover, that fact I'm not a pro and she understands not all images will be of a professional nature? Am in in the right ballpark.

Anyone have a template? (off to google I go)

Insurance -Is that just for gear or some sort of public liability/indemnity(?). Don't know much about this.
    The big issue is between what she understands and whats in writing. She may understand you're not a professional but expect pro quality images because she's seen the images you posted have generally been the really good ones you took, not the crap. The contract manages expectations or protects you against her unrealistic expectations.

To put it into perspective, lets say you make a mistake (photos aren't to her expectations) or have equipment failure (focus issues or a random loss of all photos while you are copying them to your drive), the bride is furious and although she knows you were not a professional, she wants someone to blame because people always blame someone else. Suddenly you subject to a lawsuit and she sues you for the cost of the wedding, which is what it will cost her to recreate the event to get new photos. The insurance is there to cover that.

The contract is there to cover expectations. I.e. what is your expected role, how long do you need to be there, is post processing their or your responsibility, do they own the rights to the raw photos, is printing part of the arrangement.

I'd google for some standard contracts to be on the safe side. There should be some available on the web you can modify and use as a base.
    http://twitter.com/TheMissionMan / Photo Page
    MacBook Air 13" 2.0GHz i7/8GB/512GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad Mini LTE 64GB, Nikon D700, MB-D10, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x, SB700, SB600, Benro C3580T, Benro GH-1, Benro C48T

476C6624 by kevinfl2011, on Flickr

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast