Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

I'm no expert but they all look ok to me. Bright colours in most of them. The only ones I could consider "soft" would be the wide landscape shots, but I'm guessing thats due to the time of day the photos were taken.
    Successful trades: TheKeddi, thomaswilliams, supercow55

Of course I'm no expert by a long shot but they look good to me. Someone with a better eye will give you more technical feedback I'm sure. Who's expecting super hi-res images anyway. Some people are just flogs.

I'm a little concerned for that little dog in Santiago, did he get out?

Drifting dry's down current lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by soulman View Post
    I just put up a bunch of pictures here from a trip I did some years ago.

They're freshly processed - I wanted to get my teeth into Lr4 - and I exported them to a SimpleViewer gallery using its new Web module.

I posted a link to a local photography site and one of the guys there is saying they look soft & lacking contrast, which they certainly don't do here.

Can some of you guys check 'em out for me please & tell me if they look like crap or not?
    Before I even look at your pics I will say this.

Take feedback on the photog forums with a grain of salt, and certainly don't take it to heart. Contrast and softness are not what make a photo. A perfectly exposed, sharp as a tack photo can be boring, yet a soft pic with blown highlights can be absolutely amazing.

So certainly take feedback as a guide, and be careful to listen to the right people. Not the ones that always have comment but never post anything up themselves

Thanks for your comments guys! I put a bit of effort into making them look good processing wise and checked them here on a few machines & browsers, but the way it was described it sounded like something was wrong. I was hoping people might be able to verify whether they looked OK or not in terms of whether maybe SimpleViewer might be screwing them up or something. Sounds like they're probably OK though.

@ forno - I know what you mean about photography forums. I find this particular one helps to remind me just how good MTAU is. They have rules, but the owner applies them willy-nilly. His mates get away with nearly anything and people he doesn't like get banned for petty things. He doesn't realise that the reason you have rules is for the people you don't like.

@ swoffa - The little dog was in its yard and just poking its head through the wall to bark at us. It was fine.

I just put up a bunch of pictures here from a trip I did some years ago.

They're freshly processed - I wanted to get my teeth into Lr4 - and I exported them to a SimpleViewer gallery using its new Web module.

I posted a link to a local photography site and one of the guys there is saying they look soft & lacking contrast, which they certainly don't do here.

Can some of you guys check 'em out for me please & tell me if they look like crap or not?
    No crap there. And what right does that individual have to crit anyway... these are your memories, and fantastic ones too, I'll bet. Great shots, fab locations... I'm jealous!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Thanks for your comments guys! I put a bit of effort into making them look good processing wise and checked them here on a few machines & browsers, but the way it was described it sounded like something was wrong. I was hoping people might be able to verify whether they looked OK or not in terms of whether maybe SimpleViewer might be screwing them up or something. Sounds like they're probably OK though.

@ forno - I know what you mean about photography forums. I find this particular one helps to remind me just how good MTAU is. They have rules, but the owner applies them willy-nilly. His mates get away with nearly anything and people he doesn't like get banned for petty things. He doesn't realise that the reason you have rules is for the people you don't like.

@ swoffa - The little dog was in its yard and just poking its head through the wall to bark at us. It was fine.
    Which forum was it?

It also depends on the purpose of the forum. For example, if you put it on Ausphotography and you put it in the CC section, you can expect it to get ripped to shreds, but in a positive way. I.e. people will look for everything wrong with the photo and try to provide the info back to you so you can learn from it rather than just getting a whole lot of "great shots" feedback which does nothing to actually help improve your skills. That said, the type of feedback is normally pretty specific, so they won't just say its crap, they'll suggest ways to improve it. I suggest you use it in future if it wasn't what you used.

On the issue of the photos, most of them looked pretty decent and although there were a couple with blown out highlights, a couple I'd consider changing the crop on but there was definitely no crap in there.
    http://twitter.com/TheMissionMan / Photo Page
    MacBook Air 13" 2.0GHz i7/8GB/512GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad Mini LTE 64GB, Nikon D700, MB-D10, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x, SB700, SB600, Benro C3580T, Benro GH-1, Benro C48T

First post in Random Photography Thread.
    To all above, great work.

Here are some shots of my own

Beautiful weather down at Coogee on the weekend.

Lookout II by skyhawkmatthew, on Flickr

Outcrop by skyhawkmatthew, on Flickr

Lookout by skyhawkmatthew, on Flickr

Boardwalk by skyhawkmatthew, on Flickr

Great time lapse work @fitshaced. I love 'Sydney Sunrise'!

Quote Originally Posted by phillfarrugia View Post
    First post in Random Photography Thread.
    To all above, great work.

Here are some shots of my own

Nice work, Phil, I really like the last.

Bit pressed for time as I had to run off to pick up my youngest from Joey's. Nearly exploded my lungs running up the hill back to the car.

Took a longer exposure of the tunnel after some more recent rainfall.
    Need to get some ND's I think. Trying to time a late afternoon outing with the camera is really hard with work, kid pickups etc.

iso 50
    f/22
    24mm
    10 seconds

River Tunnel by swoffa, on Flickr

Always glad to hear improvement tips.
    Last edited by swoffa; 23rd August 2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: flickr link added

Drifting dry's down current lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by phillfarrugia View Post
    Great time lapse work @fitshaced. I love 'Sydney Sunrise'!
    Cheers

476C5891 by kevinfl2011, on Flickr

476C5892 by kevinfl2011, on Flickr
    Last edited by Fitshaced; 25th August 2012 at 06:55 PM.

What better things did I have to do on a Saturday night then to take pictures of a closed freeway in the rain?

Quote Originally Posted by scottgrot View Post
    What better things did I have to do on a Saturday night then to take pictures of a closed freeway in the rain?
    Good for you... and for a reminder to me that *this* kind of thing is why I have my Pentax K-5 and WR lenses. I keep thinking I'll sell and get a fuji system, but I dont think I would be out in wet weather with that.

Before I ventured out of the car

rain by kyte50, on Flickr

And after

paddle! by kyte50, on Flickr

raceyachts by kyte50, on Flickr

Steve_D's Avatar Steve_D is offline Hold on.... Let me Google that for you.

Nice full moon tonight.

60D 200mm ISO160 f18 1/60

Sunset the other week at our beach close by, love living in the country :-)

[IMG] Moonta Bay Sunset by mertlee, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Trades with, Huy, PatrickH, tkilik11, chris, Taezar, bennyling, Simo, stewiesno1, MissionMan, cgollner, napes, mechcon, lama323, snagage, ClockWork, Beau, Rasta, Freeze, Petecario, Simmo, Tokevmur, Beaner, thebookfreak58, Boddiz, neg2led, Foxy

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_D View Post
    Nice full moon tonight.

60D 200mm ISO160 f18 1/60
    Same photo oddly enough.

http://twitter.com/TheMissionMan / Photo Page
    MacBook Air 13" 2.0GHz i7/8GB/512GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad Mini LTE 64GB, Nikon D700, MB-D10, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x, SB700, SB600, Benro C3580T, Benro GH-1, Benro C48T

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast