Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

It's only a $125 upgrade which makes it very tempting, but when you crunch the numbers it's ~7% increase in price for a ~1.3% increase in performance.

Mind you upgrading from the 2011 spec i5 1.7GHz to the 2012 i7 2.0GHz it's a 33% jump in raw POWA! and that is very tempting.
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

Hey all!

I'm in the same position looking at a 13" air as my main computer. Was set on a MBPr but after some time to think I wont need the extra grunt or hole on my pocket. So went into the store today to decide between the 11" or 13".

Just having trouble deciding whether to get the i7 upgrade, definitely getting the 8gb ram but.

Don't really do any intensive work, basically just internet, chat, music and videos, chopping up videos from a gopro cam (when I get one) and maybe a little image editing (still eyeing out a mirror less aps-c cam). Not too big on PC gaming these days, pretty much never but may briefly play diablo 3, dota 2 and hon time to time.

I'm coming from a desktop I built end of 09. i5 750, 8gb ram, 5850 gfx, 128gb ssd. Don't really play games on it any more so keen to move to a laptop. Will give this to my dad if he wants it or sell it off. Storage wise id like to get a NAS (looking at the Synology DS212+) I have 2x2tb drives in the desktop that I will keep. Use this to stream to PS3 and has a torrent client so can switch off laptop and still download. Will need to get another router as I'm still rocking wireless G speeds -.-', another cost to to keep in mind.

With the NAS I don't think I'll need the 256gb ssd, so my mind is saying the base 13" air with 8gb ram which is only $1399 with edu discount. But just have in the back of my mind if going the i7 upgrade would be better (might miss the speed of my desktop?). Saw someone said the hd 4000 was clocked higher, but doubt I'll game enough.

Sorry for the long dribble, any input would be great, thanks!
     MacBook 4.1 2.4Ghz | Galaxy Nexus | Desktop i5 750, 5850, 8GB ram, 128GB SSD, EVGA P55 Micro, Corsair 650D

I honestly don't think the 2.0ghz upgrade is worth it considering the geekbench scores that are coming out now the machines are out there. Unless you are doing some serious number crunching or encoding hours of HD video or something like that, in which case you are way better off with even an imac or the new MBP.

Meanwhile... my order went to "preparing for shipment" last night, hopefully it ships sometime soon!

I agree, I couldnt justify the extra cost on the CPU upgrade. At the end of the day my late 09 iMac will continue acting as my video encoding machine anyway.

Wish I could say the same for my MBA...still 'Processing Items'..

I just ordered mine at DJ's. They've got $100 off Macs at the moment which they're allowed to apply to Customer Orders. Only downside is it'll take a bit longer than with Apple.

Still sitting on preparing for shipment...

Quote Originally Posted by melbmac View Post
    Still sitting on preparing for shipment...
    Ditto. They're almost certain to go "shipped" overnight I'd imagine. Mines been preparing for almost 24 hours. How long does it take to put it in a box and give it to a courier?

Quote Originally Posted by fompsweeva View Post
    I just ordered mine at DJ's. They've got $100 off Macs at the moment which they're allowed to apply to Customer Orders. Only downside is it'll take a bit longer than with Apple.
    What delivery time did DJ's offer? I'd hope by the end of next week?

still processing.... I only added a ram upgrade. Says its suppose to deliver on the 19th.

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    What delivery time did DJ's offer? I'd hope by the end of next week?
    "20 days."

Although I think they were being safe with that.

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Ditto. They're almost certain to go "shipped" overnight I'd imagine. Mines been preparing for almost 24 hours. How long does it take to put it in a box and give it to a courier?
    Yep, was shipped in the morning when I checked. On track for delivery Monday if all goes well.

Mine left Shanghai yesterday (well, hopefully) and would be in Sydney today. If I'm lucky I might get it tomorrow, but seeing how long my iMac took (and the times and tracking details are virtually identical) sadly It's more likely to be Tuesday.

Will be checking the tracking today, if it shows up in Sydney then tomorrow is hopefully a certainty

Ditto. Mine has an expected delivery date of the 19/06/12. Tracking currently says 'In Transit'.

I find the concept of a 128 Gb capacity hard drive quite frightening. 256 Gb is the bare minimum I'd go for.

My iTunes collection alone is 120 Gb currently and one of the main reasons I'd want a MBA is to have all my music with me wherever I go.

Yes i know there is iTunes Match, but that streams lesser quality than my Apple Lossless and assumes you have access to the internet, which isn't always going to be the case where I take my phone and laptop when travelling.

I'd have to agree on getting the 8 Gb of RAM but paying another $125 for boasting rights with the i7 on this laptop seems fairly pointless. If you REALLY need that extra power, you're likely to be in the market for a MacBook Pro. The Airs are for casual use!

128GB would be my bare minimum I think. I would fit my existing itunes library and a bit of other stuff in comfortably, but with no room for more. Even though the MBA 256GB upgrade was quite expensive, I figured it was worth it, though no way was I going to stretch to 512. Instead I bought this:

Buy Seagate Expansion Portable 1.5TB Hard Drive USB 3.0 | Read Reviews | Dick Smith Online Shopping

Which because it's USB 3.0 will be nice and fast to store big stuff on. I'll use it for Time Machine as well. It's USB powered, though it's a big mother and not your average pocket hard drive!

Late to the thread but my 13" MBA is on its way too

Expected delivery is tomorrow - went with the 8GB of RAM as someone else said is a no-brainer. Didn't upgrade the HDD cause I have a 60GB SSD in my current laptop and is heaps.

Can anyone else expecting BTO from Shanghai post their tracking up til now? Be interested to see if it's much different to mine.

17 Jun 2012 11:17:25 Sydney Shipment Received At Transit Point.
    17 Jun 2012 11:14:10 Sydney Shipment In Transit.
    16 Jun 2012 10:00:37 Pudong International Airport Shipment In Transit.
    15 Jun 2012 21:47:32 Pudong International Airport Shipment Received At Transit Point.
    15 Jun 2012 20:00:00 Shanghai Shipment In Transit.
    15 Jun 2012 19:16:58 Shanghai Shipment In Transit.
    15 Jun 2012 19:07:15 Shanghai Shipment Collected From Sender.
    paris buttfield-addison: co-founder of http://www.secretlab.com.au
    Author of Learning Cocoa with Objective-C Third Edition (O'Reilly, upcoming)
    and iPhone and iPad Game Development For Dummies (Wiley, October 2010)

^That's promising, our times are very similar but I'm not showing anything in Sydney yet. Hopefully later today!

Mine is now showing Sydney. I would still hope it doesn't arrive till Tuesday though.....I got it shipped to my parents house so that someone will be there to sign for it.

17 Jun 2012 11:04:01 Sydney Shipment Received At Transit Point.
    17 Jun 2012 11:01:04 Sydney Shipment In Transit.
    16 Jun 2012 10:00:38 Pudong International Airport Shipment In Transit.
    15 Jun 2012 21:47:32 Pudong International Airport Shipment Received At Transit Point.
    15 Jun 2012 19:16:50 Shanghai Shipment In Transit.
    15 Jun 2012 19:09:20 Shanghai Shipment Collected From Sender.

This is what mine is showing thus far... Guess it'll update with arrival in Sydney tomorrow, delivery to me Tuesday (hopefully).

16 Jun 2012 10:00:35 Pudong International Airport Shipment In Transit.
    15 Jun 2012 19:17:06 Shanghai Shipment In Transit.
    15 Jun 2012 19:03:28 Shanghai Shipment Collected From Sender.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast