Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Does anyone know of any upgrade cards/cpu's for a G4 400mhz AGP server edition?

Thanks,

have you had a look at what powerlogix or giga designs or sonnet even have to offer?
    Just Chillin.

good place to start would also be www.xlr8yourmac.com

cheers

I was looking more for people who have performed an upgrade, to get their thoughts, but will look around for a bit!!

2 words, easy as pie.
    I upgraded my G4 400 to a dual 500 not long ago, mainly because it did cost anything, but it is an easy upgrade, the heatsink comes off like any other, and if i remember correctly, 3 screws hold in the CPU board, and after that its everything in reverse.
    if you can find somthing that will go into it, you should upgrade it, to prolong your usage of it, it helped me keep it as an iTunes server. Worth the 15 mins it takes to do, just watch out for the quicksilver CPU's which require you to cut your ATA controller off (1 of them) so the CPU fits, however the speed of those CPU's is advantageous, so if your using a SATA card like me, or you can get by with 1 ATA controller for all your HDD's and DVD drives, then those CPU'S might be the option for you.
    /rant
    gotta go to bed
    summing up, yeah, if you get a chance, do it, but don't rush if you don't have to
    Lots-a-stuff
    Wikipdeia "There are five fingers on the human hand (citation needed)"

Originally posted by macman_99@Dec 14 2005, 11:43 PM
    2 words, easy as pie.
    I upgraded my G4 400 to a dual 500 not long ago, mainly because it did cost anything, but it is an easy upgrade, the heatsink comes off like any other, and if i remember correctly, 3 screws hold in the CPU board, and after that its everything in reverse.
    if you can find somthing that will go into it, you should upgrade it, to prolong your usage of it, it helped me keep it as an iTunes server. Worth the 15 mins it takes to do, just watch out for the quicksilver CPU's which require you to cut your ATA controller off (1 of them) so the CPU fits, however the speed of those CPU's is advantageous, so if your using a SATA card like me, or you can get by with 1 ATA controller for all your HDD's and DVD drives, then those CPU'S might be the option for you.
    /rant
    gotta go to bed
    summing up, yeah, if you get a chance, do it, but don't rush if you don't have to
    also with the quicksilver CPU, its a lil harder, it requires a voltage boost. and also it will be clocked down to meet the 100mhz bus.
    Just Chillin.

well i WAS going to say that, but.........yeah........you know :P
    really got to go to bed, stop hawking these forums
    Lots-a-stuff

How did the upgrade cost nothing macman_99?

i meant the CPu and heatsink i got off a friend his one died unfortunately, and i put my hand up for it.
    i don't think i mentioned it, but ebay has processors going through there occasionally that will fit your G4, and are not too expensive.
    Lots-a-stuff

The cheapest place to obtain a new G4 upgrade, even when you factor in shipping and possible customs taxes, is OWC.. Sawtooth CPU upgrade link here.

Most Sawtooth G4s do not support dual processors, so I'd go for a 1.2Ghz+ single G4 which would give a hefty speed improvement.

You would also do yourself a favour getting an upgraded graphics card - having a nice speedy CPU will mean nothing when you've still got a 16MB AGP ATI Rage 128 inside Best bang for buck for a Sawtooth would be a Radeon 8500/9000. This could be a genuine Mac edition of the card, of if you're feeling like some modding a PC flashed card will cost 2 - 3 times less.

JB