Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Giving an old iPad to my Mum

I'm intending to give/loan my iPad (first one - 3G) to my elderly Mum. She is not very computer literate at all but does have a PC and uses email. She was enquiring about Kindles and the like and I thought I could give her my iPad, maybe set it up with a $20 a month plan (that is possible, isn't it?)

So my question really is ... I'll get a new iPad soon I guess to replace this one. But should I change the name etc of the current one? Or should/can I keep it (and later another one) in my name so that I can update it for her etc? What are the implcations? Has anyone done anything like this - any suggestions / advice?

So my question really is ... I'll get a new iPad soon I guess to replace this one. But should I change the name etc of the current one? Or should/can I keep it (and later another one) in my name so that I can update it for her etc? What are the implcations? Has anyone done anything like this - any suggestions / advice?
    Are you talking about changing the name of the iPad? If so, why would changing it prevent you from updating it later? Or do you mean keeping the same Apple ID on it so that she has access to any apps you buy and would essentially buy apps using your iTunes account (and money)?

Just keep it all in your name. My 74 year old mum has an iPad and iphone 4 and so do I and they are both on my apple account and it makes it so easy for me to keep track of it all :-)
    Trades with, Huy, PatrickH, tkilik11, chris, Taezar, bennyling, Simo, stewiesno1, MissionMan, cgollner, napes, mechcon, lama323, snagage, ClockWork, Beau, Rasta, Freeze, Petecario, Simmo, Tokevmur, Beaner, thebookfreak58, Boddiz, neg2led, Foxy

Thanks both of you for your responses. I think I have been a bit confused about iCloud ids vs Apple ids, and thought you could have multiple iCloud ids on the one device. It appears not - though I still find it really annoying that some of my apps are bought under the iCloud and others under an earlier MobileME type id and they can't be combined into one!

So it seems I can either set up an iCloud account for her (attached to a gmail account that she'll never use!), or I can leave it there in my name. But - I don't want 'her' iPad to have lots of apps on it - I'm quite sure that would confuse her. Ideally I'd remove most of them and just leave the Kindle and perhaps another ebook reader, maybe the Audible one. Plus Safari etc.

And if I deleted them all off that iPad ... well, presumably they'd still exist in my iTunes and when I get a new iPad I could bring them onto that. But would any updates I did automatically flow onto her/the old iPad too? Is it possible to control what gets updated/uploaded (including via iCloud) onto a second iPad - keeping two of them updated in a different way?!

And another question: My iPad is Mac-based. She only has a PC (running Windows 7). Would it be able to be connected to that I wonder? Or would I have to wipe it and somehow start again ... ? Presumably that might be necessary occasionally?

Thanks for any further help you might be able to give

Quote Originally Posted by susiegb View Post
    Thanks both of you for your responses. I think I have been a bit confused about iCloud ids vs Apple ids, and thought you could have multiple iCloud ids on the one device. It appears not - though I still find it really annoying that some of my apps are bought under the iCloud and others under an earlier MobileME type id and they can't be combined into one!

So it seems I can either set up an iCloud account for her (attached to a gmail account that she'll never use!), or I can leave it there in my name. But - I don't want 'her' iPad to have lots of apps on it - I'm quite sure that would confuse her. Ideally I'd remove most of them and just leave the Kindle and perhaps another ebook reader, maybe the Audible one. Plus Safari etc.

And if I deleted them all off that iPad ... well, presumably they'd still exist in my iTunes and when I get a new iPad I could bring them onto that. But would any updates I did automatically flow onto her/the old iPad too? Is it possible to control what gets updated/uploaded (including via iCloud) onto a second iPad - keeping two of them updated in a different way?!

And another question: My iPad is Mac-based. She only has a PC (running Windows 7). Would it be able to be connected to that I wonder? Or would I have to wipe it and somehow start again ... ? Presumably that might be necessary occasionally?

Thanks for any further help you might be able to give
    Prior to deleting anything off the iPad you intend to give to her, plug it into iTunes and then under one of the menus (I think file) choose 'Transfer purchases', to make sure any music, movies, TV shows, etc., you've bought on your iPad are on your computer. The apps can be re-downloaded for free, you can find them in the "Purchased" tab in iTunes, or on an iDevice.

What I would do is this:

Setup your Apple ID (that you make purchases with) as the account for iTunes and App Store purchases, and then create her own iCloud account for her own calendars, notes, bookmarks, etc. (I don't remember but I'm not sure you can use a gmail account for iCloud, you need to make a new @me one for her I think...)

In Settings > Store, you can turn off automatic downloads for Music and Apps.

I'd recommend testing how it goes with connecting it to her PC -- if you want to sync it with that computer, you'll need to put your iTunes account into her iTunes, and authorize it (max 5 computers) for use.

I use my gmail account for both iTunes and iCloud if that helps.
    Trades with, Huy, PatrickH, tkilik11, chris, Taezar, bennyling, Simo, stewiesno1, MissionMan, cgollner, napes, mechcon, lama323, snagage, ClockWork, Beau, Rasta, Freeze, Petecario, Simmo, Tokevmur, Beaner, thebookfreak58, Boddiz, neg2led, Foxy