Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Nice Apple II - I'd first clean and reseat the socketable chips - ROM, CPU etc

Quote Originally Posted by prak97 View Post
    Graphite iMac G3 400 DV SE ...working ...great machine for $20 :-)
    G3 Desktop ...not working
    Powerbook 5300c....working ( not any more ) it died last week ...currently trying in vain to 'make' a disk tools boot floppy ..can only seem to make one with 1.1Mb capacity ...why life is so unkind?
    SE 30 FDHD ...working

2009 Macbook Pro ( luv it )
    2013 iMac 27 "

3rd Gen iPad
    iPhone 5 64 Gb
    ???
    Last edited by prak97; 18th July 2015 at 05:02 PM.

I have recently acquired a PM 5500 in Black! Pictures soon to come

Anyone acquired anything new (to them) recently?
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Hi Everyone

I've been meaning to post photos of this excellent 68020 accelerator card for the Macintosh SE line.

A researcher of physical sciences used this machine as a daily driver, later retiring it for a Quadra 800.

When I received the machine, it was running a very old version of the Novy extension which wasn't running correctly. A huge effort was made to track down the latest version of the Novy utility for better System 7 compatibility. I succeed and found the installation easy.

The performance boost in general use is noticable, for example scrolling windows is smoother.

The delay in providing photos was the board was too big for me to remove with the Novy fitted. I have since figured out the safe way to remove it.

I believe this card is quite rare. From memory the Novy company must have been bought out by Daystar, as the latest INIT for the card features their logo. The old version didn't.

Novy Mac20 Macintosh SE Accelerator card - Album on Imgur

(reposted from 68KMLA(

Quote Originally Posted by jeremybh1 View Post
    Hi Everyone

I've been meaning to post photos of this excellent 68020 accelerator card for the Macintosh SE line.

A researcher of physical sciences used this machine as a daily driver, later retiring it for a Quadra 800.

When I received the machine, it was running a very old version of the Novy extension which wasn't running correctly. A huge effort was made to track down the latest version of the Novy utility for better System 7 compatibility. I succeed and found the installation easy.

The performance boost in general use is noticable, for example scrolling windows is smoother.

The delay in providing photos was the board was too big for me to remove with the Novy fitted. I have since figured out the safe way to remove it.

I believe this card is quite rare. From memory the Novy company must have been bought out by Daystar, as the latest INIT for the card features their logo. The old version didn't.

Novy Mac20 Macintosh SE Accelerator card - Album on Imgur

(reposted from 68KMLA(

OOO that accelerator card looks very interesting! Thanks for posting!
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Default Post your Vintage Mac Gear!

Got a nice clean LCIII today for $43, can't wait to fire it up!

It should come in handy helping me restore my Mac SE.

Modern: 2013 Mac Mini i7, 8GB Ram, SuperDrive, Numeric Keyboard & Magic Mouse
    Retr0: Macintosh SE, Macintosh LCIII, PowerMac 7220

Quote Originally Posted by djos View Post
    That would work for me too!

Ps I grabbed a Power Mac 7220 for $25 the other day, should be interesting.
    Btw this turned into a bust, even after replacing the battery I can't get video using a Mac to pc adapter, just the startup sound.

Yay my LCIII works great and I've been able to make some system 6 disks and boot up my SE. Unfortunately the HD is dead.

Anyone got a small working Apple scsi drive in say 20 mb or 40 mb they could sell me?

Oh I'm also after 2 local talk adapters and a serial cable too if anyone had some spares?

Got a nice clean LCIII today for $43, can't wait to fire it up!
    I remember the days when you could get these on the roadside for free! They're getting harder to find these beasts...

Yay my LCIII works great and I've been able to make some system 6 disks and boot up my SE. Unfortunately the HD is dead.

Anyone got a small working Apple scsi drive in say 20 mb or 40 mb they could sell me?

Oh I'm also after 2 local talk adapters and a serial cable too if anyone had some spares?
    I'm doing a cleanup over the Christmas break, I'll let you know if I can pull anything out. I have boxes of those LocalTalk adapters (the PhoneNet ones) and serial cables somewhere (where exactly is another question altogether). I might a drive or two but not many that small. I might be able to dig out a 100 mb SCSI drive though.

You might get some use out of this. I've never tried it, but bookmarked it a while back:

In other news, I managed to fish out an almost complete (with stickers!) set of original Apple IIe manuals from a dumpster. I might upload some pics when I collect them from work.

Quote Originally Posted by neoxide View Post
    I remember the days when you could get these on the roadside for free! They're getting harder to find these beasts...

I'm doing a cleanup over the Christmas break, I'll let you know if I can pull anything out. I have boxes of those LocalTalk adapters (the PhoneNet ones) and serial cables somewhere (where exactly is another question altogether). I might a drive or two but not many that small. I might be able to dig out a 100 mb SCSI drive though.

You might get some use out of this. I've never tried it, but bookmarked it a while back:
    Ooo cleanup

I've tried that SCSI trick and I think it worked on one drive... I think It allowed me to rescue data off our LC 475, but the drive died not long after.

Quote Originally Posted by neoxide View Post

Cheers I'll give that a try.

I've been able to source a new pds network card and also a pair of localtalk adaptors but if you could supply me a scsi HD I'd be very grateful.

Argh, not my week - now my LCIII HD has died, it spins up then shuts down! I took it apart and removed the black goop but it made no difference - looks like Im upgrading to solid state drive technology soon!

Argh, not my week - now my LCIII HD has died, it spins up then shuts down! I took it apart and removed the black goop but it made no difference - looks like Im upgrading to solid state drive technology soon!
    That is exactly what happened to my LC 475. I found if I booted it up about 10 times (on and off) the drive would eventually spin up.. but thats not good on the LC PSU..:O

I think all the quantum drives are pretty much at end of life now, shame as I love the sounds of their scsi drives.

So I grabbed a Yamaha external scsi crw6416 CD burner a few days ago and finally got it working using the toast CD driver.

However I can't get get the dam thing to boot from Mac OS CD's I've burnt from toast images found online using toast for OSX.

They do seem to work ok once the LCIII has booted with a CD driver tho. Is there any way around this issue with 3rd party drives?

I'm kind of wondering if it's an image issue because I can see the Mac briefly trying to read the CD before displaying the unhappy Mac.

So I grabbed a Yamaha external scsi crw6416 CD burner a few days ago and finally got it working using the toast CD driver.

However I can't get get the dam thing to boot from Mac OS CD's I've burnt from toast images found online using toast for OSX.

They do seem to work ok once the LCIII has booted with a CD driver tho. Is there any way around this issue with 3rd party drives?

I'm kind of wondering if it's an image issue because I can see the Mac briefly trying to read the CD before displaying the unhappy Mac.
    I've found you've got to burn bootable disks under OS9 if you want them to boot classic Macs... I think...

Ah ok, cheers. I've ordered a couple of scsi to SD adaptors so I'll try that then.

Here's it up and running any way.

Does anyone have a URL for ordering SCSI to SD adapters please?

I just recently picked up a Blueberry iBook which completes the set for me. Love them! Keylime I thought was one of the hardest to find but it was my first one. Blueberry I thought would be the most common and was the last I found. Keylime, Indigo, Graphite (and white), Tangerine, Blueberry and Graphite (with silver).

The hard drive has failed in the Indigo and the backlight has failed on the Tangerine, the others work and no missing CD drive covers (small miracle).

Default Post your Vintage Mac Gear!

I doubt the iBook is scsi, surely it's IDE?

Edit: Confirmed, it's IDE so any cheap $5 IDE to SD adaptor that fits will work.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ecs/ibook.html
    Last edited by djos; 20th January 2016 at 11:55 AM.

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast